• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2837 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:10 AM

This was the captain of the ship that, in 2002, caught illegal shark finning boats off the Cocos Islands and Punteraneous, Costa Rica in 2002. All charges against him were then dropped but now they decided to charge him again and he was arrested in Germany for extradition to C.R. A petition of protest and more info can be found here http://www.thepetiti...se-paul-watson/
I signed, hopefully, you will as well.
Steve
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#2 derway

derway

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1136 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:13 PM

Don't know if the petition site will be fast enough. Direct email might be needed. Here is announcement I got.

https://my.seashephe...mp;erid=3816386

All hands on deck! Captain Paul Watson has been arrested in Germany and may be extradited to Costa Rica where he will face a politically motivated, unfair trial — unless you help!

We have 15 hours to make our case to Germany's Federal Minister of Justice. Her name is Sabine Leutheusser-Schnarrenberger. She is the only person in the world who can step in to overturn the decision of the lower courts in Germany and keep Captain Watson from being extradited to Costa Rica. If she does not make this decision in the next 15 hours, Captain Watson will be held in jail in Germany for 90 days pending an appeal process prior to his extradition.

We cannot allow Captain Watson to be extradited to Costa Rica or be held in a German prison for 90 days. He has too much work to do for the oceans!

Please be respectful in your communications and contact the Federal Minister of Justice.

Sea Shepherd has many upcoming hurdles to face — in the water and in the courtroom. We will not stand down in the face of corruption and greed. In addition to contacting the Federal Minister of Justice, please make a donation to keep us afloat. We depend on you.

For the oceans,

Sea Shepherd HQ

P.S. We have written a sample letter and given you the Minister's contact information on our website. Don't delay. Your help is needed now to #FreePaulWatson.
Don Erway
http://picasaweb.google.com/onederway/
http://www.pbase.com/derway

nikon n90s/ikelite housing/twin SS-200 canon G2/ikelite/DS-50/optical TTL slave
sony V3/ikelite/DS-51/Heinrich DA2 slave

#3 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1705 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:39 PM

Hi folks,

It does look like Paul Watson may be extradited to Costa Rica. Sea Shepherd are calling for letters and emails of protest to be sent to the German authorities.

I have just updated the Wetpixel front page post of this morning (UK time) with the contact details as supplied by Sea Shepherd:

http://wetpixel.com/...atson-arrested/

Please take action now-time is of the essence.

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#4 derway

derway

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1136 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:28 PM

Thanks Adam!
Don Erway
http://picasaweb.google.com/onederway/
http://www.pbase.com/derway

nikon n90s/ikelite housing/twin SS-200 canon G2/ikelite/DS-50/optical TTL slave
sony V3/ikelite/DS-51/Heinrich DA2 slave

#5 DamonA

DamonA

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Scuba, Skin Diving, "Animal Lover" and Woodworking, Licensed Professional Joiner & Carpenter.
    Don't like contact sport at all or elite level professional sport.

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:00 AM

Such duplicity for the German gov. to pull this on Paul Watson, lets hope they get real on this and not cave into their corporate interests in south america....

Edited by DamonA, 16 May 2012 - 03:01 AM.

#6 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2837 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:29 AM

thanks for additionally posting the Sea Shepard site where I found the email address and where letters can be sent, it was clearly visible. I sent off my letter; now let's hope every one sends one.
Steve

Edited by Steve Douglas, 17 May 2012 - 08:25 AM.

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#7 diverdoug1

diverdoug1

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Interests:UW photography, Cave diving, Trimix, Spearfishing, Saltwater fishing, Freshwater fishing, Skiing

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:47 PM

I hope Watson rots in jail. You don't endanger the lives of fishermen by ramming their vessel in the remote freezing waters of the southern ocean to get your point accross. It is not OK to hurt other people in a "direct action" protest of an activity that you are against. I hate that there whaling activities are still taking place, but possibly killing those men is not a viable option for anyone but a self centered zealot. Maybe Watson can hijack an aircraft full of people and crash it into whaling headquarters, because he has the same modus operandi that exremist Muslim jihadists have. No one and nothing is more important to them than their causes. I used to donate Sea Shepherd untill they started with this type of direct action. Throwing butyric acid on whale flesh to decrease profitability--OK, Ramming occupied ships---NO WAY!! Let him rot in Costa Rica.

Edited by diverdoug1, 18 May 2012 - 07:03 PM.

#8 DamonA

DamonA

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Scuba, Skin Diving, "Animal Lover" and Woodworking, Licensed Professional Joiner & Carpenter.

