• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 MATT S

MATT S

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:55 AM

So I was out on my boat yesterday with a really brave friend of mine who has no issues with getting here gear off for a bit of tasteful fun.
I had my camera on board but wasn't really planning to use it until I saw how unnaturally clear the water was.
The water was a little chilly but she was still keen so I fired off a few images.
Shooting models is something I don't have any experience with but I like this shot as it is not a really posed image.

I would love some feedback.

http://aquaseen.com/

Attached Images

• bw_copy.jpg

Edited by MATT S, 21 May 2012 - 02:57 AM.

www.aquaseen.com

#2 MATT S

MATT S

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:00 AM

If any one interested here is the colour version.
http://aquaseen.com/

Attached Images

• _DSC4800.jpg

www.aquaseen.com

#3 diverdon

diverdon

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Interests:Airplanes, Motorcycles, Boats, PWC, Scuba, Photography, Nanotech, Manufacturing,

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:43 AM

I enjoyed the Black and white. It conveys a sense of serene harmony.
www.uwworld.com

#4 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1578 posts
  • Interests:World travel
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:03 AM

I wish I had friends like that. B & W for me

Stew

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

http://www.euphoticzoneimaging.com

#5 scubaspud25

scubaspud25

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:33 AM

I agree the B&W for me also. The sun rays stand out more. Well done, great shot

#6 MATT S

MATT S

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:41 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys, I guess the B/W is the winner from the two.
www.aquaseen.com

#7 ralphy

ralphy

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Interests:riding my motorbike(s)

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:39 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys, I guess the B/W is the winner from the two.

Another vote for the B&W, but it’s a close call: the composition really works IMO.

R

#8 ErolE

ErolE

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:58 PM

Another for the B and W. If I was to try and express my preference I d say more tonal range and greater subtly.

Anyway very nice photo.

E
Erol Eriksson
www.photographee.org
Unified Team Diving

#9 Cary Dean

Cary Dean

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:08 PM

I do like the contrast and how the light rays show up in the B&W but
I prefer the ethereal quality of the color image.

Edited by Cary Dean, 22 May 2012 - 11:09 PM.

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever."
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#10 MATT S

MATT S

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:12 AM

Its so great to here everyones opinions on this shot. I guess it shows how personal photography is.
www.aquaseen.com

#11 JKrumsick

JKrumsick

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Philosophy, various libations, light hearted debauchery, Chromatophores and the occasional tupperware party.

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:00 AM

Very nice images and it is also very nice that you have friends that are willing to take off their clothes!

In my humble opinion, there is a bit too much negative space. I would crop out some of the bottom and some to the left and right. I like the direction she is going and I like the reflection of her in the surface so I would try and keep those.

Nice job!

#12 MATT S

MATT S

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:23 AM

Very nice images and it is also very nice that you have friends that are willing to take off their clothes!

In my humble opinion, there is a bit too much negative space. I would crop out some of the bottom and some to the left and right. I like the direction she is going and I like the reflection of her in the surface so I would try and keep those.

Nice job!

I have some pretty amazing friends :P

Cheers for the critique I will take that on board.
www.aquaseen.com

#13 Lionfish43

Lionfish43

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:25 AM

It's different in the fact that you don't see that many underwater nudes. I don't really like the perspective though. If this was a fish shot it would be getting knocked as a tail shot with no eye contact. I like the idea though. I think I'd like it a lot better as a profile as opposed to the model swimming away.
Larry Oberlander My Webpage
Nikon D200, Aquatica AD200

#14 JKrumsick

JKrumsick

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Philosophy, various libations, light hearted debauchery, Chromatophores and the occasional tupperware party.

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:37 AM

I don't really like the perspective though. If this was a fish shot it would be getting knocked as a tail shot with no eye contact. I like the idea though. I think I'd like it a lot better as a profile as opposed to the model swimming away.

It's a good point about the hypothetical "if she was a fish". Something is still enchanting about a nude woman swimming away from us... as opposed to a fish swimming away from us.

I really like how timeless nudes in the water are. There is nothing which puts a timestamp on the work... I feel like the B&W shot was almost done in the 50's but that is because my imagination tells me so.

#15 Stephen H.

Stephen H.

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:08 PM

Have to agree with Lionfish - would have preferred to see the model swimming toward the camera; eye contact (fish or human) or something close to it (model looking past the camera) seems to really make a shot pop.

Great shot nonetheless; does give a serene impression.

Cheers,

Steve
Steve, www.holinskiphoto.smugmug.com
Canon G10, S&S YS110a, Inon UCL165

#16 MATT S

MATT S

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:12 PM

You do raise a good point Lionfish and to be honest if this was a fish shot it would have been deleted.

I shot here from behind because I wanted to achieve some kind of mystery to the shot with here swimming out into the distance. If she was swimming towards me I feel that it would not have evoked the emotion that I have tried to achieve.
I do have some other angles that I will process and post for some critique.

Thanks again for the input and the suggestions. :P
www.aquaseen.com

#17 clausmeyer

clausmeyer

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:02 AM

You do raise a good point Lionfish and to be honest if this was a fish shot it would have been deleted.

I shot here from behind because I wanted to achieve some kind of mystery to the shot with here swimming out into the distance. If she was swimming towards me I feel that it would not have evoked the emotion that I have tried to achieve.
I do have some other angles that I will process and post for some critique.

Thanks again for the input and the suggestions. :P

hi matts
donīt let them fool you....
verc cool shot . as this is not a fish for sure,the point of showing her swimming away is not a problem at all.its just your artistic right and pleasure showing the angle you like.
as long as the view is nice and interessting . and it is very beautiful for sure.
:-) but nevertheless excited to see the other angles
keep these shots coming
cheers
claus

#18 Lionfish43

Lionfish43

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:44 PM

I really don't think there's that much difference between a human and animal subject when it comes to eye contact. I think this shot has a lot to commend it and it definitely would work as part of a story where it was the final shot of the girl swimming away. But taken out of that context and standing on it's own I think it's a little lacking. It's a very nice shot, I'm not knocking it, just giving my opinion....since you asked for it.

Larry
Larry Oberlander My Webpage
Nikon D200, Aquatica AD200

#19 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4570 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:19 PM

:-) but nevertheless excited to see the other angles

I'm sure you are. :P
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#20 MATT S

MATT S

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:51 PM

I really don't think there's that much difference between a human and animal subject when it comes to eye contact. I think this shot has a lot to commend it and it definitely would work as part of a story where it was the final shot of the girl swimming away. But taken out of that context and standing on it's own I think it's a little lacking. It's a very nice shot, I'm not knocking it, just giving my opinion....since you asked for it.

Larry

I have not thought about shooting a sequence of shots to tell a story, its a great idea.

I do value all points that people put across to me so thank you for your input. I think you have a valid point.
I guess in the end if the image that an individual has created is appealing to them thats great, if it appeals to most thats even better.
Photography is so personal and I love hearing everyones opinions and thoughts on what they like or dislike about an image. Just because some may have a different view on the image does not mean that they are right or wrong it's just their personal opinion and we all have one and should share that.

Edited by MATT S, 25 May 2012 - 09:34 PM.

www.aquaseen.com