Photo
- - - - -

Dive/Photo equipment insurance revisited?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#41 S1mon

S1mon

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:50 AM

Please read my post in this thread for the latest development in the DEPP saga.... The State of Kentucky has filed against Mr and Mrs Lehrmitt and DEPP... wooo hoooo!

http://wetpixel.com/...c=43780&hl=depp

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Kenneth Grahame (The Wind in the Willows)

#42 dreading

dreading

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:03 AM

I once paid over £250 to insure my UW vid camera, travelled and dived all over the world on a 9 month trip with no incidents. On my way back home in LAX stopping from Fiji the bag the housing was in broke causing video housing and camera to fall out onto concrete- smash!

on my return to UK I phoned insurance company and they wouldn't give me any money as I had not had the video camera serviced i.e. had any paperwork to say the setup wasn't broken when I got the insurance out.

This was an expensive lesson to always read the small print!

#43 Marjo

Marjo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Interests:Conservation photography, climate change resilience, species and habitat conservation

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:47 AM

Dear "dreading",

If you had followed the IPG saga, you' see that people not reading the fine print was never the issue. The fault was entirely with the company and as it now abundantly clear to everyone.  Feeling very sorry for everyone who lost out on both money and time with dealing with these people as well as everyone who tried to stand up to them but got dragged through the mud by them and also the one dive industry publication that was all too happy to defend them to the point that they  implied that every person who had a "policy" with IPG and had a compliant was either stupid, lazy or dishonest. I have been and am biting my tongue here, but I hope this entire  serves as a warning to everyone in case these jokers ever show up on the insurance arena again.

Edited by Marjo, 10 August 2013 - 09:48 AM.