4 replies to this topic

#1 sharky1961

sharky1961

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:56 AM

hi,

does somebody uses the Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 for underwater macro??
Are there telekonverters for this Zeiss lens??

rob

Nikon D800 in Seacam D800,  Nikon 16mm, 16-35mm, , 60mm, 105mm,1.4 and 2x TC, 2x Sea&Sea 110a, 2x Seacam Seaflash 150

#2 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1489 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:08 AM

two things I see as a limiting factor, one is that it only does 1:2 ratio, two is that it is manual focus, as far as TC goes I presume our usual suspect, the Kenko would work, given there is no AF involved, but as good as the Carl Zeiss is, it become a Kenko once you put the converter on it.

I certainly see the value of the lens top side, not so much underwater.
Jean Bruneau / Aquatica Technical Advisor

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

Aquatica Pro Digital housings for D-300s, AF 10-20mm, AF 10-17mm, AF 14MM, AF 17-35mm, af 17-70mm, AF 20MM, AF 60MM, AF 105MM, 2x Ikelite Ds 160, and TLC arms exclusively

#3 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10596 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:12 AM

as good as the Carl Zeiss is, it become a Kenko once you put the converter on it.

I think Kenko will not be sending you a birthday card this year Jean! LOL

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#4 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1489 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:39 AM

I think Kenko will not be sending you a birthday card this year Jean! LOL

Heck the way its going lately, I'll be lucky to get coal in my X-mas sock :P

Kidding aside, I have both the 1.4x and 2x and they do superb work for me, it's just that IMO, it is a lot of money and sacrifice (no AF, no 1:1) to go elitist on the optic and then slap a generic TC on it, I mean, if you gotta do it, you do it. I would get a 150mm Sigma f/2.8 instead since it does 1:1 right out of the box and has AF, then with a close up, you can go to town (in a civilized way) on the pygmies.
Jean Bruneau / Aquatica Technical Advisor

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

Aquatica Pro Digital housings for D-300s, AF 10-20mm, AF 10-17mm, AF 14MM, AF 17-35mm, af 17-70mm, AF 20MM, AF 60MM, AF 105MM, 2x Ikelite Ds 160, and TLC arms exclusively

#5 tonhil

tonhil

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:I am a keen SCUBA diver with about a quarter of a century worth of diving experience. I am interested in all sorts of recreational diving particularly if a camera is involved.

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:45 AM

I am thinking of doing this too. I am renting one of these lenses for a few days to check out topside if it really is worth the effort. I am not at the cutting edge of technology but I NEVER use my Nik 105 on autofocus so the manual focus of this thing is of no importance at all.
Submergo ergo sum