• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10642 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:46 PM

An amazing capture of a pod of dolphins stranding themselves on the beach, and then rescued by beach goers. Not the entire pod stranded though and there was no explanation of why they ran aground. Bizarre!

[youtubehd]ekmMD8oYtJ0[/youtubehd]

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#2 Cary Dean

Cary Dean

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:34 PM

Wow! Glad they ran aground on a busy beach with people willing
to help.

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever."
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#3 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:45 PM

That's awesome, well done to the people for racing to help although not the bloke for wearing the speedos :) I think the shooter will be getting some big bucks from worldwide interest in this!?

Dean
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#4 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:01 AM

I had seen this video elsewhere, can't recall where. Wish I knew why beaching are so common with dolphins and wonder if naval or other marine activities mess with their echo location. Many years ago my friend and on were on an isolated beach in Mexico resting between dives and a lone dolphin beached itself right near us. He and I had a rough time turning it around and sending it back out to sea but, at the time, we both thought that it might just re beach itself somewhere else. We will never know. Other than humans, I do not believe that there is any other animal that can be suicidal so, if this is accurate, than something must be causing these beachings.
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#5 underwaterlove

underwaterlove

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:54 AM

It's still a mystery to mankind why dolphins and whales beach. Underwater seismic activity might apparently also a reason.

#6 allen

allen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Interests:I spend most of my time alpine climbing, hiking, mtn. biking, or skiing. When I can get away it is to travel for climbing or diving. Been doing this nonsense for way too long to do anything different.

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:04 PM

Hey at least speedo guy got in there and did something, mister orange shorts, blue shirt did nothing. Funny all the women folk watched. When my wife and were helping put out a house fire in Belize it was pretty amazing watching every on help. Only a few stood around.

#7 roberto.formiga

roberto.formiga

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:30 PM

Just to add some information, this event happened in Brazil a few months ago in a small city two hours from Rio de Janeiro called Arraial do Cabo, wich is a very nice place to dive btw. I am happy that the rescue was successful!
www.robertoformiga.com

#8 emmacritchley

emmacritchley

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:25 AM

An amazing capture of a pod of dolphins stranding themselves on the beach, and then rescued by beach goers. Not the entire pod stranded though and there was no explanation of why they ran aground. Bizarre!

[youtubehd]ekmMD8oYtJ0[/youtubehd]

Wow, that's amazing - good job everyone was there to help them back in the sea

#9 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 12:20 AM

My only gripe is that I'm strongly against people touching wild animals :) ;)
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#10 bestphotobooks

bestphotobooks

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:53 AM

Wow! Thanks for sharing! Really bizzare.

#11 gavinparsons

gavinparsons

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:sharks, cetaceans and anything unusual

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:59 AM

Sorry I know this topic goes back to May, but I may have so relevant helpful information. I am a director of a UK based organisation called British Divers Marine Life Rescue. We rescue marine animals - whales, dolphins, porpoises and seals etc.

Dolphins strand for so many reasons that it is easy to speculate, but difficult to pin down what it could be. Naval exercises, chasing fish or a confused/injured/sick lead animal all could be plausible in this case. The fast response of the public was incredible, but if you are ever in a situation like this please please please, do NOT pull a cetacean (whale, dolphin, propoise) by the tail. The muscles and joints running into the tail are quite fragile when pulled ways in which they were not designed.

I don't want to diss what those people did, as they saved a lot of lives their, but it's better to have the information and you can tell others if you see it for yourself.

I hope that helps

Gavin Parsons
Director
British Divers Marine Life Rescue
Gavin Parsons
Photojournalist
BDMLR Director
All round nice bloke