• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lumpy

lumpy

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:14 PM

I'm confused by some of the stuff I've read which assume knowledge I don't have.

In short will a 100A be able to function with a D80? All the connectors are right.

Thanks in advance

#2 saga7

saga7

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 06:15 AM

Yes you can. I use the ikelite AI strobe which is the older version of the 100a. I have a 100a strobe when i shoot twins. On the camera manual modes must be used as camera is dttl and strobe is ttl. The camera does not know a strobe is attached. On strobe 1/2 or full power. Do not use ttl mode on strobe. Ikelite recommends a blue cord cable (4104.6). I have used an aquatica housing and sea and sea housing as well as an old ikelite film camera housing using a digital camera and the ikelite AI strobe. ON all shots the camera says underexposure warning but by looking at the histogram and just by looking at the screen you can dial in the photo and get a very good exposure chart made up in one dive. Most of the time the strobe is at 1/2 power for shots up to 3 foot as the digital camera picks up alot of light. My basic starting point for shots is strobe 1/2 power, asa 100, f13 and shutter speed 80 for shots two feet and closer. For four foot shots and farther you go full power strobe and adjust either aperture, asa or speed according. Use raw setting on camera. I use full manual settings on camera. Do not use aperture priority or shutter priority or any full auto settings as i have stated the camera does not know a strobe it attached. To see my shots here is my website. The komodo and thailand shots are digital camera. The west coast of canada is a nikonos 5 camera.
http://reefscenics.smugmug.com/

#3 lumpy

lumpy

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 04:30 PM

Awesome. Thanks.

Way more info than I expected, and all of it good.

Thanks again.

#4 tirzo13

tirzo13

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:41 PM

I have a similar question...
I do have a digital strobe. a ikelite DS 50.
I also have non digital strobes...the Ai, and SS 200.

If i plug in my DS 50 into my ikelite D90 housing, could i then use either(or both) the Ai and or SS200 as slaves.
i have both the ikelite orange optical slave and the ikelite black one, which would be the correct slave controller to use..

Edited by tirzo13, 21 July 2012 - 02:43 PM.

Nikon D90, Ikelite housing, Ikelite DS-200, DS 50 strobes, Nikkor 60mm, Nikkor 105mm.

#5 saga7

saga7

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:30 PM

Yes you could use either strobe as slaves but the ds50 has less power than the ai and if you shoot ttl the camera will turn off the ds50 if enough light for the picture. Your ai strobe will fire on either 1/2 or full power. I think 1/2 power would be close to the exposure. Overexposure of picture is the problem you might have. As far as which ikelite slave sensor i have not used either so i am unfamiliar with them.