14 replies to this topic

#1 Bigeye Bubblefish

Bigeye Bubblefish

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:08 PM

Hello,

I just returned from an amazing trip to Coco Island.

A series of shots taken during that trip.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Bigeye Bubblefish, 07 May 2012 - 03:16 PM.

Nikon D90 / Aquatica Housing / Aquatica 8" dome / Tokina 10-17mm / Sigma 17-70mm / ULCS Arms / Ikelite DS-125 & DS-160
Find me on flickr

#2 Bigeye Bubblefish

Bigeye Bubblefish

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:10 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Nikon D90 / Aquatica Housing / Aquatica 8" dome / Tokina 10-17mm / Sigma 17-70mm / ULCS Arms / Ikelite DS-125 & DS-160
Find me on flickr

#3 Bigeye Bubblefish

Bigeye Bubblefish

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:12 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

I also created a small movie during this trip. It's been a lot of fun using a GoPro for the very first time.

[vimeohd]41511813[/vimeohd]

Here is a summary of this extraordinary trip: http://www.underseah...expedition.html

I hope you'll like it.

Thanks,

Damien

Edited by Bigeye Bubblefish, 07 May 2012 - 03:15 PM.

Find me on flickr

#4 buddy

buddy

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Interests:diving, photography, golf

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:05 AM

where are the hammerheads? big schools of and the great hammerhead....?

going there in June with undersea hunter!

Juerg
www.jvpictures.com
Nikon D4s, Nikon 16-35 /f4 VR II, 70-180,105mm f/2.8, Subal ND4 housing and ports, 2 Subtronic Fusion (flash and video lights), Sigma 15mm /f2.8, Subal 4" Minidome

#5 Bigeye Bubblefish

Bigeye Bubblefish

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:32 AM

Water temperature was too hot (between 28 and 30) and thermocline around 40m.
They were staying below 50 m.We were diving with a Nitrox 32, so it's been impossible for me to go deeper than 42m.
I asked the crew for switching my tank to air, but they refused... too deep, too dangerous :P

So, I do have pictures of hammerheads, but I do not have any impressive shot as they always stayed below us.
We had some action in Dirty Rock and Alcyon, but nothing comparable to my previous trip in Nov. 2009.

Anyway, it's been an amazing trip.

Edited by Bigeye Bubblefish, 08 May 2012 - 03:34 AM.

Find me on flickr

#6 gina

gina

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:57 AM

Fabulous shots! I love the color and the clarity you got - those are two things I just haven't had luck with capturing at Cocos, for some reason.

How many turtles did you catch? Were you able to tag any sharks?

Longing to go back,
Gina

#7 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
  • Interests:World travel
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:51 AM

3,4 and 10 do it for me. Wheres my credit card.

Stew

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

http://www.euphoticzoneimaging.com

#8 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1390 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:40 PM

Great photos.

We're off to Cocos in Sep and although it's peak season I'm fully prepared to come home without any decent hammerhead footage. I'm very lucky in most things underwater, but when it comes to hammerheads......

#9 buddy

buddy

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Interests:diving, photography, golf

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:09 AM

herared from someone (2nd hand) who was just returning from cocos that there were tigersharks almost on any dives....Seen any?

Juerg
www.jvpictures.com
Nikon D4s, Nikon 16-35 /f4 VR II, 70-180,105mm f/2.8, Subal ND4 housing and ports, 2 Subtronic Fusion (flash and video lights), Sigma 15mm /f2.8, Subal 4" Minidome

#10 gina

gina

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:47 PM

herared from someone (2nd hand) who was just returning from cocos that there were tigersharks almost on any dives....Seen any?

Yes. Reports are that there are up to ten tigers there now, the largest being a ~14 ft. female. They've returned to Cocos after a 30 year absence. I saw tigers on my two trips there in summer '10 and spring '11. You usually can tell there's a tiger around because the whitetips are nowhere to be found :P

-Gina

#11 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3057 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:16 PM

Exceptionally well done Damien! The video is absolutely stellar. I'm really impressed with the compositions you found and made. Really amazing stuff partner, congrats.

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#12 Bigeye Bubblefish

Bigeye Bubblefish

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:47 AM

This is correct, you can see tiger sharks in Coco Island.
They are mainly located around Manuelita Island, and the dive sites on the north-east of the island.
Your best chances to sight one is on a site called Manuelita Channel.

If I were you, I would try to spend most of my dives on Alcyone, Dirty Rock, Punta Maria and Manuelita (outside & Cleaning stations). This is were you'll get the best chances to see good shark actions.
On Alcyon, we had a whale shark swimming around us during 45 minutes !!!!!

Exceptionally well done Damien! The video is absolutely stellar. I'm really impressed with the compositions you found and made. Really amazing stuff partner, congrats.

Thank you very much Steve.
I sincerely appreciate your comments. I hope I would have had more hammerhead shots...

Here is a shot taken during my last trip to Coco (Nov. 2009).

Posted Image

You should have a look at this website : http://edwarphotovideo.com/

Edwar is one of the DM working with Undersea Hunter, but is also an amazing UW photographer.
Find me on flickr

#13 Danny Dives

Danny Dives

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:28 PM

Wow Damien, what a fantastically shot video I must say! Really enjoyed watching it and needless to say, the photos are stunning!

Favourites have to be the head on shot of the whaleshark - you captured the eye brilliantly! I also love photo 12 with the silhouetted WS in the background. Just so much awesomeness......

Very jealous you got to dive with a whaley for so long! I've snorkeled with them and that alone was an incredible experience, but to spend so much time with them must be a real treat!

Looking forward to part 2. :P

#14 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:47 PM

Been to the Cocos twelve times now and it is always a different trip each time. I generally only go during the period of late June through late August tho Sept is supposed to be good as well. During this time it is the rainy season and all the island run off brings in the nutrients and the hammers to be cleaned. Simon, you should have contacted me, would have gone again. I am sure you will have a great trip. It is my favorite place in the world to dive. When you leave, come up to San Diego before heading to the UK.

Great work on the video, it is amazing what a little GoPro can do in the right hands. Super photos as well.
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#15 Bigeye Bubblefish

Bigeye Bubblefish

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:12 AM

Wow Damien, what a fantastically shot video I must say! Really enjoyed watching it and needless to say, the photos are stunning!

Favourites have to be the head on shot of the whaleshark - you captured the eye brilliantly! I also love photo 12 with the silhouetted WS in the background. Just so much awesomeness......

Very jealous you got to dive with a whaley for so long! I've snorkeled with them and that alone was an incredible experience, but to spend so much time with them must be a real treat!

Looking forward to part 2. :D

Thank you Danny !
I will try to work on part 2 next week.

Been to the Cocos twelve times now and it is always a different trip each time. I generally only go during the period of late June through late August tho Sept is supposed to be good as well. During this time it is the rainy season and all the island run off brings in the nutrients and the hammers to be cleaned. Simon, you should have contacted me, would have gone again. I am sure you will have a great trip. It is my favorite place in the world to dive. When you leave, come up to San Diego before heading to the UK.

Great work on the video, it is amazing what a little GoPro can do in the right hands. Super photos as well.
Steve

Steve, I am jealous... 12 times to Coco !!!
I hope that I'll the chance to go there again, this is definitively the best place I've ever been diving on this planet.

Thanks for your comments.
Find me on flickr