Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
  • Interests:World travel
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 27 May 2012 - 05:33 AM

Recently purchased the Stix foam belt and just curious if any other users have had any issues with coming off whilst in the water. I havent used it yet but any tips appreciated if it does come adrift from the port.

Stew

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

http://www.euphoticzoneimaging.com

#2 Alex_Tattersall

Alex_Tattersall

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:41 AM

Yes, you must tie them on somehow, if you point the port skywards, they will fly off to the surface!
www.flickr.com/photos/alextattersall

www.nauticamuk.com
www.uwvisions.com
Exclusive official importer of Nauticam products into the UK and Ireland

#3 Gudge

Gudge

Tiger Shark

• Team Wetpixel
  • 537 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:58 PM

The velcro strap on the belt becomes longer when it gets wet. If you put the flotation belt on when it is dry it will immediately become much looser when you take it underwater and come off very easily when you point the port vertically. If you wet the belt before putting it on and pull it up nice and tight it stays in place much better when you take your rig underwater. You'll still need a safety line from the belt to your housing just in case.
Canon 7D, Nauticam NA-7D housing, 2 x Inon Z240, 1 x Inon S2000, Tokina 10-17 & 12-24, Sigma 17-70 Macro, Tokina 35 macro, Canon 60 & 100 macro, Tamron 2X & Kenko 1.X Teleconverters.

#4 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 27 May 2012 - 03:43 PM

The velcro strap on the belt becomes longer when it gets wet. If you put the flotation belt on when it is dry it will immediately become much looser when you take it underwater and come off very easily when you point the port vertically. If you wet the belt before putting it on and pull it up nice and tight it stays in place much better when you take your rig underwater. You'll still need a safety line from the belt to your housing just in case.

Cheers lads and not a word about this on any of the Stix packaging. Shame on you Stix.

Stew

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

#5 JimSwims

JimSwims

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 11:13 PM

A timely thread for me, I'll be taking mine on its maiden voyage soon. Thanks for the tips!

Cheers,
Jim.

My photostream on Flickr My gallery on Redbubble

D90 in Nexus; 60mm, Woody's Diopter, 105mm, SubSee +5 & +10 magnifiers, 10-17mm, Kenko 1.4 TC, 10-24mm, 18-55mm & Inon Z240 strobes.

#6 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1170 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 28 May 2012 - 03:50 AM

The Stix float collar will only fit onto a 60mm extension ring which means that I can only use it when shooting with the 100mm or the 17-70mm - shorter extension rings do not offer enough room for the 2" blocks of foam though you could possibly trim them to fit a 50mm ring.

Also, with Nauticam extension rings, the Stix supplied velcro strap is too short and does not adequately overlap.

Perhaps a 3/4" webbing ratchet strap would usefully replace the supplied velcro? I'm also thinking about fixing self-adhesive velcro pads to the the ring and blocks to improve 'grip'.

HTH, Tim

Edited by Timmoranuk, 28 May 2012 - 05:42 AM.

· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm
· INON Z-240s & Sea & Sea YS-250 Pros
· SmallHD DP4 monitor & NA-DP4. Fisheye Aquavolt 3500s & 7000s
· Zen DP-100, DP-200 & DP-230

#7 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1766 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:41 AM

Hi guys,

I have one of these and like it very much :P

I have simply tied two bungee/shockcord loops onto the strap. I then I stretch these around the housing handles. This keeps it in place perfectly.

I think they were designed for Aquatica/Subal type macro ports that are of uniform diameter. They do not fit as well on those with a taper, or with a narrow end.

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#8 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:08 AM

Cheers Tim and Adam

All the snappers, batfish and other schools are showing at Ras Mo now so I will be wide angle for a few days now, but I will use some of the ideas mentioned above

Stew