SmallHD DP4 - DP6

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Alexx

Alexx

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Interests:Tec diving, Cave diving, UW photography and videography.

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:29 AM

Hy guys,

Looks like SmallHD DP monitors has become quite popular on the market. I was wondering if some of the leading housing manufacturers gonna make housing for DP4 or DP6 in near future? Any rumors going around maybe?

Cheers

Dive safe

Canon 5D MK III, Aquatica housing, 2 x Inon Z240, Canon 16-35 f2.8, 2x Inon LE550W, 2xMangrove 4L6 lights

- Vimeo Channel -

#2 in_minsk_we_trust

in_minsk_we_trust

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:59 AM

Review here

#3 Alexx

Alexx

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:19 AM

I wonder if Nauticam`s DP4 housing can be used with Aquatica camera housing? Can Nauticam housing bulkhead connector (for HDMI cable) be installed on Aquatica?

Edited by Alexx, 13 May 2012 - 10:19 AM.

Canon 5D MK III, Aquatica housing, 2 x Inon Z240, Canon 16-35 f2.8, 2x Inon LE550W, 2xMangrove 4L6 lights

- Vimeo Channel -

#4 dykvideo

dykvideo

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Diving and sailing.

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:27 AM

I wonder if Nauticam`s DP4 housing can be used with Aquatica camera housing? Can Nauticam housing bulkhead connector (for HDMI cable) be installed on Aquatica?

I think you can read it somewhere, i believe it is Backscatter, where you can read which housings are compatible.

Is it possible to change a bulkhead to a HDMI bulkhead on any DSLR housings aswell??

Søren
www.dykvideo.dk

#5 Cp

Cp

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:34 PM

Yes, this will be possible - we are getting ready to produce a 1/2" bulkhead for housings like Aquatica - should be out soon. There also needs to be enough space for the HDMI connector inside the housing where the HDMI connects. We have a proper 90º connector that makes it possible for a lot of housings, but it might still be too tight on some.

Cheers,
Cp

Chris Parsons
Nauticam USA / Zen Underwater
innovation at nauticamusa
www.nauticamusa.com
954-489-8678

#6 kun1

kun1

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:57 PM

Yes, this will be possible - we are getting ready to produce a 1/2" bulkhead for housings like Aquatica - should be out soon. There also needs to be enough space for the HDMI connector inside the housing where the HDMI connects. We have a proper 90º connector that makes it possible for a lot of housings, but it might still be too tight on some.

Cheers,
Cp

When will the shade be available for the Nauticam DP4 housing?

#7 in_minsk_we_trust

in_minsk_we_trust

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:11 PM

Just in case anybody has been looking at these, it appears that SmallHD has dropped their prices on the DP4 by $100. Not sure if this is just a temporary thing or if they plan to keep them at this price, but it may help somebody "pull the trigger".

#8 Alexx

Alexx

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:04 PM

Cheers,
Cp

When do you think that adapter will be ready?

- Vimeo Channel -

#9 betti154

betti154

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:30 AM

Anyone know if there is a DP6 housing in the works?
Damien Siviero
Canon 5DmkIII + 7D. Aquatica Housing. Ikelite + Inon Strobes. Canon + Tokina Glass.
http://damiensiviero.com

#10 Alexx

Alexx

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:47 AM

Cheers,
Cp

Hy Cp,

What is the progress of 1/2" bulkhead for Aquatica housings?

Thank you

- Vimeo Channel -

#11 escape

escape

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:38 AM

dp4.jpg

Note to future DP4 monitor buyer (Canon user):

I know somebody already mention this on article but...
If you want use DP4 with Canon 7D or 5DMK2/3, ask them (SmallHD) you want modded DP4 for 7D.
When I just purchased monitor last Feb, my 7D often felt to Error 80 (locks up the camera. MUST pull battery to reset.) if I forgot to turn on camera first then monitor.
And other problem, camera's lcd is always off when dp4 connected via hdmi cable(If dp4's battery going out then you're blind).
It happend few times underwater and I forced back to the boat when I was in Ambon/Lembeh last Mar.
After trip, I sent it back to SmallHD and they quickly send me "modded DP4 for 7D"(it's doesn't have problem and works even better w/ 5dmk3 then standard version).

