7 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3068 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 26 May 2012 - 04:43 PM

I ran across a nice little app called the Photographers Ephemeris, TPE for short, it does all kinds of cool stuff. I started thinking about what we could do with better planning for splits by knowing the sunrise and sunset paths and directions. As some of you know I've been layed up due to illness and can't get in the water for a while yet so I hope you'll forgive the surface shot but it's the best I can do. Once I saw the opportunity on the app my son and I made a quick trip at dawn to catch the sunrise in the notch of the Western mitten of Monument Valley. And yes the sky in Arizona really is that color. :P I used the 7D and the 16-35 L II. We set up right in the viewing area at the vistors center. It's a whole different ballgame when you know exactly where the light is going to be and when.

Posted Image
Let There Be Light! Sunrise in Monument Valley by Jaw's Dad, on Flickr

From the TPE website;
Key features of TPE for iOS:

- Time and direction of sunrise and sunset
- Time and direction of moonrise and moonset
- Phase of the moon and % illumination
- Times of civil, nautical and astronomical twilight
- Graphical display on a map
- Save any location you want - no fixed lists
- Automatic time zone detection for any location on earth
- Determines elevation above sea level
- View azimuth and altitude of sun/moon for any time of day/night
- Distance, bearing and elevation angle between any two points
- Find when the sun/moon will appear from behind a hill
- Compensation for atmospheric refraction
- Compensation for elevation above the horizon

It's a nice little addition to the tool set, around 8$ for the Iphone/Ipad version and there is a free version for your desktop. Something to think about the next time you go chasing stingray splits at dawn.

Have fun,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#2 deepsea

deepsea

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Interests:Photography, environment, education, as much diving and in water time as possible. Swimming with Humpback Whales and much more.

Posted 26 May 2012 - 05:20 PM

Great photo and thanks for sharing about the application.

Thanks
Karen
Nikon D200, Sea and Sea Housing, YS250 and YS90 strobes

Personal website http://beyondtheeye.ifp3.com

#3 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 05:31 PM

Yeah; it's an awesome app.
Magnificent image Steve.
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#4 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 26 May 2012 - 07:33 PM

You'll be back in the H20 before you know it. In the meantime, great shot. You got the light perfectly centered there. Got to get myself to Arizona one of these days.
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#5 diggy

diggy

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Interests:U/W Photography

Posted 26 May 2012 - 09:59 PM

Beautiful Steve.. and i am sure that you will be in water sooner than you think :-)

Take care and thanks for the app details,

Diggy

SERENE I FOLD MY HANDS AND WAIT,    FOR WHAT IS MINE WILL KNOW MY FACE

Diggy          http://www.scubadiggy.com/

Canon7D, Nauticam housing, mini and large dome, canon 100mm, canon 60mm, 10-17 tokina, macro ports, extensions, two inon Z240, Nauticam SMC converter, +3, +5 diopters. Two Sola 2000, One Sola 1200, Go Pro hero 3 Black 

#6 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1170 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:32 PM

Hi Steve, so we've nailed the easy bit - getting the sun and moon to cooperate. But do Photographers Ephemeris produce a version which the wildlife understand? :P Thanks for the heads up and take care and get well soon old Buddy.
· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm
· INON Z-240s & Sea & Sea YS-250 Pros
· SmallHD DP4 monitor & NA-DP4. Fisheye Aquavolt 3500s & 7000s
· Zen DP-100, DP-200 & DP-230

#7 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8384 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:10 AM

I've not used it for a while - but previously it was free to use as a web version - you only had to pay for it as an App.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#8 underwaterlove

underwaterlove

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:42 AM

Wow, my first stop here, and already found this post. Very helpful. Thanks a lot. Have to try it right away.