#1 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1176 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:56 AM

Here's another question:

The few times I used my Canon digicam, I always shot on manual, and triggered my external strobe with my internal flash on 2/3 power, to save battery power. Will this be possible and still achieve TTL in A, P and S modes, with a S&S YS01 or will they have to have the internal strobe on full power? When they start out, I would like them to be able to attain TTL if possible.

Any advice from those that use this combo appreciated.

Marli
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig

#2 derway

derway

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1136 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:16 AM

TTL should work fine. Do you have a decent optical cable and optical connector on the housing?
Don Erway
http://picasaweb.google.com/onederway/
http://www.pbase.com/derway

nikon n90s/ikelite housing/twin SS-200 canon G2/ikelite/DS-50/optical TTL slave
sony V3/ikelite/DS-51/Heinrich DA2 slave

#3 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1176 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:35 AM

Unfortunately, I am trying to plan a course without having the equipment. I will have beginner students with this set-up. It's weird to plan without having your hands on the equipment.

Thanks for your reply,
Marli
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig

#4 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:41 PM

Unfortunately, I am trying to plan a course without having the equipment. I will have beginner students with this set-up. It's weird to plan without having your hands on the equipment.

Thanks for your reply,
Marli

When you shoot in TTL you can't set the internal flash to the minimum power. So the power consumption will depend mostly to how well exposed are the pictures and how strong is the external strobe
For normal use in TTL you can get 2+ dive out of a battery for an S95 if you shoot in normal conditions things within 2-3 feet max
Does this help?

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#5 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1176 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:09 PM

Thanks! I wasn't thinking. This seems a bit obvious now. I'll chalk it up to a blond moment.

Cheers,
Marli
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com

#6 samplin

samplin

Moray Eel

• Team Wetpixel
  • 91 posts
  • Interests:Mt. Biking

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:39 PM

If you put the strobes on TTl and the Flash Stetting on Auto. You get a other choice of + or - 2 stops.. I wonder if the output of the on board changes and that might save batteries.
Tried looking in the manual for this feature, but I could not find anything.

The TTL seem to work last week on the East End Grand Cayman.. Compass Resort May 2012

Edited by samplin, 13 June 2012 - 07:40 PM.

Joe Samplin Peoria Arizona

My Smugmug

Canon S100. 2 YS-01 Fisheye FIX Housing

#7 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:35 PM

If you put the strobes on TTl and the Flash Stetting on Auto. You get a other choice of + or - 2 stops.. I wonder if the output of the on board changes and that might save batteries.
Tried looking in the manual for this feature, but I could not find anything.

The TTL seem to work last week on the East End Grand Cayman.. Compass Resort May 2012

That is true but it is also true that you get the additional increase of fstop so should only be used if you have over or underexposure not to save batteries

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog