• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 PeteAtkinson

PeteAtkinson

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:52 AM

I appreciate the clarification Jean, and I'm glad to see that "send it back" is a last resort, rather than a first response to any problem. Best wishes!

#22 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10642 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:53 AM

Luke
Manufacturer tolerances sometimes just make a product DOA. That's life. You posted to get help on fixing issue, so let's concentrate on that. You can choose to work within the forum or with Aquatica, but let's get your issue sorted. You'll have plenty of time to get frustrated and angry after the issue is fixed.
Pete and I have offered possible trouble shooting tips.
Have you done a visual inspection of the button? Is it sliding along the guiding rods properly? Is the button depressing properly on both sides consistently (inside and outside the housing)?
If not, you'll have to strip the assembly apart to isolate the problem. Field repairs happen all the time and I've yet to hear of a manufacturer who'll deny warranty on a field repaired housing, especially one that's DOA. I'm not saying it won't happen, but that's why keeping open communication with the manufacturer is important.
Jean has already stated the parts will be sent to you IF needed. They just need to know what part to send and where. It's really your move whether you want this issue resolved or not. We are trying to help but we can't see or inspect the housing, so we can't help diagnose properly.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#23 Off Axis Productions

Off Axis Productions

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:15 PM

Luke
Manufacturer tolerances sometimes just make a product DOA. That's life. You posted to get help on fixing issue, so let's concentrate on that. You can choose to work within the forum or with Aquatica, but let's get your issue sorted. You'll have plenty of time to get frustrated and angry after the issue is fixed.
Pete and I have offered possible trouble shooting tips.
Have you done a visual inspection of the button? Is it sliding along the guiding rods properly? Is the button depressing properly on both sides consistently (inside and outside the housing)?
If not, you'll have to strip the assembly apart to isolate the problem. Field repairs happen all the time and I've yet to hear of a manufacturer who'll deny warranty on a field repaired housing, especially one that's DOA. I'm not saying it won't happen, but that's why keeping open communication with the manufacturer is important.
Jean has already stated the parts will be sent to you IF needed. They just need to know what part to send and where. It's really your move whether you want this issue resolved or not. We are trying to help but we can't see or inspect the housing, so we can't help diagnose properly.

thanks for taking the time. the set button slide doesn't slide consistently. I have taken it apart and adjusted the set screw with the rubber nipple out as far as possible and it works better above 50 feet. not all the time, but at least 60%. Today I ran into a bigger problem. I took this on a dive to 185' and any button I pushed would stick and remain stuck. These 300' springs don't seem to work. I have ordered the deep rated springs I asked for when I ordered this housing (I was talked out of them as I dive in the 150 to 250 range mostly and they would not be needed and more difficult to press). I will change these buttons whenever they arrive and if this doesn't fix the problems I believe I will have to look into returning this if possible.
Anything else I can try would be helpful. I can't afford to waste this kind of money and not try everything at least once. Thanks for working with me and not making me involve a third party

#24 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10642 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:46 AM

Well Luke, if all your springs are failing at depth then it's obviously (and unfortunately for you) due for a service run with the dealer. If you are doing the repairs yourself, I suggest you pressure test the housing before putting a camera in.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#25 Off Axis Productions

Off Axis Productions

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:33 AM

Well Luke, if all your springs are failing at depth then it's obviously (and unfortunately for you) due for a service run with the dealer. If you are doing the repairs yourself, I suggest you pressure test the housing before putting a camera in.

that is unfortunate as I've only had the housing for a couple of weeks. Well seems I'm kind of screwed. Hopefully I will be able to return it, but I doubt it. Know of any other housings for a mark ii that are rated to 300' or are you associated with aquatica?

#26 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10642 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:17 AM

I do know Seacam makes housings that go down to 80m and can be ordered to go deeper. Check with Stephen Frink. A word of caution, if you felt Aquatica is expensive, you won't like Seacam prices due to the US$-Ä conversion.

Errr no one @ Aquatica have ever even bought me a coffee! :lol:

Drew

#27 Off Axis Productions

Off Axis Productions

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:33 AM

Right now I would be happy if I could find a housing that worked. I don't mind the price, but I don't want to have to spend more money and time as soon as I get it to fix it myself. I know everyone says aquatica is a great company, but I have not seen it at all. I've only seen two of these housings for top end DSLR's and neither of them worked. Post edited-personal attack removed( Admin). If that is how they treat their customers then I am not interested in having one of their products

#28 gina

gina

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 06:43 AM

Right now I would be happy if I could find a housing that worked. I don't mind the price, but I don't want to have to spend more money and time as soon as I get it to fix it myself.

