Inon Z-240 vs Sea & Sea YS-110a

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Erbster

Erbster

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, sailing.

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:18 AM

Hi folks,

I have a pair of Sea & Sea YS-110a strobes, which are a noticeable improvement over the original YS-110 strobes (I used S&S strobes for many years before that too). However, I have heard about a number of people having problems with these strobes lately and get the impression they are "built to a price" (more than usual, I mean). I am now wondering about replacing them with Inon Z-240s. As far as I can tell, the relative merits are:

Sea & Sea: PROS: I prefer the shape; cheaper; easy to fit bottles etc to use as snoots (I have a number which I use regularly); I already have them! CONS: I have lost several dives recently with unexplained problems and have had to return one of them as faulty (Sea & Sea UK very helpful and have repaired FOC).

Inons: PROS: A bit more powerful; much better design of fibre optic connector (I use old-fashioned cable at the moment, bit expect to upgrade my housing and want option to shoot fibre-optic TTL); faster recycle time; I can continue to use my current Sea & Sea arms and cables; more reliable?

Anyone care to offer the benefit of their experience?

Thanks

Charles
Charles Erb

www.undersea-images.com
travellingaurora.wordpress.com