Photo
- - - - -

Dive/Photo equipment insurance revisited?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Marjo

Marjo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Interests:Conservation photography, climate change resilience, species and habitat conservation

Posted 14 July 2011 - 03:45 PM

I noticed today that both AWRY, Inc and Innovative Programs Group, Inc are listed as "Standing: Bad" and "Status: X - pending dissolution" with the Kentucky Secretary of State. This doesn't sound good for those who have the DEPP insurance plan (or for those that no longer do but have outstanding receivables from them).

See Innovative Programs Group Inc on Fasttrack and AWRY Inc on Fasttrack

Edited by Marjo, 14 July 2011 - 03:50 PM.

#2 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1177 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 05:08 PM

Oh, great. The timing on this is great: two weeks before a trip. It seemed really apparent from all of your woes that things were going downhill. Unfortunately, insurance is near impossible to get here...or too expensive...in the 4 figures per year.

Cheers,
Marli
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig

#3 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1177 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 12:57 PM

Here is what the Better Business Bureau in Louisville has to say:

According to information in BBB files, this business is no longer in business.

Mail sent to the business on 06/07/2011 was returned by the U.S. Postal Service as Attempted - Not Known.

Yikes.

Cheers,
Marli
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig

#4 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2856 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 01:04 PM

Here is what the Better Business Bureau in Louisville has to say:

According to information in BBB files, this business is no longer in business.

Mail sent to the business on 06/07/2011 was returned by the U.S. Postal Service as Attempted - Not Known.

Yikes.

Cheers,
Marli

Ouch. That stinks.

#5 errbrr

errbrr

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 05:15 AM

OK, I have one more day of this trip to get through without a flood, and then another two months on my policy. I guess there's a snowball's chance in hell of a premium refund from these people? Has anyone heard from the DEPP people recently?

I sent an email to Protecsure, who I believe do flood insurance in Australia, and never got a reply. I imagine they might be getting a few more emails shortly.

#6 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2291 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 12:01 PM

DEPP sent me a renewal e-mail notice on 3 July, but never ran my credit card.
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#7 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1177 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:02 AM

I sent an email to Deanne Lehmitt, broker for DEPP, expressing my concerns. I received a lengthy response this morning, outlining a number of issues that they are addressing. Apparently they moved and have now changed their phone system. I was assured

The bottom line is DEPP is alive and well, and we are addressing the issues at hand.

DEPP sent me a renewal e-mail notice on 3 July, but never ran my credit card.

Usually renewal notices are sent out far in advance of the expiry date, and you are billed on or near the expiry date.

I have suggested that Deanne Lehmit contact the various forums where they are being lambasted to clear the air and put clients minds at ease.

Cheers,
Marli
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com

#8 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2291 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:16 PM

Received a reply from Depp today that they are still in business.

My Website

#9 Marjo

Marjo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Interests:Conservation photography, climate change resilience, species and habitat conservation

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:26 AM

It looks like their status has been changed back to "good" now on the secretary of state site. The site indicates numerous instances in the past where they did not file their financial report and were dissolved only to be later reinstated.

#10 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2291 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 06:17 PM

Received a long e-mail from Depp today. Yes they are in business. Said they sent a copy of the e-mail to Undercurrent so look for a more in-depth summation of what is going on.

My Website

#11 saudio

saudio

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:12 PM

I've searched here and read every post about camera and flood insurance, but I'm still flummoxed about which way to go.

For the non-professional underwater photographer who wants to insure camera and dive gear, is there a clear best choice? I had DEPP for years but my last claim was an absolute nightmare and I have lost faith in them altogether.

I still have all the e-mails back and forth with DEPP. You would be stunned to see what I had to do to finally get paid, almost 8 months after the claim.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have a trip in July and I'm currently uninsured.

Edited by saudio, 21 May 2012 - 01:12 PM.

#12 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1177 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:25 PM

I would love to know what you did to get paid; although I have never filed one. I simply assumed that they were gone. I have been unable to find anything even in the least affordable with water damage covered.