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:36 AM

On linked the Sea Shepard site on Facebook so all my friends there could send the DE. minister for justice that emailed response, I reckon this will end up like Julian Assange, a drawn out legal/political nightmare which creates some transparency on this issue- my hat goes off for Mr.Paul Watson, he is a Man with principles, ethics and above all a love for the beauty of the living world.

Australian government have spent big tax dollars trying to stop South American based fishers(who supply to american based companies poaching our waters in the southern ocean.

exert from wikipedia-
In the late 1990s to early 2000s, Illegal, Unreported and Unregulated (IUU) fishing for toothfish nearly collapsed many nations' fisheries in the Southern Ocean. Though, since 2005, thanks to CCAMLR Member nations, government patrol vessels, eNGOs, media exposure and a plethora of port state measures, IUU fishing has been all but eliminated from within countries' exclusive economic zones, though a relatively small portion of catch in the high seas is the only unregulated catch being exploited currently. [10]

In the last few years, the management of several fisheries has improved with increased patrolling for illegal vessels and stringent regulations for legal operators. Although unregulated fishing is still a problem in some high seas areas, the Marine Stewardship Council has certified the fishery in South Georgia for sustainable management. South Georgia has the largest toothfish fishery, with a total allowable catch (TAC) of around 3000 tonnes per year, taken by approximately ten vessels. Currently, there are a number of other toothfish fisheries that are undergoing review for MSC certification. [11]

The Patagonian toothfish lives in deep waters, from 300–3,500 m (984–11,483 ft) on seamounts and continental shelves around most sub-Antarctic islands, such as the exclusive economic zone of the French Southern Territories (Kerguelen Islands) and around South Africa's Prince Edward Islands, and Australia's Heard Island and McDonald Islands. In the past, France sold some fishing rights to Japanese and other foreign fisheries; because of overfishing, now fishing is reserved for fisheries from Réunion Island. Because of poaching, the French Navy patrols the zone and has made numerous arrests and seizures. Australian Customs vessels have pursued illegal toothfishing ships; the chase in the Viarsa incident went on for 7200 kilometers.[12]

Illegal fishing for toothfish in the Southern Ocean is hazardous not only for the fish, but also for other wildlife in and around the waters. According to The Antarctica Project, "It is common practice in the illegal fishery to dynamite the [sperm and killer] whales when they are discovered in the area where the fishing takes place"[13][14] and "…hundreds of thousands of endangered albatrosses and petrels dive for the [fish] bait and become hooked and drowned." The longline fishery has also been criticized for drowning thousands of seabirds, such as albatrosses.

http://www.facebook....1...e=1

Edited by DamonA, 19 May 2012 - 03:32 PM.

#9 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10595 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 01:34 AM

I understand this topic can get contentious but let's keep the discussion "healthy" in the forums. We don't take kindly to personal attacks or name calling of any kind! Please keep it clean and expletive free!

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#10 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2837 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:52 AM

" Throwing butyric acid on whale flesh to decrease profitability--OK, " You are kidding right? I'm sure the whales would appreciate you throwing acid on them. And if were thrown on you how would you feel? We are talking of thinking, family oriented mammals here.
Steve

PS. Agree with Drew, I have never seen so much swearing and flaming as this discussion has brought out. Sorry, this is not the place for it.
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

#11 DamonA

DamonA

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:43 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-14153779

http://international...protection.org/

Seems the American government can't be trusted when it comes to the protection of whales.

American interests in Pacific bigeye tuna and yellow fin tuna in the south pacific(via buying off the solomons government) is also very contentious as an American group lead by Sylvia Earle are seeking to shut down Australian longliners in the coral sea, effectively reserving the whole fishery for the Tri-marine corp. - http://www.trimarine...pany/index.html
http://www.trimarine...ss/austral.html

Wonder who owns the majority share in this company????

Who robbed the Italians of their public company?

Renato Curto was born and raised in Rome, Italy. He graduated in Economics and Commerce at the University of Rome in 1971.

His involvement with the Tuna Industry started in 1973, when he was hired by a large Italian public conglomerate (EFIM) to represent their interest in a Mexican joint venture company which was formed with the objective of owning and operating a fleet of three tuna purse seine fishing vessels and one stern trawler. In 1976, Star Kist joined the company as minority partner.

In 1979, after arranging for the sale of the Mexican company, Mr. Curto joined Tri Marine, a related company which had been formed in Singapore in 1971 mainly as a tuna trading company and a base for albacore and sashimi long liners. In 1983, Mr. Curto became the managing Director of Tri Marine. In 1986 the Italian holding company decided to divest itself from food related activities and Mr. Curto , together with his three partners and friends, made a successful bid to acquire the Company in a Management Buy Out.

