#121 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:28 PM

My photo above was taken with Adam's shaved 15mm Sigma and 4" Zen dome. Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#122 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2129 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:19 AM

Ahhh...

... but I don't like shaving!!

Tim_3.jpg

Has Adam described his butchery of the poor lens?

Tim

;)

Edited by tdpriest, 28 June 2012 - 01:20 AM.

#123 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:26 AM

Didn't Fred Bavingdon already make the point that it would be better to shoot FX with the 15mm and crop rather than fit the Tokina and zoom to 17mm on DX? It was the argument that cost me a lot of cash but I am still awaiting my housing (promised for tomorrow) to find out!

Edited by John Bantin, 28 June 2012 - 01:26 AM.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#124 Cp

Cp

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:12 AM

This was shot last week with D800, shaved Sigma 15mm behind a Zen DP-100-NN:

Posted Image

Chris Parsons
Nauticam USA / Zen Underwater
innovation at nauticamusa
www.nauticamusa.com
954-489-8678

#125 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2129 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:13 AM

Now the serious questions: does shaving affect the flare performance?

I can't remember, off-hand, the exact lens dimensions, but seem to recall that the Sigma 15mm is a little longer than the Nikon 10.5mm and a little shorter than the Tokina 10-17mm. You used the Nikon version of the Zen dome? Has anyone seen if the Sigma has significant vignetting in the Tokina version of the dome (which might accomodate the unshaved shade)?

Tim

;)

#126 Cp

Cp

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:15 AM

Now the serious questions: does shaving affect the flare performance?

I can't remember, off-hand, the exact lens dimensions, but seem to recall that the Sigma 15mm is a little longer than the Nikon 10.5mm and a little shorter than the Tokina 10-17mm. You used the Nikon version of the Zen dome? Has anyone seen if the Sigma has significant vignetting in the Tokina version of the dome (which might accomodate the unshaved shade)?

Tim

;)

The shade on Sigma 15mm is quite long and I've seen two different shade shapes. The one we opened (and shaved) for the Digital Shootout last week was the long curved variety. Not sure if the more squared type is shorter though. Either way, it won't fit in the Zen DP-100 for 10-17 to my knowledge, and if you were to add enough extension, it would vignette.

Cheers,
Cp

Chris Parsons
Nauticam USA / Zen Underwater
innovation at nauticamusa
www.nauticamusa.com
954-489-8678

#127 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2129 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:04 AM

... it won't fit in the Zen DP-100 for 10-17 to my knowledge...

Thanks.

Oh, the (growing) pains of FX!!

Tim

;)

#128 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1755 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:18 AM

Hey Tim,

I can concur with Chris.

I accidentally left a 15mm extension on my dome whilst using it with the Sigma-strange circular fisheye effect is the result!

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#129 ErolE

ErolE

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 03:38 AM

How are all you D800 users finding your camera now the hyperbole has subsided a little? Still as impressive as it seems on paper? Any major performance issues?

Despite being a Canon shooter genuinely intrigued by this camera as there are certain features that are unique with it. As much as it pains me I might be tempted to get one for underwater shooting. I have a couple of Nikon mount Sigma lenses (15mm, 70mm macro) from my F90 days, so I would only need a wide angle. I am guessing from the reviews here the 16-35mm is the lens to use for wide angle?

Erol
Erol Eriksson
www.photographee.org
Unified Team Diving

#130 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1755 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:43 AM

Hi Erol,

I think that those of us using the D800 are still adjusting to just how good it (potentially) is :)

Posted Image

I have used Alex's 16-35mm and it is very clean I does need a big (9"+) dome and a long extension though.

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#131 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2129 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:13 AM

I have used Alex's 16-35mm and it is very clean I does need a big (9"+) dome and a long extension though.

The edges are prettty messy in the image above: what f-stop were you using, and what extension? I have a little sneakiness that I want to try when I get housed, and will report if it works, but knowing what's already been tried would be very helpful.

Tim

Posted Image

#132 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10641 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:45 AM

Unfortunately, my Nauticam NAD800 is already showing signs of rusting. 3 NAD800 housings here and one rusting, being the one most used in water... daily for 9 days!

