Viewfinders: 45 or straight?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Alexx

Alexx

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Tec diving, Cave diving, UW photography and videography.

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:40 AM

I was also in doubt which one to buy, but I think for 45 degree is more usable (at least for me) and if it gets in your way to see the LCD you can always rotate it...

Canon 5D MK III, Aquatica housing, 2 x Inon Z240, Canon 16-35 f2.8, 2x Inon LE550W, 2xMangrove 4L6 lights

- Vimeo Channel -

#22 AndyBarker

AndyBarker

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Interests:Diving , Photography , Fishing ,

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:52 PM

HI,
I use the Seacam S45 viewfinder which once you have got use to it is very very good.
I did find it quite hard when I first started to use it but now its easy to use.
Andy

Andy Barker
D800, Seacam,S45, Nikon 60mm micro, Nikon VR 105mm micro, Nikon 16x35mm, Nikon 16mm, fe, Seaflash 150ttl & Seacam flash arms

#23 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2147 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:13 AM

I use the Seacam S45 viewfinder...

... I have to, because it takes my mind off the food that I can no longer afford to put on the table after buying a Seacam S45 viewfinder!

;-)

Tim

#24 AndyBarker

AndyBarker

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Interests:Diving , Photography , Fishing ,

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:08 PM

You have expensive food tastes Tim if you spend as much on food as a S45 viewfinder, in one go.

Andy

Andy Barker
D800, Seacam,S45, Nikon 60mm micro, Nikon VR 105mm micro, Nikon 16x35mm, Nikon 16mm, fe, Seaflash 150ttl & Seacam flash arms

#25 ralphy

ralphy

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Interests:riding my motorbike(s)

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:47 PM

HI,
I use the Seacam S45 viewfinder which once you have got use to it is very very good.
I did find it quite hard when I first started to use it but now its easy to use.
Andy

This mirrors my last 3 years experience (with the Subal equivalent) - tried a 180 recently and it just felt ... wrong!

R

#26 Longimanaus

Longimanaus

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 06:57 PM

I think it comes down to what you are shooting. If always in open blue water, then the 180 is fine.

If shooting along a reef or macro/muck I find the 45 is the way to go. It lets me control my buoyancy and hover more effectively when close to the bottom (no I don't think it is ok for photographers to lay all over the reef/substrate to steady themselves for a shot!). You don't have to get behind the camera as aggressively to frame the shot.

I think the 45 is the best all around viewfinder. I shoot the D700 on a Hugy housing and the viewfinder does not interfere with the LCD.

Matt
Nikon D700, Hugyfot, Inon Z240s, Nikkor 16-35mm, shaved Tokina 10-17mm, 105mm D series, 60mm, Zen 230mm dome

http://www.matthewramaley.com

#27 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2147 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:14 AM

You have expensive food tastes Tim...

Waitrose...

Tim

#28 Stoo

Stoo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:19 AM

How did you go with the new viewfinder?

Hi John...

Sorry for the delayed reply... I should have followed up with this.

So since I got this thing, I have added about 75 dives using it. As many of you pointed out, it did take some getting used to, but now that I am, I love the thing. A couple of observations though...

I think it's important to "use" the 45 as much as possible. It really took a bunch of dives to get to the point where framing with it was second nature. Prior to this, there was a lot of "hunting", especially with macro. This is also an issue with those "action sequences...". If you are trying to frame and shoot quickly, you're likely to poke yourself in the mask a few times before you realize this thing is hanging out.

On the upside... Midway through a liveaboard trip a couple of weeks ago, I commented to my wife that I had yet to crop an image. My framing was much more to my liking that when just using the regular eyepiece, where I had a tendancy to have my subject too high in the frame.

Also, the magnification and more clear image is really nice. It doesn't matter if I am shooting WA or macro, the benefit is immediate.

On one dive a while ago, I was hurrying a bit to get my system together, and decided to skip the few minutes it would take to install the 45, so shot with my regular eyepiece. What a mistake...

And finally, one observation from my "up north model/buddy"... He had trouble figuring out when I was shooting, because my face was pointing down. He just figured I was just fiddling with the camera. You would think that the dual 160s firing in his face would have been a clue. Great diver he is, but apparently not too bright! Posted Image

Anyway, this thing gets my seal of approval, and I highly recommend adding it to your kit, unless you are an infequent shooter, as others have said.

Edited by Stoo, 12 August 2012 - 11:21 AM.

#29 johnjvv

johnjvv

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:04 PM

Hi Stoo,

Thanks for your reply. I have ordered the part and should be receiving it today.

It is funny how you say you need to be using it to get used to it. I have been out of action for a couple months waiting for a drysuit to be manufactured. This weekend was my third time back in the water and to be honest I have been struggling a bit with everything, but I am blaming the drysuit!!!!!! :)

I must say I look forward to not shoving my reg in the sand using the viewfinder...

Will post again once I have taken it for a spin!

Cheers,
John

#30 johnjvv

johnjvv

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:50 AM

So I took it for a ride today and and it was quite a good experience. It did take a bit longer to find my subjects, I was aiming 45 degrees above everything initially which is probably expected. It was great seeing my whole viewfinder though!

It was quick and easy to attach to the housing however I was a little surprised how twisted the o-rings were from the factory, I suppose you are meant to lube them first anyhow so that does not really matter.

I took this pic of a Banjo Ray which would have been a pain without the VF and I did not have to pick sand out of my reg afterwards!

Attached Images

• Banjo Ray.jpg

#31 Stoo

Stoo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:20 PM

Stoo....

How did you go with the new viewfinder?

Cheers,
John

Sorry for the tardy reply... But what's a couple of years....

I've come to regard the 45 as one of my most cherished pieces of camera gear. I use it on every dive and it's the best thing since sliced bread. I shoot mostly wrecks locally, then the usual stuff when on vacation, but it works well for both. It does take a few dives to get the hang of it, even after a few weeks out of the water, but I just love the thing!