Reference.
Error 80 on Canon 7D with DP4:
http://www.smallhd.c...5895/KB.7809/.f

Edited by escape, 21 July 2012 - 05:40 AM.

#12 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1990 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 04:07 AM

EunJae, did you get some problem with a melted battery with this monitor? Did you find the cause?

#13 escape

escape

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 04:25 AM

EunJae, did you get some problem with a melted battery with this monitor? Did you find the cause?

The DP4 does get quite hot when it's running.
Melted battery was non-genuine LP-E6 from ebay, DP4 run by two batt and other genuine one was ok.

#14 Alexx

Alexx

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:18 AM

dp4.jpg

If you want use DP4 with Canon 7D or 5DMK2/3, ask them (SmallHD) you want modded DP4 for 7D.
When I just purchased monitor last Feb, my 7D often felt to Error 80 (locks up the camera. MUST pull battery to reset.) if I forgot to turn on camera first then monitor.
And other problem, camera's lcd is always off when dp4 connected via hdmi cable(If dp4's battery going out then you're blind).
It happend few times underwater and I forced back to the boat when I was in Ambon/Lembeh last Mar.
After trip, I sent it back to SmallHD and they quickly send me "modded DP4 for 7D"(it's doesn't have problem and works even better w/ 5dmk3 then standard version).

Reference.

Hy, I have the same problem with mine DP4. They told me that it is Canons issue and that they cant do anything about it! What did they modded on DP4? mine works always if I first start camera then monitor. Always before dive I need to start camera then monitor and finaly attach HDMI cable to camera and close housing.. It is pain in the %&/!

Thanks

- Vimeo Channel -

#15 escape

escape

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:30 PM

Alexx, tell them you‘re using it underwater. I missed some really nice behavior scene because camera locked up. Now I can comfortably on/off monitor and camera underwater for conservation battery.

Edited by escape, 26 July 2012 - 05:43 PM.

#16 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts
  • Interests:Lots. I take things apart, modify things and make things.

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:24 AM

Looks like the GH2 (hacked version) has some problems too. Need to switch DP4 on and then toggle to HDMI input and then turn camera on. Otherwise no video sync. Once that is done DP4 could be turn off and on without sync loss.

Tried with 5D MIII and D800. No issues.

I love the look of their DP7-Pro...amazing features. .

Cheers

David

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

Email: info@scubacam.com.sg

http://www.scubacam.com.sg/

#17 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1765 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:57 AM

Just another OK check-works fine with Nikon D7000 and D800.

As you are using the raw video feed on the latter, you lose all the info displays. However, the camera's LCD stays on and gives the info if you need it.

One small point- my NA-DP4 is an early prototype, and when I changed the battery plate to take the Nikon EN-EL batteries, had to do a minor modification to get it to fit. I just trimmed back very slightly the monitor support. It may well be that newer housings do not have the problem, but it is worth checking before you try and close it miles out at sea....

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#18 Alexx

Alexx

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 03:36 AM

Hy, does someone know can NA-DP4 housing be connected with Aquatica housing. Previous in the thread member "Cp" said that they are producing 1/2" bulkhead for housings like Aquatica, but since then no word from him...

I am anxious to buy the housing but I don't know will I be able to connect it?

Thank you

- Vimeo Channel -

#19 escape

escape

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:27 PM

The newer version of DP4 doesn't have this problem.
Recently, I order another one for my friend and this is what I got from their support dept.
"All of our DP4's now* come with that mod so you are good to go".

dp4.jpg

Reference.

#20 Scuba_SI

Scuba_SI

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1063 posts
  • Interests:Owner / Manager / Handyman at NAD-Lembeh.

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:38 PM

I was just about to send you an email of complaint!

Thanks for clarifying, EJ.

Nauticam Rossa / 5Dmk3 / A7r / EM-1 / S110

http://vimeo.com/lembehmuckdiver

www.nad-lembeh.com: 2:1 diveguide ratio for June / July 2014!!