You know, if you had sent your housing in for servicing three weeks ago instead of spending that time here complaining about it not working, it probably would have been back by now and working perfectly. :lol:

-Gina

#29 fotofish

fotofish

Moray Eel

• Team Wetpixel
  • 83 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 06:28 PM

I've been reading this for a while. Now granted I'm not a deep diver but I use my housing a lot. I had some questions and contacted Jean about it. I'm talking about a used housing I bought (Ok, I'm cheap) and the communications with him were excellent. Aquatica stood behind a product they made a long time ago. Why? I think because the believe in their product and want who ever uses it to have the best they can give. The only other company that gave me better service was Dillon Reloading.

Oh yeah I'm going to have to rething my deffination of a remote location

Last statement. I don't have anything to do with Aquactica other than useing their gear

Stephen Nichols
Aquatica AD200/300 housing
Nikon D300
Nikon D200 Ikelite D200 housing
Dual DS 125's
Not enough glass to make me happy

Stephen Nichols

#30 Nigel Motyer

Nigel Motyer

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 01:25 AM

First up I am an Aquatica user, no connection to the company other than I have had four of their housings over the years.

Of the four housings I have had I'll say this, each housing has been better than the last in terms of function and usability and always the guys at Aquatica have been really excellent to deal with. They make a fantastic product at a great price and back up that with a really great aftersales service. My experience has not been without problems though. Two of my housings have had "issues". One, was cosmetic when I opted for a new coating they were developing and it started to come off the housing after the first few dives. It was replaced without any quibble at all.

The other second is my current housing, a Nikon D7000 housing, like some other people who have posted here I have had problems with sticky buttons on this unit. Once below 15 meters the 4 buttons connecting to the selector panel on the back tend to stick in once depressed, which in turn tends to depress me!

When I contacted Aquatica Jean knew about the issue and sent me a pack of parts to swop out and replace. Simple enough job which I did but it had no impact on the sticky buttons which weren't included the parts swap kit.

I contacted Jean again and he was back within hours to say they'd really they need to see the housing to fix tolerances etc and could I ship it. I have absolutely no doubt that Aquatica will fix this, but equally I have no doubt that I have to play my part in that too. Why our friend here won't just ship back his housing and get this thing resolved is beyond me.

To me this is an entirely reasonable request on behalf of Aquatica and to be honest, the expected approach. My only difficulty is that the diving season is getting underway here and to ship to Canada and back will leave me without the housing for a month or so and I don't want to do that right now. Better to struggle with what I have for a while and get some pictures than to have now camera to dive with, but thatís my choice. I know loads of folks have the D7000 housing and use it regularly with no issues at all.

Remember what these guys are doing, this is complex engineering, operating in a harsh environment, with loads of differing users of varied experience messing with their kit and we demand all of this as soon as the next camera hits the market. This is a tough gig, to expect it to be flawless all of the time is to be naive. Sometimes it will go wrong and it will need to be fixed, the real measure of the company is how they respond in these cases. Im my experience Aquatica and in particular Jean, have excelled in this aspect of what they provide.

So will I buy from Aquatica again, you betcha, great product, great price, great back up service and great guys to deal with. They get my vote. Well done Jean and many thanks for your assistance and help to me over the years, looking forward to many more.

To off Axis productions,....just ship it!
www.nigelmotyer.com

#31 Tim of the Deep

Tim of the Deep

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:40 PM

I am an Aquatica dealer in Micronesia and use many of their products professionally and am happy with both products and service response nd have been for years. I guess my huge, aching question, since this guy lives in the Keys, is why doesn't he just mail it to:

UNDERWATER CAMERA REPAIR
Mike Mesgleski
21912 SW 95 Place
Miami, FL 33190
Tel: (305) 234-0903
mikem@underwatercamerarepair.com
www.underwatercamerarepair.com

Or pick up the phone and ask Mike or get in the car and drive to Miami and show them the problem. I live in Guam. I AM remote. He's close enough to show this housing to one of the best repair guys in the business. Fill the tank and go.

He fixes my stuff well.