PSJ2012_0423400002.jpg

Another 2 NA7D (about 7 months old) housings here also have rusting view finders. More evaluation is coming.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#133 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2129 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 05:22 AM

I have a little sneakiness that I want to try...

OK: preliminary trials (in the bath - just watch Wimbledon to see what British conditions are like this "summer") show the Nikon 16-35mm working behind the Anthis/Nexus custom 12-24mm port with a 30mm extension; I haven't worked out if its better with the bare lens or a +3D diopter. The bare dome seems to accommodate the Sigma 15mm with a Kenko teleconverter.

Tim

Posted Image

Edited by tdpriest, 08 July 2012 - 05:22 AM.

#134 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2129 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 05:26 AM

Unfortunately, my Nauticam NAD800 is already showing signs of rusting.

What state are the two sacrificial anodes in?

Tim

#135 Rene Zuch

Rene Zuch

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 01:36 PM

Hi,

I got my D800 waterproof (Ikelite housing) and did my first shots last weekend in a pool.

All done with the Nikon 16-85mm behind the 8" Dome. I was quite happy with the results. Autofokus was the whole time in 3D mode and did pretty well.

DSC_5771.jpg

DSC_5579.jpg

More pics in this thread.

Regards René

#136 ErolE

ErolE

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:29 AM

Hi Erol,

I think that those of us using the D800 are still adjusting to just how good it (potentially) is Posted Image

Posted Image

Adam

Thanks Adam

Yes I am sure it will take a while to get the full picture. Thats a nice shot..

I have been very interested by this camera for a number of reasons, the massive DR, 1/500th sync in DX and generally the increased ''hackability'' of Nikon.

However when all is said and done, my 5D2 and 7D are better cameras than I am a photographer and I think I d prefer to squeeze the best out of them before moving to something else. :)

Erol
Erol Eriksson
www.photographee.org
Unified Team Diving

#137 Scubysnaps

Scubysnaps

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, Aprilia RSVR, VW Vans! www.scubysnaps.com

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:27 AM

D800 in DX:
.....Poorer viewfinder (using D800 viewfinder in DX mode means a much smaller view than D7000 viewfinder). This is a significant point - unless you like small viewfinders!

Thanks for this point Alex, if you are saying the DX mode gives a smaller image thru the viewfinder than a D7000, but excuse my ignorance, never experienced a full frame camera yet. How does the viewfinder image view on the D800 in FX mode compare in size to a viewfinder on a DX body? I assume they are the same size?
Cheers
Paul

*Nikon D90 with Tokina 10-17 & Nikon 60mm, 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Kenko1.4 * 2 x Z240 & 2 x 12 litres...global! *

www.scubysnaps.com >)))>

#138 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2129 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:42 PM

I thought that I'd copy this over from the wide-zoom thread. I was very pleasantly surprised, not to say impressed: Nikon D800, Nauticam NA-D800, Sigma 15mm, Tokina x1.5 T/C, Nexus 12-24mm port. ISO 1600, illuminated by a single Sola 600:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Tim

Posted Image

Tim

Flickr galleries
Photobox; images on sale!
The Fin Foundation
Nikon D800 in Nauticam housing...

Edited by tdpriest, 14 July 2012 - 01:48 PM.

#139 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2129 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:46 PM

A crop from the camera's jpeg file:

crop.jpg

Tim

Posted Image

#140 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10641 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:00 PM

What state are the two sacrificial anodes in?Tim

Those were fine. The problem areas are isolated from the main body's zinc nodes. The viewfinder is surrounded by acrylic and thus the different metals start corroding very slowly. The other area from my experience with Nauticam is the handle plate area attaching to the main housing, notably the bolt and the plates. This is an ongoing issue with the brand. Nauticam's Edward Lai replied that the issue stems from the supplier's bad qc on quality of metal. Thus not every housing has this issue and it's obvious from the popularity of the housing, most don't see it as a major issue and a bit of molylube or some sort of contact resistance seems to alleviate the problem. That and vigilance makes it less of an issue.
For me, it's more an annoyance more than a major issue. Other brands also have corrosion issues at some point but it'd be nice if Nauticsm made this less of an issue.. It certainly doesn't deter buyers. In fact I'm selling the housing and camera already to a very happy buddy of mine after I finish up my stint in Africa.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.