• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 cdascher

cdascher

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 04:39 PM

I have found the Aquatica 5D MarkII housing O-ring to be a bear to get out. Much more so than my old Aquatica 20D housing. I have normally used a stiff plastic card to pry these out but I just can't seem to find something with enough strength to get this sucker out without resorting to a very careful tiny screwdriver. Has anyone had similar issues and can anyone recommend a good tool as I do not like my current approach.

Chris
Chris Dascher
Aquatica 5DMII, Dual Inon Z220 strobes, dual Ikelite DS125s
www.cdascher.com

#2 uw_nikon

uw_nikon

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 06:24 PM

A guitar pick works really well. (they come in many thicknesses.)

take care,
ChrisS
Chris Simmons
UW photo methods

#3 operam

operam

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 06:29 PM

I had a similar difficulty removing the O-ring for my Aquatica D7000 housing, so I picked this up from B&H, and it has helped a lot:

Sea & Sea O-Ring Removal Tool
Nikon D7000 in Aquatica AD-7000 housing | 2x Inon Z-240 with 4600K diffuser | Tokina 10-17mm | Nikon AF-D 60mm | Nikon 105mm VR | Kenko 1.4TC | Aquatica 6" dome | Aquatica AF/MF macro port | Aquatica +5 and +10 diopters

#4 Undertow

Undertow

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:24 PM

indeed I had the same issue when I upgraded my D200-D700. I assume there's a tiny little notch in the corner to at least get a tool in. Even with the notch its tough as the oring's really tight. I use this plastic 'spudger' I got with a kit from ifixit.com when doing some ipod surgery a few years ago. Works great. I imagine a guitar pick could work too.

Also be careful when replacing the oring. Since it can't freely slide around when mounted, if you don't set the oring very evenly, it could end up stretched in some spots and squeezed in others. So don't just push it back in by sliding your finger along the oring groove with constant pressure, that'll stretch it. Lay it over the grove and just push in a little bit at a time. Dunno if that makes sense but its not tough to figure out.

Cheers,

Chris
D200, Aquatica, 10.5, sig 15, 12-24, 17-55, 60, 105
3x SB-105

#5 cdascher

cdascher

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:57 PM

Thanks for all the very good ideas. The "spudger" seems like a good one. Something for opening iPhones it seems. I will give that a try and let you all know.

CCD
Chris Dascher
www.cdascher.com

#6 ErolE

ErolE

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:14 PM

Get a set of brass O-ring picks. They are inexpensive and will last a life time. Being brass they won t damage your O-ring grooves. Useful for your regulators too.

eg http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/B001RSAJ5U

Erol

Edited by ErolE, 21 May 2012 - 10:15 PM.

Erol Eriksson
www.photographee.org
Unified Team Diving

#7 gina

gina

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:44 AM

Get a set of brass O-ring picks. They are inexpensive and will last a life time. Being brass they won t damage your O-ring grooves. Useful for your regulators too.

eg http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/B001RSAJ5U

These look great. Have you had any problem with "stabbing" your o-ring or otherwise taking a chunk out of it when using them? (I, too, have had difficulty removing my housing body o-ring and am always looking for an easier way.)

-Gina

#8 emdru

emdru

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:29 AM

Frequent removal and cleaning of the backplate o-ring is not necessary, according to Jean Bruneau, of Aquatica. You only need to examine the surface of the ring for debris. It is so wedged into the housing channel that it is fairly impervious to the debris that a standard port o-ring is susceptible to. Frequent removal of the compression o-ring is more likely to cause more damage and potential failure than is leaving it in. I remove and clean mine about every 6 months or so, or after about every 100 dives.

#9 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2837 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:46 AM

In the old days of the Nikonos V's picks like these were widely used. Too many accidental cuts to the o rings stopped many from using them. I am surprised you couldn't remove it with a credit card. Will look into some of the other suggestions but would never take a chance on one of those metal picks.
Steve
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#10 cdascher

cdascher

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:43 PM

Thanks everyone for all the great ideas. I went with the plastic "spudger". Will let you know how it goes.

CCD
Chris Dascher
www.cdascher.com

#11 jcclink

jcclink

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:13 PM

Don't remove an o-ring unless you have a spare handy. Just in case seal is damaged on removal.
Nexus D300, 10-17mm, 12-24mm, 17-55mm, 60mm, 105mm VR
S&S YS110's & YS27's