• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:42 AM

Looking for a good tripod for the Nauticam housing. Any recommendations?
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#2 kun1

kun1

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:06 AM

Looking for a good tripod for the Nauticam housing. Any recommendations?
Steve

I've ordered a XIT 404 for my nauticam housing. Might be a consideration for you.

#3 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1170 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:41 AM

I have the XIT and the Gorillapod / Ball Head X. For real serious tripod mounted projects go with the XIT but for opportunistic use the Gorillapod is better. With the QD fitting provided by the Ball Head X its a cinch to fit and remove.
· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm
· INON Z-240s & Sea & Sea YS-250 Pros
· SmallHD DP4 monitor & NA-DP4. Fisheye Aquavolt 3500s & 7000s
· Zen DP-100, DP-200 & DP-230

#4 Rainer

Rainer

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:03 AM

Which GorillaPod and ball head are people using with their DSLR rigs? I happen to already have their smaller SLR-Zoom tripod. Would this be up to the task (Aquatica D7000 housing and HID video lights)? If not, which model would you recommend? Are these GorillaPods (legs and ballhead) really waterproof or will they corrode from saltwater exposure?

Also, which ballhead is recommended? There's the Ballhead for SLR-Zoom and the Ballhead X for Focus.

Thanks!

#5 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1170 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:53 AM

The Focus and Ballhead X are the ones to go for. I do use SLR zooms too but only to mount relatively light weight off-camera strobes and video lights. I'm not convinced the Ballhead X is going to stand up to long term marine use but so far it's fairing better than a Manfrotto Ballhead which quickly corroded. The Focus seems to resist corrosion very well.

HTH, Tim
· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm

#6 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:16 PM

Much thanks for the feedback. Will look into all of them
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#7 Rainer

Rainer

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:25 PM

The Focus and Ballhead X are the ones to go for. I do use SLR zooms too but only to mount relatively light weight off-camera strobes and video lights. I'm not convinced the Ballhead X is going to stand up to long term marine use but so far it's fairing better than a Manfrotto Ballhead which quickly corroded. The Focus seems to resist corrosion very well.

HTH, Tim

Thanks. I might just try using my SLR Zoom, but only because I already have one sitting around. I suspect it might not be up to the task.

Do you make use of the ballhead for anything beside shooting verticals? I'm really only interested in using the tripod for horizontal video, so just wondering if I might be able to get away with just using the tripod directly connected to the housing (no ballhead). Your thoughts?

#8 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1170 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:26 PM

Sure, it's quite possible to attach the Focus direct to the housing but ease of framing and quick attach / detach capability would be compromised. However and in fairness, I don't shoot DSLR macro video but I can image that a fixed platform would be difficult to work with. Most of the work I do with the Focus is deep, low ambient light stills with the Gorillapod wrapped around superstructure, etc. A Ballhead is pretty much essential for accurate framing and composition as will be, I suspect, my new NA-DP4.

HTH, Tim

#9 decosnapper

decosnapper

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:02 PM

I use a Manfrotto 190B & Bogen ball head. Its been used on and off for about 8 years in a variety of fresh and salt water. Nothing more than a rinse off and a squirt of WD-40 and it works fine. I did replace all the fixings I could with stainless steel, but apart from that its stock and still working as intended.

It still needs a kg or two hanging under to make it nice and stable.

Gorillapods for remote strobes...
Simon Brown

www.simonbrownimages.com