1. It modifies their behaviour and thereby endangers them.
2. It could be dangerous for the diver/snorkeller.
3. It breaks the mucous coating on their skin, leaving them open to infection.
4. We should respect them. How would you like it if someone was jumping on your back?
5. They'll stop visiting here and go somewhere else.
Somehow none of these ever sound truly convincing.
Dean's reason of the sharks potentially getting killed as overreaction/revenge for an attack is one I'll add to the list.
I'm curious to know which of these reasons are the most important to those who are passionately against it.
Personally I wouldn't attempt to ride sharks myself but I have been guilty of stroking leopard (zebra) sharks, years ago.
Dean, are you against shark baiting/feeding? I'm not trying to bait you. Just genuinely interested.
Edited by Nick Hope, 26 April 2012 - 07:53 AM.