• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#61 Vondo

Vondo

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:53 AM

Hello, I am new to this forum and I have a similar question. I am a photographer. I've recently upgraded my Lightroom and Photoshop and my 5 year old computer is suffocating. I am thinking of buying a new model that will fly with the new image processing tools. The performance and reliability is my preference. I don't know which is better - a desktop or a laptop. If the laptop I don't have any preference to its weight since I am mostly going to use it in the office. All my applications are Windows based, but from this thread I understood it shouldn't be a problem to switch to Mac if that is the only option I have. I am not extremely technical, also I've changed hard drives, a fan and RAM a few times. My preference is the fully assembled unit with the OS installed. What would this nice community recommend for me? Thank you!

If you are never going to take the laptop out of the office, why spend the money for portability, battery, etc.

Do you have a monitor you can re-use? If so, no need to buy a new one.

I'll tell you what I just did. I got rid of a 4-year old PC (pretty beefy at the time) in it's big case, etc. and replaced it with a MacMini. I got the fully tricked out Mac with 2.6(7)  GHz CPU and the 1 TB Fusion drive. I didn't buy the Apple memory because it's expensive and installing your own is dead simple (sounds like you've done that). This machine is really snappy. Raw CPU power for LR rending is probably 50% higher than I had before, but the fusion (combo SSD/regular hard drive) makes so many things so quick.

#62 vladab

vladab

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:36 PM

Thank you, Starfish! I do have a nice Samsung Monitor which I would like to continue using. I will look into Mac you've recommended.

#63 vladab

vladab

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:52 PM

Vondo, Thank you for this info. I think, these requirements are the bare minimum. I have Intel Core Quad and 7 GB RAM (miscalculated what I need for upgrade :)) and I am snoring when processing a wedding (hundreds of images). My Mark II produces big files and I need something powerful to fly thru the processing.

I bought my PC with Windows installed, and I didn't have any software DVD to go with it. Do you or anybody on this forum know how to get the installation Key for Windows in such case?

thank you all very much!

Vlada

#64 DiverPam

DiverPam

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:35 PM

Follow-up on my Asus Zenbook. I have now had it on three dive trips since the end of May.  Based on my original requirements, it works great.  It is light and easily fits almost anywhere I need it to go (and does not feel like I am carrying around a boat anchor anymore).   I knew the screen size was going to be small, and I have adjusted to that when traveling.  Just know that I can use my larger monitor when I come home for the full on review of my pics.   The speed at which it can download my pics is nice and fast, and I can also multitask fairly easy while it is doing this. I can use LR for some editing while it is downloading/backing up my pics.  I carry a slim external hard drive with me and that works nicely to store my pics so that my laptop does not get clogged up with all those raw files.  

One downside so far....I have found that I tend to edit pics in LR a little bright on the road with this laptop.  Do not know if this is my screen calibration or not. Will do one in the next week and see what happens.   Alex noticed this during Digital Madness last week. What I was seeing on my laptop and what the pic would look like on another computer would be a little brighter than I would like.   Going to work on this issue.  

Would highly recommend this little gem for travel.  Happy diving everyone - DiverPam 

Nikon D90 in Aquatica Housing, Tokina 10-17mm, 60mm macro, 105mm macro, Sigma 17-70mm, + Ikelite DS 161 and DS-125 strobe combo  www.flickr.com/photos/pammurph/

The Fin Foundation

#65 Vondo

Vondo

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:30 AM

Vondo, Thank you for this info. I think, these requirements are the bare minimum. I have Intel Core Quad and 7 GB RAM (miscalculated what I need for upgrade :)) and I am snoring when processing a wedding (hundreds of images). My Mark II produces big files and I need something powerful to fly thru the processing.

I bought my PC with Windows installed, and I didn't have any software DVD to go with it. Do you or anybody on this forum know how to get the installation Key for Windows in such case?

thank you all very much!

Vlada

It sounds to me like you may need a serious desktop. Of course, a 5-year old quad core is going to be smoked by a new quad core, but maybe not by enough. You'll be hard pressed to find a laptop that's much faster than the Mac mini I mention. Unfortunately from Apple the next step up is an iMac which comes with a built in screen and a higher price tag. Unfortunately they don't offer a true desktop without screen until you get to the Mac Pro machines.

Re: your Windows license, it's quite possible it is restricted to the single PC you got it with and cannot be legally used on another computer.