#1 Grg

Grg

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 06:10 AM

Hello people,

Here is my problem :

I have canon 5D MK II and would like to find a case to make underwater photography, and it would be my main activity.

I found a lot of type of cases but I must admit I am kind of limited in knowledge about them, so I would like to ask you advice.

My activity will be artistic photography, with model. I will not go verry deep (5 metters seems to be a maximum !) and most of the time in swimming pools. Macro is not a must.

So, in my researches I found the cheaper the better, so my choice went to ikelite housing. (I excluded the "bags" of my choices)

Looking other people doing the same activity as mine, it seems all those I know have ikelite, so it seems the choice could be a good one.

But I have strictly no infos about that. The web is rarely helpfull and the researches I made here were not conclusives.

Could you help me please giving me informations about cases compatibles with 5DmkII and/or links about it ?

On wetpixel the website, there is a review about cases for 5DmkII but ikelite is not in it.

A big thanks for your help ! (And hopefully a big tank for me... well, that was a bad joke...)

Greg

#2 Baumann

Baumann

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 06:31 AM

Yes Ukelite are absolutely fine and good value compared to the main aluminium rivals, not so ergonomic or least bulky, but ok. The main worry is the minimal depths you are talking about. The o-ring seal of port to housing relies on water pressure to hold the port firmly to the housing which is fine at depth but near the surface it is much less of course. The Ikelite only has little plastic clips that prevent the (dome) port from coming away. Others like Nauticam have a 'proper' locking lever arangement that is far more secure. The later Ikelite's are better as now have 4 clips instead of 2, but something to consider... Especially if doing close focus work with models when there is a possibility if then knocking the dome.
I wouldn't consider a bag for anything other than putting your sandwiches in, no matter what the manufacturers say LOL.Are you talking indoor pools or outside? Your biggest headache is going to be lighting if indoor.

#3 Grg

Grg

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:07 AM

Yes Ukelite are absolutely fine and good value compared to the main aluminium rivals, not so ergonomic or least bulky, but ok. The main worry is the minimal depths you are talking about. The o-ring seal of port to housing relies on water pressure to hold the port firmly to the housing which is fine at depth but near the surface it is much less of course. The Ikelite only has little plastic clips that prevent the (dome) port from coming away. Others like Nauticam have a 'proper' locking lever arangement that is far more secure. The later Ikelite's are better as now have 4 clips instead of 2, but something to consider... Especially if doing close focus work with models when there is a possibility if then knocking the dome.
I wouldn't consider a bag for anything other than putting your sandwiches in, no matter what the manufacturers say LOL.Are you talking indoor pools or outside? Your biggest headache is going to be lighting if indoor.

Hello,

Thank you for your help ! I didn't know that the port fixation of that kind !

Do you know if the case for 5DmkII is of later fabric (4 clips inestead of 2) or earlier fabric ?

I use natural lights and indeed when indoor it is a real pain. And I am in Belgium, where the sun never brights, so you can imagine. I try to find indoor pools with lots of windows so I can use natural lights.

I use now the nikon AW100, and it is only for training. Results can be seen here.

#4 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10631 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:11 AM

It also depends what lens you want to use. For instance, when I tested the 5D2 Ikelite housing, it could not fit the 16-35mm II. I would check the lens chart on Ikelite's website to make sure it can use the lens you want to use. If not, then you may have to consider housings like Seacam, Subal and Sea & Sea etc.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#5 Grg

Grg

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:16 AM

It also depends what lens you want to use. For instance, when I tested the 5D2 Ikelite housing, it could not fit the 16-35mm II. I would check the lens chart on Ikelite's website to make sure it can use the lens you want to use. If not, then you may have to consider housings like Seacam, Subal and Sea & Sea etc.

Indeed, I did that. I will use at the begining my 50mm 1.4. It is for portraits and as I understand the flat surface enlarge the picture. The smaller non-modular port is adapted, as they say.

I will check the other references. Thanks !

#6 Baumann

Baumann

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:00 AM

Just need to check the close focus on the 50mm too in case you need a diopter as dome port projects the image quite close to the dome (depending on dome size too) 50 might be a bit long too. The 5D2 is the later 4 clip version

Edited by Baumann, 19 May 2012 - 08:03 AM.

#7 Grg

Grg

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:25 PM

Just need to check the close focus on the 50mm too in case you need a diopter as dome port projects the image quite close to the dome (depending on dome size too) 50 might be a bit long too. The 5D2 is the later 4 clip version

Thanks Baumann ! I must say my optics is quite rusty so I didn't understand everything concerning this diopter thing. But I will use flat port instead of diopter port, so maybe that doesn't concern me ?

#8 fish

fish

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:20 AM

Do you know if the case for 5DmkII is of later fabric (4 clips inestead of 2) or earlier fabric ?

They now come with the 4 clips. I had a 2 clip version but was offered a deal on the upgrade. I have not had any problems with mine at water level or in shallow depths.
hreggi
www.hvitabirnir.is

Canon 5D mkII / 17-40mm F4 / 15mm 2.8 / 100mm 2.8 / Ikelite housing and strobe

#9 Grg

Grg

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:27 PM

They now come with the 4 clips. I had a 2 clip version but was offered a deal on the upgrade. I have not had any problems with mine at water level or in shallow depths.

Noted ! Thank you : Ikelite it will be !

#10 Cary Dean

Cary Dean

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:55 AM

What about a suf housing. Good to about 30 feet. Less cumbersome
than a dive housing. Can attach either a speedlite or a Pocketwizard.
Can view the LCD or through the eyepiece. About $3500 incl port.

SPL, Essex, Del Mar, CMT, Aquatech, Liquid Eye. Prolly missing a few.
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever."
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#11 Grg

Grg

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:38 AM

What about a suf housing. Good to about 30 feet. Less cumbersome
than a dive housing. Can attach either a speedlite or a Pocketwizard.
Can view the LCD or through the eyepiece. About $3500 incl port.

SPL, Essex, Del Mar, CMT, Aquatech, Liquid Eye. Prolly missing a few.

I didn't even know it existed ! I can't say I see the difference or why chosing a surf housing instead of a dive housing, considering the price is quite the same. (nor the point of a surf housing. It is yellow and... ?) My choice has been arested to the Ikelite, I should receive it in 5-10 days now !

A big thanks to all of you !