6 replies to this topic

#1 ScubaDuck

ScubaDuck

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:11 PM

Greetings all-

I am trying to decide whether to purchase the original or updated version of the Tokina 10-17mm lens. (Updated version discussed here) I was planning to purchase the Updated "NH" version, thinking that new and improved = better. When I tried to order, B&H sent me an e-mail indicating that the NH version is not in stock, and the manufacturer is providing no time estimate as to when it might be available.

The lens will be used on a Canon 7D, so I am less concerned about the improved angle of view for FX sensors, but I was intrigued by the improved lens coating and not having a lens hood to worry about needing to shave off. On the other hand, I'm not inclined to wait if the manufacturer is never going to get the product to market.

So my questions for the Wetpixelers are:
1) When used on a cropped sensor camera, does the NH version offer any significant advantages over the original?

2) Have any of you industry insiders heard anything about when the NH version might be available?

3) Should I just suck it up and buy the Canon fisheye for twice the price?

Thanks in advance-
ScubaDuck

#2 operam

operam

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:54 PM

Regarding your 2nd question, I see that Reef Photo and Backscatter have that lens on their listings. You can check with them to see if they have it in stock.
Nikon D7000 in Aquatica AD-7000 housing | 2x Inon Z-240 with 4600K diffuser | Tokina 10-17mm | Nikon AF-D 60mm | Nikon 105mm VR | Kenko 1.4TC | Aquatica 6" dome | Aquatica AF/MF macro port | Aquatica +5 and +10 diopters

#3 kannjihyun

kannjihyun

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:00 AM

not having a lens hood to worry about needing to shave off.

Why do you want to shave off the hood when you are using Canon 7D?

#4 Udo van Dongen

Udo van Dongen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:05 AM

Greetings all-

I am trying to decide whether to purchase the original or updated version of the Tokina 10-17mm lens. (Updated version discussed here) I was planning to purchase the Updated "NH" version, thinking that new and improved = better. When I tried to order, B&H sent me an e-mail indicating that the NH version is not in stock, and the manufacturer is providing no time estimate as to when it might be available.

The lens will be used on a Canon 7D, so I am less concerned about the improved angle of view for FX sensors, but I was intrigued by the improved lens coating and not having a lens hood to worry about needing to shave off. On the other hand, I'm not inclined to wait if the manufacturer is never going to get the product to market.

So my questions for the Wetpixelers are:
1) When used on a cropped sensor camera, does the NH version offer any significant advantages over the original?

2) Have any of you industry insiders heard anything about when the NH version might be available?

3) Should I just suck it up and buy the Canon fisheye for twice the price?

Thanks in advance-
ScubaDuck

Has anyone used this pre-shaved lens on a FF camera? How is the quality compared to the regular 10-17 mm Tokina FE? I compared my DX Tokina to the 16 mm Nikkor FE and concluded that the DX Tok is optically not good enough for my D800. So i was thinking of getting the Sigma 15 mm FE beause it can focus close, but if the pre-shaved Tok is as good as the Sigma, i'd prefer to go for the Tok.

Udo

www.udovandongen.com
Nikon D800, D800E, Hugyfot housing, 15 mm fisheye, 16-35 mm WA, 105mm VR Macro, 60 mm Macro, Subsee +5 an +10 wet diopters, Inon Z-240 strobes (3x), Inon float arms, Nauticam armclamps, Bigblue and Inon focus lights.

check out more photos on the facebook

#5 ScubaDuck

ScubaDuck

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:09 AM

Kannjihun- I don't know that I will ever need to shave the hood. That's one of the reasons I am asking- I have seen others discussing shaving the hood to avoid contact with the dome, so I know it is a concern for some. I don't know that it will ever be a concern for me, and may not be a reason to favor the newer model. Anyone with a 7D have issues with the hood on the DX model?

Operam- Good point! Based on past experience, I assumed that if B&H didn't have it, no one would. Will check with Backscatter today. I must say, the fact that the newer version is not readily available from the manufacturer does make me wonder of there is a problem with the newer models. Like Udo asked- Anyone with the "NH" model care to compare image/ build quality with the older version?

-ScubaDuck

Edited by ScubaDuck, 27 April 2012 - 10:11 AM.

#6 kannjihyun

kannjihyun

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:20 PM

I'm using Canon 7D with Nauticam housing, and I don't think APS-C camera like 7D would need to shave off the hood since it aren't gonna appear in the frame at any zoom range anyway.

My 10-17 Tokina is the older version. Even though it wouldn't help much, but the lens hood kinda gives me somewhat secure feeling that at least there is still some protection for the lens while I am shooting on land since the lens is not 'flat' like other zoom lens. Have been shooting with both mini dome and 8.5" dome, and there has not been any issue with the hood touching the dome as well.

#7 ScubaDuck

ScubaDuck

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:05 PM

Thanks kannjihyun- Perhaps I will just go with the older version then.

-Scubaduck