• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 snowdog61

snowdog61

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:25 AM

Looking for some thoughts as to why my strobe has quite firing. Bought a used Japanese sourced strobe (6 months old) off ebay a few months back and just finally got it into the water. I had tested upon arrival - no issues with getting the flash to appear in the mirror while taking a shot in the darkened bathroom. I've made 2 dives with it and now I can't seem to get it working. I've charged the Eneloop batteries and the strobe ready indicator light glows nice and red (i can hear a faint chirping sound from the strobe but can't say if that's normal behavior or not). I've tried both sTTL & manual modes, taking the strobe off the arm and placing it directly in front of the camera's flash to bypass the FO cable but with no luck. I can see light through the optical cable so thinking that's not the issue. I'm thinking maybe the sensor or trigger circuit. Wanted to get some other opinions on options before I start looking at sending it back to INON for a repair. Thanks in advance

#2 DocTock

DocTock

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:29 AM

Looking for some thoughts as to why my strobe has quite firing. Bought a used Japanese sourced strobe (6 months old) off ebay a few months back and just finally got it into the water. I had tested upon arrival - no issues with getting the flash to appear in the mirror while taking a shot in the darkened bathroom. I've made 2 dives with it and now I can't seem to get it working. I've charged the Eneloop batteries and the strobe ready indicator light glows nice and red (i can hear a faint chirping sound from the strobe but can't say if that's normal behavior or not). I've tried both sTTL & manual modes, taking the strobe off the arm and placing it directly in front of the camera's flash to bypass the FO cable but with no luck. I can see light through the optical cable so thinking that's not the issue. I'm thinking maybe the sensor or trigger circuit. Wanted to get some other opinions on options before I start looking at sending it back to INON for a repair. Thanks in advance

Really basic question, and I feel like tech support who always ask "Is your computer on?", but are you certain your camera flash is functioning once underwater?
“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

#3 oskar

oskar

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:57 AM

Exactly, does the mirror-test still work with the same camera settings and are those the same you use in water?

If not working still: isn't this one of those strobes you may re-program with a magnet fro the number of pre-flashes to count before main flash? Maybe try to re-program it?

Really basic question, and I feel like tech support who always ask "Is your computer on?", but are you certain your camera flash is functioning once underwater?

#4 snowdog61

snowdog61

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:11 AM

thanks for the reply - i've done this out of water without the magnet so will try that but yes, i know the camera is firing.

#5 Aliens

Aliens

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:43 PM

Try with magnet in

#6 JimSwims

JimSwims

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:21 PM

It will depend on how your particular cameras flash behaves as to whether you need the ACC (Advanced Cancel Circuit) On or Off.

Inon manuals are notoriously hard to decipher. Andrew Newton has shared a plain English explanation of the Inon S2000 strobes functioning. Inon S2000, by Andrew Newton.

HTH and Good luck.

Cheers,
Jim.

My photostream on Flickr My gallery on Redbubble

D90 in Nexus; 60mm, Woody's Diopter, 105mm, SubSee +5 & +10 magnifiers, 10-17mm, Kenko 1.4 TC, 10-24mm, 18-55mm & Inon Z240 strobes.

#7 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1565 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:55 PM

If it won't work with the sensor of the strobe near the flash of the camera then you have a bad trigger and Inon will need to fix it.
Does the red light come on in all modes?
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net