Photo
- - - - -

You know you are a U/W/ photo nerd when...

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 JKrumsick

JKrumsick

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Philosophy, various libations, light hearted debauchery, Chromatophores and the occasional tupperware party.

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:59 AM

When your wife suggests an evening investigating the best use of a lubricant and you promptly head to the camera room and work on lubricating O-rings all evening. :)

That's taking it too far!! I think exploring the best use of lubricant with your wife will probably bring inspiration to your photographs... So please... explore the lubes with your wife and not your housing :-).

#22 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:54 PM

KY on o-rings....hmmm never thought of that.
steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#23 Marjo

Marjo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Interests:Conservation photography, climate change resilience, species and habitat conservation

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:05 PM

You know you are an uw photo nerd geek when your husband puts in a special request 6 months in advance of arrival of house-guests for special permission to clear dining-room table of uw camera gear for a [gasp!] dinner!

Edited by Marjo, 31 May 2012 - 08:06 PM.

#24 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:21 PM

The D800. Did we really need so many Mp?

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#25 r4e

r4e

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:43 PM

you dive with 2-3 cameras and 2 hand held lamps.

vimeo.com/r4e

http://www.cerella.fi for the Underwater Photographer and Videographer

#26 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1241 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 16 June 2012 - 01:52 PM

You buy gear. You buy more gear and sell some. You buy and sell again repeatedly. You write about it all on a blog.

Then you open an internet store and sell a few things online. Then you sell more.
Then more and open another store online that's bigger. And bigger yet.

Then you open a retail store and quit your day job.
You look around and you have shelves and shelves of stuff that you now buy by the case.

Holy crap what happened? ;-)
Jack

Edited by JackConnick, 16 June 2012 - 01:53 PM.

Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com Sea & Sea, Olympus, Ikelite, Athena, Zen, Fix, Nauticam, Aquatica, Seacam, Gates, 10Bar, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line - Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories
Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean Sales Blog
Flickr Gallerys: Optical Ocean on Flickr

#27 Marjo

Marjo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Interests:Conservation photography, climate change resilience, species and habitat conservation

Posted 16 June 2012 - 04:30 PM

...when you hand every single bit of money you ever get to your "dealer"...

#28 eyu

eyu

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 01:53 PM

You know you are a UW photo nerd junkie when you pre-order a D800 after reading a review and pre-order a Subal housing on the same day assuming that Subal will make one. Then after receiving the D800 you figure you need a new MacBook Pro to handle the 40 mb raw files.

Nikon D800E, D800, Subal ND800, Inon Z240, ULCS with StiX floats

#29 ce4jesus

ce4jesus

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1639 posts
  • Interests:Anything Ocean (How'd I end up in Colorado?)<br /><br />A Christian Marine Conservationist?

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:12 PM

When the thought of seeing fish butts gets you excited. When you understand the meaning of muddy blues
Gary
Olympus E-520, TLC arms, Inon Z-240s, 50mm, 14-42mm woody's diopter

#30 fforbes

fforbes

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Interests:diving warm and cold, photography, golf, travel of every kind

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:12 AM

"You know you are a UW photo nerd junkie when you pre-order a D800 after reading a review and pre-order a Subal housing on the same day assuming that Subal will make one. Then after receiving the D800 you figure you need a new MacBook Pro to handle the 40 mb raw files."

OMG, Eyu, that's me!

Oh wait, I'm a little better than that, I waited a week before ordering... then ordered the new MacBook Pro a day later.
Fletcher

fletcherforbes.com
Nikon D800, Subal, Sea&Sea D1's

#31 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:18 PM

You know you are a UW photo nerd junkie when you pre-order a D800 after reading a review and pre-order a Subal housing on the same day assuming that Subal will make one. Then after receiving the D800 you figure you need a new MacBook Pro to handle the 40 mb raw files.

What are you trying to do to us? "sob"

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#32 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent

Posted 23 June 2012 - 06:39 AM

What are you trying to do to us? "sob"

Attached Images

• _SSC3911.jpg

#33 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2129 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:23 AM

Ho, ho, ho...

... and Santa will have to be extremely generous this year....

#34 Walt Stearns

Walt Stearns

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Interests:Diving and underwater photography of course with a little rebreathers, cave diving, marine science and natural history thrown in.

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:59 AM

Here’s another take on you know you are a underwater photographer when you try to make a profession out of it.

An Underwater Photographer as seen by…

My self: An artist on the verge of greatness.
Mom: Unemployed.
Dad: I put him through college for this?

Myself: a bigger than life photographer with a truly artistic eye that knows how to capture the true essence of the subject.
The magazine’s Art Director: another imbecile who manages to make images shot with a $10,000 camera system look like they were shot with $150 point and shoot with a thumb smear on the lens.

Myself: a true master and commander with the right insight to steer a publication on a productive course.
The publisher: another imbecile sure to be unaccountable if he were allowed to the Magazine’s Photo Director.

Myself: a role model to all aspiring underwater photographers.
My Colleagues: another photographer who hasn’t learned how to properly use Photoshop.

Myself: a skilled professional whose work requires travel to exotic places, as well as spend inordinate sum of money on dive and photo equipment purchases – all of which deductible on schedule C of my tax return.
My neighbor: a guy running a disability scam.
My high-school reunion classmates: A guy living off a trust fund or married into money.

Myself: a creative artist who’s tangible assets on the verge of fame and fortune.
My accountant: one step away from filling bankruptcy, an audit by the IRS and going to jail for tax evasion.

Myself: a man living his dream, adventurously living by my wits.
The wife: At least I am the one with a real job that pays the bills.

#35 allan

allan

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:20 AM

This is/was the best series yet!

Especially the 'myself, neigbor, wife' etc.

I often ask myself, "why do i do this?" Does anyone really care?

Well, I guess i and you folks do.

Allan

#36 fforbes

fforbes

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Interests:diving warm and cold, photography, golf, travel of every kind

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:49 AM

I heard an old quote from Picasso today... " The critics get together and talk about aesthetics. The artists get together and talk about turpentine."

I thought that was hilarious! and pretty nerdy too!

Fletcher
Fletcher

fletcherforbes.com
Nikon D800, Subal, Sea&Sea D1's

#37 saudio

saudio

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:58 AM

When your spare SOLA 800 modeling light makes it into your carry on luggage, but your insulin kit gets checked.

#38 Ricardo V.

Ricardo V.

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:40 PM

When only dive destinations with u/w photo op's are considered when planning family vacations.

#39 Guest_patrickwilson86_*

Guest_patrickwilson86_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:56 PM

You only have two choices of camera types to use underwater, day or night: an inexpensive, disposable, waterproof camera or a waterproof housing for a standard compact or DSLR camera. The second option will obviously cost more than the first; however, any disposable camera has very limited optics and controls, which, in turn, limits the quality of photos you can take.

#40 cjs_777

cjs_777

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Underwater Photography of course! :P

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:03 AM

...when the highlight of your entire weekend, was finding and shooting a 'new' 1/2inch Nudibranch! :P