• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jwood1

jwood1

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:21 AM

I have been an amateur above-water photographer all my life, and finally took the plunge, so to speak, on a sailing trip to the BVIs. I had a Canon S90 and bought an Ikelite housing for it. I decided to go simple at first and shot available light while free-diving. Here are my two favorites: an octopus was nice enough to pose for me.

Posted Image
BVI sailing 2011_1343_octopus1 by blues_sailor53, on Flickr

Posted Image
BVI sailing 2011_1344_octopus2 by blues_sailor53, on Flickr

Canon Powershot S90, Ikelite housing, 28mm, no wet lens. Image shot while free diving in the BVIs, 15 ft depth, available light, 1/160, F4.0, ISO 200. Shot in RAW, post processed in ACR.

#2 DiverPam

DiverPam

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:39 PM

Welcome to the world of underwater photography. As you can tell, it can drian the purse quickly - but of SO worth it. Nice job wiith you first shots. I really like the second one. Looking forward to seeing more of your shots in the future.

Happy diving - DiverPam

Nikon D90 in Aquatica Housing, Tokina 10-17mm, 60mm macro, 105mm macro, Sigma 17-70mm, + Ikelite DS 161 and DS-125 strobe combo  www.flickr.com/photos/pammurph/

The Fin Foundation

#3 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:16 PM

Beautiful color, solid focus. Congrats. Your positioning works for these photos. Remember that it is often best to get slightly below your subject, thus, slightly shooting upward.
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#4 iDimka

iDimka

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:16 AM

not bad for first shots :)

#5 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1170 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:01 AM

Well done and welcome to the Madness! :)
· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm
· INON Z-240s & Sea & Sea YS-250 Pros
· SmallHD DP4 monitor & NA-DP4. Fisheye Aquavolt 3500s & 7000s
· Zen DP-100, DP-200 & DP-230

#6 yuesir

yuesir

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:51 PM

Nice job wiith you first shots ! and want to learn from you because I'm a still a neophyte in uw photography!

#7 chuckdee

chuckdee

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:07 AM

Second shot is really cool!

#8 Canon HI

Canon HI

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 12:02 PM

Nice work!

#9 Scuba_Doo

Scuba_Doo

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:02 AM

Better than my first shots, that's for sure.
Canon Powershot S95 with dual Sea&Sea YS-01 strobes

#10 adventurechik

adventurechik

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:21 PM

Really lovely shots ... well done and like the others, look forward to seeing more! :lol:

S95, FIX Housing, INON UFL-165 AD Fisheye Lens with INON S-2000 strobe (just one!)

Helping compact camera users to take beautiful pictures since 2006 and have helped over 16 guests to win prizes.

Author of "Underwater Photography for Compact Camera Users" and "Underwater Photography Made Easy for Compact Camera Users DVD."

Visit My Website

#11 jwood1

jwood1

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:57 PM

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I was lucky that this octopus decided to pose for me. He sat on a rock, and I was able to dive down and take several pictures of him. Shooting in raw made it easy to fix the color balance in ACR. I learned a lot from reading this forum. Thanks.

#12 Guest_patrickwilson86_*

Guest_patrickwilson86_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:29 AM

A good place to start your underwater photography experience is in the safer and manageable confines of a swimming pool. You can learn how to handle the camera in a wet environment; and if it falls to the bottom of the pool, then you don’t have far to go to retrieve it. Use your friends or family members as practice subjects. Shoot images from various angles above the water, at the water line, and then underwater.

Get more tips from the following articles :

http://www.nikonusa....hotography.html

http://www.photograp...ter-photography

Hope you will some good tips for underwater photography from the articles.