• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 matt215

matt215

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:07 AM

Has the ability to use a custom white balance at depth make lights unnecessary? Especially with video. I found that when I've use custom WB the video looks great, and stills don't have backscatter. Thoughts?
Canon 5D mk2, Ikelite housing, Ikelite 125 strobes, 17-40 mm 4.0 L, 100 mm, 24-150 mm L, 100-400 mm 5.6 L
Visit My Website
Visit My Website

#2 Baumann

Baumann

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:29 AM

Whilst I agree that a custom WB can make all the difference to both stills and video underwater it won't remove the need for lighting unless you are shallow enough for ambient lighting to suffice. You will also be able to take advantage of your camera's iso performance but again this will have limitations on dull days or at any real depth, especially for macro when you will almost always need lights to allow apertures required.

Edited by Baumann, 21 May 2012 - 10:30 AM.

#3 matt215

matt215

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:20 PM

I was afraid you'd say that : ).
Canon 5D mk2, Ikelite housing, Ikelite 125 strobes, 17-40 mm 4.0 L, 100 mm, 24-150 mm L, 100-400 mm 5.6 L
Visit My Website
Visit My Website

#4 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:32 PM

Turn your lights on and white balance then, not before. Keep in mind the distance your subject will be from you as well as an awareness of where the sun is. Each time your lighting conditions change, re-white balance. I WB upon my white fins which will always be about 4 feet from my cam. WBing on a slate in front of your port does not provide a realistic lighting condition in my opinion.
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.