Using an Ikelite housing with tokina 10-17

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 diverdoug1

diverdoug1

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Interests:UW photography, Cave diving, Trimix, Spearfishing, Saltwater fishing, Freshwater fishing, Skiing

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:59 AM

I am getting a Tokina 10-17 fisheye lens. I previously was using a 10.5 prime fisheye. When using my 10.5 prime I was able to place the low profile "twist lock" port on the housing and visualy check that the the o-ring was not twisted out of place, prior to placing the camera in. Using the Tokina zoom will require the use of the zoom ring, and it seems that it would be difficult to align the tabs in the zoom ring if the port is put on prior to inserting the camera. For those of you Ikelite dSLR housing owners shooting the Tokina 10-17, do you just put the port on after the camera is in the housing, and take a leap of faith that the port O-ring is not out of place?
Thanks, Doug

Edited by diverdoug1, 17 May 2012 - 08:10 AM.

#2 blibecap

blibecap

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:26 AM

Hi Doug

You will find it very difficult if not impossible to get the lens to line up with the zoom ring if you plan to insert the camera after the port has been installed. The lens will tend to move / dislodge the 9059.9 zoom clamp from the lens. I find it necessary to insert the camera with lens attached into the housing and close the back first and then install the zoom ring and the port or port/dome combination.
Bill Libecap
Cincinnati, Oh
http://www.UwCameraStuff.com
Home of the Housing Sentry, the ultimate leak prevention system.

#3 newmanl

newmanl

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:55 PM

Hi Doug,

I've used a 10-17 in an Ikelite housing and Bill is right on the money - camera and lens in first, then the back, and finally the zoom gear and dome.

Hope that helps.

Lee

#4 Otara

Otara

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:46 PM

It is a problem from an anxiety perspective, but pretty much impossible as long as the o-ring is lubed.

One option is to use the 6 inch port instead, as it allows you to see its in place, as well as allowing even closer focus. Another is to get a leak detector and do a dunk test.

Otara

#5 diverdoug1

diverdoug1

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Interests:UW photography, Cave diving, Trimix, Spearfishing, Saltwater fishing, Freshwater fishing, Skiing

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:23 PM

Thanks