• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Luko

Luko

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:37 PM

Cannot interpret what's wrong with this Hypselodoris Bullocki in Lembeh.

Quite smallish, no more than 3 cm, I reckon. Not really a first class photo subject but at first look, it seemed like having a problem. Hence I took a quick shot.
On dryland, closer inspection showed the gills were displaying either malformation, parasite or some stuff with egglike texture.

I posted 2 images of the nudi and a closeup of the same photo. Would somebody enlight me of what is going on with it?

Thanks
Luko

Attached Images

• 600Lembeh_1304.jpg
  • 600bullockigills.jpg

Pls have a look at my Flickr photo gallery and leave a comment.
Galleries in Pbase : Ambon & Maluku, Bangka & Bali, Komodo & Maumere, Moalboal, Mabul & Sipadan.
Vanuatu incl.SS Pres.Coolidge wreck.

#2 Leslie

Leslie

Worm Girl

• Critter Expert
  • 1816 posts
  • Interests:marine inverts (especially polychaetes), micro- and macrophotography

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:41 PM

I don't know what's happening with the gills but those eggs are from an internal crustacean parasite, most likely a copepod.

#3 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:44 PM

That's very interesting.

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#4 RWBrooks

RWBrooks

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • Interests:The Natural World. The Sciences

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:47 PM

Internal Crustacean Parasite....
nice!

Richard Brooks
Media Producer
Federated States of Micronesia

Visit My Website(s)

#5 Luko

Luko

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:28 PM

Thanks for your help.
Two more questions :
- considering the 2 eggs pouch, the copepod looks very big, oversized comparing to its host... or am I wrong?
- I'd also suppose the gills alteration has something to do with the insider size, probably preventing them to come out completely ?
Galleries in Pbase : Ambon & Maluku, Bangka & Bali, Komodo & Maumere, Moalboal, Mabul & Sipadan.

#6 Leslie

Leslie

Worm Girl

• Critter Expert
  • 1816 posts
  • Interests:marine inverts (especially polychaetes), micro- and macrophotography

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:04 AM

I've no idea about copepod size. Why don't you write Michael Schroedl, an expert on both nudibranchs & their copepod parasites? schroedl@zi.biologie.uni-muenchen.de

The gill damage might be a coincidence. If I saw that kind of damage without the egg sacs I would guess that a predator took a bite out of the gills and they are now regrowing.

#7 Luko

Luko

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:59 AM

I've no idea about copepod size. Why don't you write Michael Schroedl, an expert on both nudibranchs & their copepod parasites? schroedl@zi.biologie.uni-muenchen.de

The gill damage might be a coincidence. If I saw that kind of damage without the egg sacs I would guess that a predator took a bite out of the gills and they are now regrowing.

Thanks Leslie.