Photo
- - - - -

Possible future of no more "accidental" shark fishing?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10641 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:35 AM

SharkDefense's Eric Stroud, a chemist from the US, has found that using magnets on hooks may keep sharks off fishermen's hooks, alleviating the problem of accidental shark fishing. Research in Australia has shown that magnets can repel 5 big species of shark, so the premise does sound promising. While Stroud's discovery may bring promise, the efficacy of magnets is dependent on the strength and size of magnets, making it an impractical application for protection of bathers from sharks at beaches. However, as a bycatch deterrent, the magnetic hook may just be the key to keeping fishermen honest about their "accidental" shark catches.

Shark repelling fish hooks

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#2 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:11 PM

Dean
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#3 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:56 AM

Now swimmers and surfers can wear magnet belts and be safe from an accidental attack? Can't wait for those human trials to begin. Who's first to try it out? :P
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#4 DamonA

DamonA

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Scuba, Skin Diving, "Animal Lover" and Woodworking, Licensed Professional Joiner & Carpenter.
    Don't like contact sport at all or elite level professional sport.

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:37 PM

Great idea!
Magnetic tape wrapped around the hook shank, also like how they are using a tuna circle pattern hook- as these stop the gut hooking of fish for safer release of sportsfishing target species like marlin, sailfish and tuna, they where developed for long-lining so the fish don't spit the hook.