Wetpixel D800 review

• Please log in to reply
223 replies to this topic

#81 goose

goose

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Underwater photography and not much else.!!

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:10 AM

Is it just me or does anyone wish they can change the raw file size.!!!! With an extreme III 16 gig card it gives 290 images and when , Bear in mind we would do two to three dives before the card is removed so half that number, A bigger card might do the trick I've altered the jpeg file size but when shooting a lot of images underwater, don't wish my card space to be used up at a rate of knots.!!!

Goose
My Kit:- NikonD800 Nikon D90 Nikon Prime 105mm & 60mm macro, Sigma 15mm Nikon 16-35mm Nikon 12-24mm wide angle, Tokina 10-17mm (the tit's of a lens) Nauticam NA-800 Aqutica AD90 housing, coupled with X2 Z240 mofo strobes G.S.E. 360 Ring Flash.

#82 goose

goose

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:32 AM

Further more, to say the 3D auto focus tracking system is quick, is an understatement, I've tested it on my dads two English Setters while running at full pelt and covered in water, and it was stunning, it will more than impress underwater when dealing with macro.!

Goose

Edited by goose, 27 May 2012 - 06:33 AM.

My Kit:- NikonD800 Nikon D90 Nikon Prime 105mm & 60mm macro, Sigma 15mm Nikon 16-35mm Nikon 12-24mm wide angle, Tokina 10-17mm (the tit's of a lens) Nauticam NA-800 Aqutica AD90 housing, coupled with X2 Z240 mofo strobes G.S.E. 360 Ring Flash.

#83 goose

goose

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:45 AM

Does anyone know if there is a viewing window on the top of the housing.???

Goose

#84 davichin

davichin

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1104 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:55 AM

Does anyone know if there is a viewing window on the top of the housing.???

Goose

Depends on the brand... which are you interested in?
D300, D7000. 10.5, 10-17, 16, 10-20, 17-70, 60, 105, 150 Hugyfots, Subtronic Novas, Seacams 350, YS250s, YS-D1s
Aqualung Team
www.davidbarrio.com

#85 goose

goose

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:58 AM

Nauticam nauticam rar rar rar.!!! lol

goose

#86 davichin

davichin

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1104 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 11:36 AM

Nauticam nauticam rar rar rar.!!! lol

goose

It does not come with top window...
D300, D7000. 10.5, 10-17, 16, 10-20, 17-70, 60, 105, 150 Hugyfots, Subtronic Novas, Seacams 350, YS250s, YS-D1s
Aqualung Team
www.davidbarrio.com

#87 goose

goose

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:44 AM

"The SD cards are so slow they won't do much for the buffer. I'd shoot RAW to CF and jpg to SD. Or just shoot stills to CF and video to SD."
Sorry the quote thing did not work.!

CF Is way quicker than SD, I've had my D800 hooked up to my SB-900 flash gun on ttl and manual and to be fair the write speed it's bloody quic on both settings (TTL slightly quicker)so my question is how does it fair to a Z240 has anybody compared the two, and how quick does it need to be.!!

Goose

#88 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1739 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:31 AM

Hi Goose,

Your question is dependent on several factors, but whether you use fiber optic triggering of your Inon (manual or TTL), or manual triggering via an electronic connection, the speed is likely to be determined by the recycle time of the strobes, not by card write speed.

I would guess that even with an SB900, the flash's recycle time is the limiting factor too, although this will depend on how big each output is.

Strobe recycle time is dependent again on many factors-the power of each output, battery condition and ambient temperature.

If a fast recycling time is crucial (back to bait balls), then the Inon is poor solution. You will be better served with a larger strobe with a bigger battery capacity/output. This will mean it will be able to recycle faster.

So the short answer is that you can use either CF or SD card if you are using strobes, because the bottleneck is likely to be the strobes, not the card.

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#89 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1739 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:33 AM

Hi folks,

The review is nearing completion, and the first part should be online very soon.

Below is an example of some cropping:

Posted Image
Original image

Posted Image
Crop

This is not an extreme example of what can be done with this cameras resolution-but gives a general idea!

Another example of the tonal range. This was (deliberately) underexposed. The shadows were restored very simply in Lightroom:

Posted Image

Adam

Editor-wetpixel

#90 goose

goose

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:36 AM

Hello Alex and all the other D800 users!

