2 replies to this topic

#1 kannjihyun

kannjihyun

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:17 AM

Hi All,

I am planing to order a monitor calibrator (Spyder 4). However, I've got a question about monitor calibration and monitor's brightness as well.

For example, the colors on my Macbook Pro is more vibrant when the brightness is set at the highest. There is also an ambient sensor that automatically adjusts the brightness of the screen depending on the ambient light of your workplace. Wouldn't this make the monitor calibration useless since the brightness is dynamically changed from time to time? How do you guys do in this kind of situation?

Cheers,

#2 uw_nikon

uw_nikon

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:51 AM

You should be able to turn off the your MacBook Pro's dynamic screen brightness. (sysPrefs/Displays)

Most monitor calibrators will calibrate screen brightness when set to advanced mode.
(note: high screen brightness will amp the colors way up. But, the colors get pretty whacked.)

If you're serious about color, consider using an non-Apple external monitor connected via DisplayPort (I've used the Dell 2408wfp, U2410, and currently U3011). In advanced mode, you can calibrate RGB and contrast before the color calibration occurs. That makes the monitor's color profile as good as you can get it.

Take Care,
ChrisS
Chris Simmons
UW photo methods

#3 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:11 AM

For about $25. you can get the Spears & Munsil High Definition Benchmark DVD which is an excellent product that will help you properly calibrate your monitor whether it is an external monitor for your editing bay, computer or home theater. It can also be gotten on Amazon.
Steve
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.