• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Donstar83

Donstar83

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:44 AM

Hi all. I'm going on holiday to Sharm AL Sheik in August and am looking to be able to take some nice UW shots whilst diving.

My camera is the Sony Cybershot DSC-H70. The only housing I can see for this camera is an Ikelite 6211.07 which seems to cost around 200. BasicallyI just wanted to ask you guys, is it worth spending that on this housing, and will that type of camera give me some decent shots? Or can you point me towards another housing?

Love looking at some of the shots you guys and gals post on here and hope I can replicate some come August :)

Cheers.

#2 Stoo

Stoo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:55 AM

Donstar, I think you will find that Ikelite offers good bang for the buck. Whether that camera is worth housing or not really depends on your future plans for u/w photography. I haven't used that specific camera, but in using a similar one, I found that the shutter lag was really problematic. If you are taking pictures of stationary things, that's one thing... But trying to capture fast moving sharks might be tough. Expect some shark tails!

If you expect to carry on with your u/w photography, you might find that some of the u/w photo retailers have some decent packages with much better cameras, possibly with a strobe that can be hand held... It might be worth investigating anyway.

The only other thing I would suggest, regardless of what you do for a system, try to get some practice on it before you go. Even it's just in a pool someplace. Have your buddy/model swim past you as fast as they can and see what you can get! Shooting sharks for your first subject will be challenging and if you've not had some wet time with your camera, the odds of getting a few "keepers" will be drastically reduced I suspect!

Either way, enjoy your trip!