I have a question regarding AF: I think the D7000 AF has some annoying issues:

In the AF-S mode we can ONLY choose 1 or 39 AUTO focus points and nothing in between (in AF-C mode we hace a lot of different options); the D300 is better in this aspect (even the D200 would allow more configurations)

The AF-A is a mix between AF-S and AF-C so if I have both S and C set with shutter priority: why is always AF-A locked in a focus priority mode?

Both of these problems could be firmware fixed...

How are the D800 AF modes? do they offer more options?

Thank you very much!

Hi There as far as I can tell the AF-S mode will only let you select single point focus, and will only focus on that single point selected regardless of 9 21 or 51, when auto is selected in the in the AF-S mode it will only select no more than 9 focal points around the single focal point you have pre selected in the info window. There is no AF-A as i can tell just yet, but I'm sure someone might point me in the right direction.!!!

Goose

#91 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1739 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:08 PM

The first parts of the D800 review are now online. You can view them here (on the Wetpixel front page).

http://wetpixel.com/...-camera-review/

I am working as I write on the next section which will be "Resolution, ISO and tonal range". I should have it posted in the next couple of days. I still have a little underwater testing to do for parts of the review, so expect that the full review will be spread out over the next few weeks. Please keep checking back for updates!

Adam

Editor-wetpixel

#92 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:17 PM

You've got me sold Adam. I'm defo getting one to use exclusively with the 15mm lens

Edited by John Bantin, 29 May 2012 - 10:18 PM.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#93 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1739 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:18 PM

Hi folks,

I've posted the next part of the review :). It is entitled Resolution, ISO and tonal range.

You can view it here:

http://wetpixel.com/...mera-review/P2/

Enjoy.

Adam

Editor-wetpixel

#94 sharky1961

sharky1961

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:02 AM

Hi Adam,

when can we expect the next part of your review??

Rob

Nikon D800 in Seacam D800,  Nikon 16mm, 16-35mm, , 60mm, 105mm,1.4 and 2x TC, 2x Sea&Sea 110a, 2x Seacam Seaflash 150

#95 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1739 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:08 PM

Today I hope!

Adam

Editor-wetpixel

#96 sharky1961

sharky1961

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:50 PM

Hi Adam,

looking forward to it. really enjoyed the first parts

Nikon D800 in Seacam D800,  Nikon 16mm, 16-35mm, , 60mm, 105mm,1.4 and 2x TC, 2x Sea&Sea 110a, 2x Seacam Seaflash 150

#97 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:34 AM

I think a very important point about using DX crop that I discovered, is that you get a full size image on the live view screen, not cropped as in the viewfinder - makes the concept of shooting DX much more useful.
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#98 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1739 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:28 AM

Hi all,

The next instalment is now online. The camera is now with Alex Mustard, who I hope will add some of his ideas to the review. I stil have a few more topics to cover too.

Image size and "shooting to crop" is here:

http://wetpixel.com/...mera-review/P3/

@Jeff-this is a good point. The only drawback is the focusing performance of the camera in Live View. More in my section on AF performance......

I also totally agree that the camera makes you a lot fussier about what you keep on the card :lol:

Adam

Editor-wetpixel

#99 Andrej Belic

Andrej Belic

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:54 AM

Again he's rushing :-)

I mean Paul Kay for Seacam...

Edited by Andrej Belic, 15 June 2012 - 03:55 AM.

#100 Andrej Belic

Andrej Belic

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:56 AM

Off topicish, but I've only just seen this but feel inclined to reply.

Firstly, the reason that I do not use matrix metering or its equivalent is because at the end of the day it is a form of automation. Its assessment of exposure is based on a variety of parameters and as such can be fooled and so has a degree of unpredictability built in. I prefer to use my own knowledge and experience and sort out exposure myself. This is not a counter but an explanation.

Secondly, I apparently rushed to Seacam's defence, but my observations were the same in the days when I used greeny-blue, film Subals. IMHO it is still not the colour but the reflections, perhaps allied to the round 'eye' like appearance of a port which causes problems.

Again he's rushing in for Seacam. It's so typical