5 replies to this topic

#1 HDVdiver

HDVdiver

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Interests:Dive,dive, dive...

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:33 PM

I just came across this issue at the M4/3 GH2 Hack forum...

http://personal-view...078/big-warning

http://about.usps.co...ml/updt_004.htm

This issue has been a pain in the a*** here in Australia for over a year now. Anything sent internally or overseas by airmail has to be signed off to legally declare that no dangerous items are in the parcel. ANY and ALL Lithium batteries are officially considered as not allowed for airmail. I recently bought a couple of Bladefish scooters for the kids from a shop in another state of Australia...and had to wait for 10 days for delivery by surface "snail-mail" because they contained lithium batteries.

I and my friends buy gear from the USA because prices tend to be a lot cheaper than here...and our customs/import duty is very generous with such personal imports.

So my question is...what do you think will be the implications of the new postal rules for shipping items with Lithium batteries to overseas destinations by USPS? No doubt some couriers will (as they do here) take advantage of this to have premium shipping rates for such items, but the extreme cost of this usually removes the cost advantage of buying goods in the USA instead of Australia. Will items with such batteries have to go by ship instead of air...as is now the case in Australia?

Edited by HDVdiver, 11 May 2012 - 10:41 PM.

#2 sideshow_Gary

sideshow_Gary

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:24 PM

maybe its better to ask for forgiveness not permission..

I just came across this issue at the M4/3 GH2 Hack forum...

http://personal-view...078/big-warning

http://about.usps.co...ml/updt_004.htm

This issue has been a pain in the a*** here in Australia for over a year now. Anything sent internally or overseas by airmail has to be signed off to legally declare that no dangerous items are in the parcel. ANY and ALL Lithium batteries are officially considered as not allowed for airmail. I recently bought a couple of Bladefish scooters for the kids from a shop in another state of Australia...and had to wait for 10 days for delivery by surface "snail-mail" because they contained lithium batteries.

I and my friends buy gear from the USA because prices tend to be a lot cheaper than here...and our customs/import duty is very generous with such personal imports.

So my question is...what do you think will be the implications of the new postal rules for shipping items with Lithium batteries to overseas destinations by USPS? No doubt some couriers will (as they do here) take advantage of this to have premium shipping rates for such items, but the extreme cost of this usually removes the cost advantage of buying goods in the USA instead of Australia. Will items with such batteries have to go by ship instead of air...as is now the case in Australia?

#3 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:42 AM

I don't get it. How will manufactures in any country be able to ship their lithium batteries to other countries if it is prohibited. Is this the end of Duracell?
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#4 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:36 PM

They will ship by private carrier. Prepare for price hikes!
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#5 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1534 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:17 PM

I don't get it. How will manufactures in any country be able to ship their lithium batteries to other countries if it is prohibited. Is this the end of Duracell?
Steve

I am quite sure that Duracell doesn't ship 3 trillion batteries per year via the Post Office. As I understand this new ruling it will only be for a short time and is intended to get the US in concordance with every where else. In any case, UPS/FEDEX/DHL will get a bit more business and USPS a bit less but probably not enough for anyone to notice.
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#6 randyj

randyj

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:33 PM

I am quite sure that Duracell doesn't ship 3 trillion batteries per year via the Post Office. As I understand this new ruling it will only be for a short time and is intended to get the US in concordance with every where else. In any case, UPS/FEDEX/DHL will get a bit more business and USPS a bit less but probably not enough for anyone to notice.
Bill

Fedex also has restrictions on the shipment of lithium batteries dependent on type i.e. computer bios, power source like strobes, etc. It is best to contact your local fedex depot for appropriate forms and restrictions.