Cheers,
Marli

ps this probably needs to go into a different category on the forum.
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com

#13 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:26 PM

I was with DEPP many, many years ago when the first came out and, I believe, were also the first, other than home insurance, to back up losses of underwater gear. I had one claim with them and it also took forever to settle. I have been insured by DAN for a long time now and last year some gear was stolen at the airport. DAN couldn't have been better, they were wonderful.
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#14 saudio

saudio

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:44 PM

I would love to know what you did to get paid; although I have never filed one. I simply assumed that they were gone. I have been unable to find anything even in the least affordable with water damage covered.

Cheers,
Marli

ps this probably needs to go into a different category on the forum.

I got paid by hounding them for months, calling everyone in the company, threatening, cajoling, threatening some more, etc. It was ridiculous. Every negative thing you have heard is probably true. The largest problem was their refusal to reply to e-mails or phone calls. They would use every excuse in the book, but the bottom line was they were trying either to wear me down so I would forget about my claim or to delay paying it as long as possible.

I was with DEPP many, many years ago when the first came out and, I believe, were also the first, other than home insurance, to back up losses of underwater gear. I had one claim with them and it also took forever to settle. I have been insured by DAN for a long time now and last year some gear was stolen at the airport. DAN couldn't have been better, they were wonderful.
Steve

Yeh, I'm going to contact DAN tomorrow and get that ball rolling. I have a thread about this going at Scubadiving.com too and it seems like DAN is the way to go.

thanks Steve.

#15 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1177 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:27 PM

it seems like DAN is the way to go.

Not if you live outside the USA.

Cheers,
Marli
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com

#16 diver dave1

diver dave1

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Interests:chess, u/w photography

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:01 PM

You have not mentioned your location.
If you are in the US, State Farm Insurance has nice policies that does not require any other insurance with them. Annual payments in the range of 1% of the value of the gear. My few claims have been paid quickly and completely. There are other insurance threads that have similar statements.
You might consider some searches using State Farm.

Nauticam D7000, Inon Z-240's, 60 micro, 105 micro, Tokina 10-17

www.shiningseastudio.com

#17 glamourpuss

glamourpuss

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:15 PM

I am currently in the process of dealing with DEPP for a claim and it's already been a nightmare. It's only been a month but I am already losing faith. I'd love to hear more about the process, as they have been less that forth coming about what I need to do.

Did you send all of your equipment to the manufacturer for an evaluation? Was that costly? In the end did you feel you got what you deserved? I'm worried I'm gonna spend more money sending my equiment back and paying the deductible, then I'm gonna end up getting from them.

Would love any advice you have.

Cheers, GP!

#18 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:14 AM

Send them the url to this thread and tell them of the bad reputation they have gotten. Someone should hold a picket sign at their booth during DEMA
steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#19 gsdivers

gsdivers

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 12:50 PM

I just learned this the hard way...
Some of the purchase protection plans will cover your items, but very few of them do.
DAN seems to have the best insurance if you live in the US.
If you qualify for USAA insurance, it's the best, BUT you have to list all your items on a separate high value insurance plan or it won't be covered.

#20 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1169 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:34 PM

My dive and camera equipment is included in my household contents insurance as itemised values. Sure, in-use losses are not covered but the greater risk to loss is more likely to be theft in transit, house break in or a fire at home. Loss, ie flooding, in-use is only ever going to occur to a relatively minor proportion of gross insured value so that's a risk I am happy to accept and one which I feel happy to exercise control over and would never be a show-stopper. So I enjoy this cover for about 0.5% of value which is brokered though the NFU as part of my overall insurance; life, critical illness, house, contents and motor vehicle, etc. The result of which is a decent chunk of business which the NFU place a value on and provide excellent customer service. Of course, the proof is in the pudding and when I lost three cameras in transit the claim was settled in full within a couple of weeks. I can also report similar good service by the NFU on minor motor vehicle claims.

As for DEPP. The Internet is awash with criticism of their poor service. Perhaps 'caveat emptor' may have been good advice...

Edited by Timmoranuk, 02 June 2012 - 08:37 PM.

· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm
· INON Z-240s & Sea & Sea YS-250 Pros
· SmallHD DP4 monitor & NA-DP4. Fisheye Aquavolt 3500s & 7000s
· Zen DP-100, DP-200 & DP-230