Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
  • Interests:World travel
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:23 AM

Chuffed as punch to have another shot published on the cover of Diver UK.

The shot was taken at Jackson's Reef - Tiran, back in April. The trip didn't involve too many photos as I had a small leak the last time I dived in December. Luckily for me I was suffering from a bit of man flu at the time and couldn't equalise, so aborted the dive after 30 seconds and a depth of 2 metres. On returning to the salon of the day boat that we were diving from I noticed that my flood indicator light was on. Carefully looking inside of the housing I could see a small amount of water. Was this fresh water from the rinse tank or was it salt water from the salty Red Sea. After stripping the housing down and inspecting every o ring I could not see where the water was coming from. Luckily the lens and camera were dry. I didn't attempt any more dives on this holiday due to my ears ( and man flu ), and my swimming pool was too cold to get in to do any tests. So I returned a few months later to find out what the problem was. With the same port combination which I had set up when i aborted the dive I went on a dive. It felt really odd to be on a dive and not taking any photos, especially when DuncanS and I were blessed with a huge 4.5 metre manta and a Napoleon Wrasse the size of a dining room table. Inside of the housing there were drips of water entering, but very slowly. I could now clearly see where the drips were entering and hopefully would soon be able to eliminate everything else. On the next dive I swapped my ports over but still dived without a camera in the housing. No water entered on this dive so there was a problem with my NEW macro port. It wasn't a manufacturing fault but a fault of mine in that I did not screw on the new port 100% onto the new base adapter. Luckily for me there were no casualties, only my frustration of having to dive a few days without my camera and the annoyance of not setting my ports up correctly. What was the next days diving to bring. Bad viz and even colder water. For some reason the water was still at a really chilly 21c. Not too comfortable in a 3-5mm suit. I knew that I should not have donated all of my wetsuits to dive guides as I would one day need them. Still with the bad viz and cold waters come the swarms of jellyfish. Who needs to travel to Palau to get some great images of jellies. I managed to get a few nice shots and this one published on the cover of Diver in the UK.

Stew

Attached Images

• diver_cover.jpg

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

http://www.euphoticzoneimaging.com

#2 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:38 PM

Nice one Stew - looks like I made a contribution to the cover too - with a nudi bottom centre.

Hope the man flu has cleared up.

The current challenge among UK underwater photographers is to get marine life on the cover of our UK mags and end their obsession with "it must have a diver in the photo". Not an easy challenge, BTW.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#3 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3049 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:30 PM

Way to go Stew (and Alex). What the heck is man flu? Is that a British thing? Must have something to do with pubs.

Wonderful image partner, huge congrats!

Cheers, (unless it makes the flu worse)
Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#4 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
  • Interests:World travel
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:49 PM

Cheers Alex and Steve.

What the heck is man flu?

You might need to have a read

http://manflu.info/

Hope all is well Steve

Regards

Stew

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

http://www.euphoticzoneimaging.com

#5 DiverPam

DiverPam

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:20 PM

You have every right to be excited about that! Way to go. And Alex too.

Great shot - Pam

Nikon D90 in Aquatica Housing, Tokina 10-17mm, 60mm macro, 105mm macro, Sigma 17-70mm, + Ikelite DS 161 and DS-125 strobe combo  www.flickr.com/photos/pammurph/

The Fin Foundation

#6 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:32 PM

Congrats Stew, great photo.

Love Alex's articles too.

John

Nikon D800 | Aquatica Housing | Inon Z-240

#7 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:38 AM

...and that is Emry Oxford's thresher shark pic.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#8 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:43 AM

The current challenge among UK underwater photographers is to get marine life on the cover of our UK mags and end their obsession with "it must have a diver in the photo". Not an easy challenge, BTW.

Alex

Good luck. My powers of persuasion have not worked over a twenty year period! Nigel thinks it makes it look like a aquarist's magazine!

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?