- - - - -

Ipad / Android apps

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:21 AM

I have had a search for apps for Fish ID etc. specifically the Humann & Deloach Caribbean region ones.
Loved the books but lost them all a few years ago.
I see that they offer an eBook version .. but that seems so useless, especially as I need a new book reader app just to download them.

Ideally an app to cruise through the categories etc to find what you want easily.

Anyone seen any apps like this or know that they are coming ?
me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks

#2 ErolE

ErolE

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:37 AM

I have a couple of apps..

Neville Colemans marine life eguide is the best I have come across. The nudibranch guide by Gary Cobb, is also good, but it is only Indo-Pacific

Have also Reef Critters Hawaii and Reef Fish Guides Lite, but found these a little basic.

Erol

Edited by ErolE, 05 May 2012 - 07:38 AM.

Erol Eriksson
www.photographee.org
Unified Team Diving

#3 troporobo

troporobo

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:49 AM

I really wanted to like the "Guide To Tropical Marine Fish" app for the iPad and tried out the first two volumes, but I have to say they are disappointing and difficult to use. The thing I like the least about the series is that it comes in separate volumes, with no apparent rhyme or reason to its navigation, so you are constantly opening and closing volumes to find something. The final flaw is that the photos are really not of very good quality for the most part. I don't use it much at all

#4 steviet

steviet

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:13 PM

I have had a search for apps for Fish ID etc. specifically the Humann & Deloach Caribbean region ones. Loved the books but lost them all a few years ago. I see that they offer an eBook version .. but that seems so useless, especially as I need a new book reader app just to download them. Ideally an app to cruise through the categories etc to find what you want easily. Anyone seen any apps like this or know that they are coming ?

You're far better off buying them through amazon in ebook format or from the iBook store than depending on an app for that.
I not sure what you mean "I see that they offer an eBook version .. but that seems so useless, especially as I need a new book reader app just to download them.". You were going to have to download an app anyway so I'm not sure why you're saying it's useless. Considering the reader apps are free, seems like a highly useful thing to have around to store PDFs and books in.
Steve

#5 focker

focker

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:39 PM

I agree with Steve that either the Kindle or iBooks app would be the way to get great books that are easy to read, search and look through, probably much better then an most any app for fish ID.
Nauticam 550 w/ T2i - Zen 100 - Inon Z240 - Tokina 10-17 - Canon 60mm - Sola 600

#6 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:14 AM

If they were to dedicate an app to the fish id process it would be much more efficient than trying to flip through an ebook.

If I am wrong and the ebook has some sort of SUPER navigation then thats cool .. but generally ebooks are pretty rubbish for books you don't just open and read from start to end. Unless of course you know exactly what you are searching for.

SO in short .. I am not interested in ebooks .. I was asking about apps specifically and I saw Neville Colemans marine lifed guide and thought .. wow that looks REALLY well made ... i wonder if there is something for the Caribbean.
me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks