Thousands of spider crabs gather yet again

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Mary Malloy

Mary Malloy

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Interests:Any species I haven't seen and big stuff.

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:50 AM

I just want to share with everyone a "Blue Planet" experience in my own backyard. Several times a year, tens of thousands of spider crabs, Leptomithrax gaimardii gather at various locations around Port Phillip Bay. It is believed as a precursor to pairing off and mating but no-one knows for sure. This is not a seasonal event, it can happen anytime. So it is hard to tell divers prepared to travel when to come.

Mary

Attached Images

• malloy120519054.jpg
  • malloy120519092.jpg
  • malloy120519099.jpg
  • malloy120519114.jpg

Nikon D700 in Nexus D200/Sam Chae conversion kit
Lenses: 8
Strobes: 5
Ideas: 0

www.marymalloy.com.au

#2 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:45 AM

Wowzers. Fantastic.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#3 Mary Malloy

Mary Malloy

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:56 AM

Wowzers. Fantastic.

Alex

Hi Alex,

I think you have dived this site, Rye pier, with my friend Jimswims.

Mary

www.marymalloy.com.au

#4 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:05 AM

Hi Mary,

Driven past, not dived. We really didn't have enough time in Victoria last time.

We have similar gatherings in the UK, but they don't tend to pile up as much. They are rarely more than 1 crab deep, so not as spectacular:
http://www.2020v.org...d=28&m=4&y=2012

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#5 JimSwims

JimSwims

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 04:38 AM

Great shots Mary from very challenging conditions, the vis was really poor that day. Went back the next day and the numbers seemed
to have doubled. An amazing phenomenon to witness and I was so happy to have finally caught the peak of the action.

Alex I think the closest you got to Rye Pier was having greasy Fish and Chips by the main road opposite.

Cheers,
Jim.

My photostream on Flickr My gallery on Redbubble

D90 in Nexus; 60mm, Woody's Diopter, 105mm, SubSee +5 & +10 magnifiers, 10-17mm, Kenko 1.4 TC, 10-24mm, 18-55mm & Inon Z240 strobes.

#6 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:30 AM

All I can say is 'WOW"
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#7 AMW

AMW

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  • Interests:Boxing, English Premier League, SCUBA, aqua-culturing SPS and LPS, yoga

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:17 PM

Thanks for sharing....unbelievable!!!!!
Glad you had a wide-angle on the last image!

#8 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10632 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:32 AM

I remember the spider crab aggregation happens from April to July, ostensibly when the water cools off from the summer highs. And there's evidence they moult as well. I can't remember who told me that but it was some biologist. That's an awesome sight and so happy you caught it.

Hmmm too bad the giant cuttlefish aggregation in Whyalla is now bad, otherwise it might be worth the trip to attempt both in the winter months of Oz.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#9 Mary Malloy

Mary Malloy

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:59 AM

I remember the spider crab aggregation happens from April to July, ostensibly when the water cools off from the summer highs. And there's evidence they moult as well. I can't remember who told me that but it was some biologist. That's an awesome sight and so happy you caught it.

Hmmm too bad the giant cuttlefish aggregation in Whyalla is now bad, otherwise it might be worth the trip to attempt both in the winter months of Oz.

Hi Drew,

Yes for the most part people have reported them at Rye pier around May. I have 2 years of images at Rye in May but I have also seen them in these numbers at other Victorian locations in February and September.

Also glad I got the cuttles before they went off.

Cheers
Mary

Attached Images

• 97412b.jpg

www.marymalloy.com.au

#10 Cary Dean

Cary Dean

Sting Ray