• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 robovet

robovet

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:38 PM

Just received a Nex7 and nauticam. I would like to know if anyone out there that has experience with the nex 5 or 7 could suggest a starting point for the autofocus settings when using the nex cameras UW. Center or multispot ? Continuous or single ? Tracking ? Thanks for any comments --

Marc
www.robovet.net

#2 pauld43

pauld43

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:18 PM

Hi Marc I bought a Nex5 and Aquatica housing last year. Definitely use Centre focus with single mode, continuous focus seems to hunt around and also uses battery life. On the whole I use centre focus and then just crop slightly to balance the subject in the frame. I've had great success with manual mode and just rely on strobe to light the subject. The only challenge has been minimum focus distance on smaller subjects so I have just purchased the Sony 35mm macro and while this is very short focal length does give you focusing right up to the lens so looks promising. Can't wait to get in the water with it!

#3 robovet

robovet

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:49 PM

Hi Marc I bought a Nex5 and Aquatica housing last year. Definitely use Centre focus with single mode, continuous focus seems to hunt around and also uses battery life. On the whole I use centre focus and then just crop slightly to balance the subject in the frame. I've had great success with manual mode and just rely on strobe to light the subject. The only challenge has been minimum focus distance on smaller subjects so I have just purchased the Sony 35mm macro and while this is very short focal length does give you focusing right up to the lens so looks promising. Can't wait to get in the water with it!

Thanks Paul !!

#4 Alex_Tattersall

Alex_Tattersall

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:16 PM

I think it depends on your subject matter. Continuous track if you have a moving subject, single point if nothing moving.

Just jump in, play around in benign water conditions and see what works best for you :D

Alex
www.flickr.com/photos/alextattersall

www.nauticamuk.com
www.uwvisions.com
Exclusive official importer of Nauticam products into the UK and Ireland