Under the leadership of Renato Curto, Tri Marine¹s consolidated trading business grew in less than 10 years from about $40 million to over $500 million in annual revenues, and achieved a 15% global tuna market share. In the process, Tri Marine established operating companies and representative offices in 14 countries around the world and integrated the activities of the Group to include fishing operations and processing facilities, especially for the preparation of cooked, cleaned and frozen tuna loins.

The most relevant acquisitions made by the company (mostly in joint venture with selected partners) during the last 10 years, include Pan Pacific Fisheries, Chicken of the Sea, several fishing operations (including the entire Star Kist fleet of 8 large vessels), three tuna processing plants in Latin America (including Seafman, which was Bumble Bee's cannery and operation in Ecuador) and, very recently, one of the largest fishing and processing companies in Peru, a leading and very reputable producer of top grade fish meal and fish oil.

http://www.starkist.com/

So who really is the criminals?
The uninformed who speak about things they know nothing of-

Edited by DamonA, 19 May 2012 - 04:09 PM.

#12 sharky1961

sharky1961

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:34 AM

Hi,

just read in a dutch paper that Watson is free on bail.

Nikon D800 in Seacam D800,  Nikon 16mm, 16-35mm, , 60mm, 105mm,1.4 and 2x TC, 2x Sea&Sea 110a, 2x Seacam Seaflash 150

#13 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1578 posts
  • Interests:World travel
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:51 AM

Hi,

just read in a dutch paper that Watson is free on bail.

The is good news if it is true

Stew

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

http://www.euphoticzoneimaging.com

#14 gina

gina

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:55 PM

" Throwing butyric acid on whale flesh to decrease profitability--OK, " You are kidding right? I'm sure the whales would appreciate you throwing acid on them. And if were thrown on you how would you feel? We are talking of thinking, family oriented mammals here.

Just to clarify, the butyric acid was thrown onto dead whales that were in the process of being hauled aboard processing ships. It is not thrown on live whales.

Also, Wikipedia says butyric acid is a weak acid, similar to acetic acid (vinegar). So while it might hurt whales (or people) if it got in their eyes they probably wouldn't feel it on their skin. It is used because it has a rotting butter stench that would spoil the meat, removing any economic incentive for the catch.

-Gina

#15 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10595 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:43 AM

Gina, butyric acid in most basic form is toxic to aquatic life. And that gets flushed into the sea when they spray the decks to clean it off. Plus they have to use glass bottles so it'll break on impact. Now they claim not to aim at people, but there have been complaints by the Japanese of at least one crew member being allegedly hit by glass "shrapnel".

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#16 gina

gina

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:46 AM

Gina, butyric acid in most basic form is toxic to aquatic life. And that gets flushed into the sea when they spray the decks to clean it off. Plus they have to use glass bottles so it'll break on impact. Now they claim not to aim at people, but there have been complaints by the Japanese of at least one crew member being allegedly hit by glass "shrapnel".

Ah, I didn't realize that. Thanks for letting me know.

-Gina

#17 DamonA

DamonA

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:55 AM

More news-
Looks like the Germans don't want this on their hands-
http://www2.macleans...ill-in-trouble/

"And I’m talking with the Costa Ricans right now and they’re starting to realize that this is getting a little ridiculous; I mean I didn’t injure anybody. I didn’t damage any property. Basically, I interfered with an illegal operation and they’re calling for extradition on it 10 years later, which seems a little bizarre."

WEIGHT OF NUMBERS!
Protecting poachers isn't doing their rep much good, especially as those vessels go to some pretty important fisheries, it shows their gov. up to seem like a nepot of crooks -wow thats news! we are talking about Costa Rica!
Proud of the fact so many Aussies made voice over this and also very proud of the Canadian Watson for show these guys some cojones, these fascists run wild in the Latin cultures one-day they must be brought to account for damage they cause(drugs, human trafficking-slavery!!!- illegal fishing and black market gun purchasing).

Edited by DamonA, 24 May 2012 - 05:09 AM.

#18 diverdoug1

diverdoug1

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Interests:UW photography, Cave diving, Trimix, Spearfishing, Saltwater fishing, Freshwater fishing, Skiing

Posted 26 May 2012 - 04:37 AM

Steve

PS. Agree with Drew, I have never seen so much swearing and flaming as this discussion has brought out. Sorry, this is not the place for it.

You realize the "Butter Bombs" are thrown on the whale meat AFTER they are dead and skinned, right Steve? :P

Edited by diverdoug1, 26 May 2012 - 04:43 AM.

#19 diverdoug1

diverdoug1

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 04:42 AM

Butyric acid is a byproduct of the decomposition of fat. That is why they call the "Butter Bombs" - rotten butter, get it? The amount of butyric acid introduced into the sea is insignificant.