778 replies to this topic

#541 Jock

Jock

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:50 AM

Hi Phil & Bob,

Thanks for the input - I have looked at the chart on Nauticam's website - but I would like to only buy one port if possible as I travel with my camera and want to keep it lite as possible not to mention the cost.  Since I live in MN there isn't any way to 'rent' and try lens so I am trying to find out what ports others have tried with the two lenses.

Thanks,

Audrey

One port - multiple (wide angle) lenses: Everybody has that wish - but you cannot cheat the physical laws!  

I use the 8mm Panasonic fisheye with the 3.5'' port. For me (!) it works perfect. The full pic has benn auto-corrected with Irfan View, the other pic is an unprocessed 100% crop of the lower right corner from the original RAW file (which I cannot attach, so it is jpg with highest quality setting). 

Greetings, Jock

Attached Images

• 2013_Ambon_10.jpg
  • 2013_Ambon_10_Detail.jpg

Edited by Jock, 19 June 2013 - 11:51 AM.

---
http://www.dive-images.de
---

Olympus OM-D EM5, Inon Z240 and Nikonos RS, Ikelite SS200

#542 jdiver

jdiver

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:13 PM

If you're going to limit yourself to one port, an option would be to use prime lenses in the 4.33" dome port.   The 8mm FE, 12mm, 45mm, and

sigma 19mm all work in that port.  No zoom gears or port extensions to fuss with.  The downside is you are stuck with one focal length for the dive.

cheers

Jon

#543 Draq

Draq

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:52 PM

I know how you feel, but...

If you really, really need to stick with one port, and your prime interest is wide angle, then I would opt for either the 8mm fisheye in the 3.5 or 4.33 port, or the 7-14 in the 6" port.  Of course you could also use just stick with the lens you have and the 4" port.  The advantage to that would be that you could also use the 12-50 lens in that port, but then there is a fair bit of overlap in those lenses.  I think this option is quite a compromise.

By the time you add up housing, tray, arms, strobes and so on, one more small port and small lens is not that much more space.

Since you already have the 9-18 and presumably like it, and because of $$ issues, and assuming your main interest is wide angle, I would suggest you add the 3.5" dome for the 8mm.  It and the lens are both pretty small, very light and as ports go,the 3.5" is relatively inexpensive.  If space is a big issue you could pretty much put the 9-18 and the 8mm in padded pouches in a couple coat pockets and then just pack the housing and port and other stuff.

Alternatively, as was already suggested, you can go with the 4.3 dome and the 8mm fisheye and 12mm rectilinear.  Both excellent lenses, but not as flexible as a zoom.

ps: I don't believe Nauticam lists the 45mm as working properly in the 4.33 port, but I have no personal knowledge of that combo.

#544 Glasseye Snapper

Glasseye Snapper

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts
  • Interests:Fish ID & behaviour and photos thereof

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:57 PM

If you wondered why my footer still lists the Canon 20D and Ikelite housing after all the talk about my OM-D setup, then perhaps you can help me. I updated the equipment section of my profile after I received my new system a few months ago, but my posts still show the old information. The profile does show the correct info for the new setup. I asked this question a while ago in the "contact us" page of wetpixel but without reply, so hopefully one of you or a moderator can tell me how to get this to work.

Bart

Olympus OM-D EM5/Nauticam, 12-50mm & 60mm macro
Sea&Sea 110a, iTorch, GoPro3 BE

#545 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3049 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:13 PM

Hi Bart,

Try going to "My Settings" on the profile page and update the "Signature" (third down).  That should work.

Cheers,

Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#546 glee719

glee719

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:30 AM

Has anyone tried the Zen glass dome port on Nauticam m4/3 housing?  I am not too happy with the Nauticam acrylic dome and I want to see if the Zen port is worth the upgrade.

http://reefphoto.com...roducts_id=6302

#547 Draq

Draq

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:11 AM

I have not used it so cannot comment, but I am curious..in what way have you been unhappy with the Nauticam dome?

#548 Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:18 AM

Glee,

I have the ZEN Underwater 170mm port and I have tested it with the Nauticam EM5 and NEX5r housings and a verity of lenses. I will have a full review of the port in the next issue of UWPMAG.com in July. I used the 20mm port extension with the Panasonic 7-14 zoom.

I have posted some thoughts and a few photos on Scubaboard in a thread in the Olympus forum.

Phil Rudin

#549 divingdoc

divingdoc

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:18 AM

Nauticam Macro Port Lens Caps---Looose!

I have just purchased an O-M5 with a Nauticam housing.   The macro ports come with these lens caps that keep falling off.   I haven't even taken them diving yet, but the I'm afraid to take them on  the boat because the port glass would be unprotected.   Moving down from a Subal ND20, I'm a little miffed about this.   Does anyone have any ideas or leads to other port covers for the 12-50 and 65 mm ports?

#550 Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:21 AM

The Nauticam cap is for storage only. I use a beer can cozy cut down to cover the macro and 12-50 ports.

#551 pompeygreg

pompeygreg

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:31 AM

I use a neoprene bag that I had with my Inon wide angle.

#552 glee719

glee719

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:44 AM

Probably all the ways that I con myself to believe by spending more money I can solve all my bad over/under problems :)  It's psychological I admit.

Thanks Phil, I look forward to seeing your review (and I will go search on Scubaboard.)

I have not used it so cannot comment, but I am curious..in what way have you been unhappy with the Nauticam dome?

#553 glee719

glee719

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:46 AM

Lost mine when I got knocked around on the rocks coming out of a shore dive.  I too use an alternative now.  Replacement is too expensive... 

I have just purchased an O-M5 with a Nauticam housing.   The macro ports come with these lens caps that keep falling off.   I haven't even taken them diving yet, but the I'm afraid to take them on  the boat because the port glass would be unprotected.   Moving down from a Subal ND20, I'm a little miffed about this.   Does anyone have any ideas or leads to other port covers for the 12-50 and 65 mm ports?

#554 Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:51 AM

Glee,

I think it is clear that the bigger the port the better the split images. I do however see an upside for glass over acrylic in O/U shooting and that seemed to be clear to me with this port. You could in theory get the ZEN Subal type III port adapter for the NA-EM5 housing and go with a 230mm port but I think this would be overkill. I am happy with the O/U shots from this port with the 7-14 and the Olympus 12mm F/2. The big upside to this port over the Nauticam port for the 7-14 is that it will work with more lenses and takes up less space packing for travel. This is because you can add a 20mm port extension for 7-14, 12-35, 9-18 and shoot without the extension for lenses like the 12mm and other non-zoom lenses. BE AWARE THIS PORT DOES NOT WORK WITH THE 8MM FISHEYE. The port also works well in NEX housings with lenses like the 10-18 zoom (with extension) and the 16mm with W/A and Fisheye adapters.

Also be aware that the ZOOM GEAR from Nauticam DOES NOT fit into this port and a gear is yet to be developed so I used the 10-18 set to 10mm prior to diving.

Since both the Nauticam six inch dome and the Zen 170 dome are about the same size their is little difference in image quality in the corners. I find both ports to be more than adequate in this area at 7mm, 114 degrees when you consider results from full frame lenses like the 14-24 at the same 114 degrees behind nine+ inch ports. 

Phil Rudin

#555 Glasseye Snapper

Glasseye Snapper

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts
  • Interests:Fish ID & behaviour and photos thereof

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:18 PM

Hi Bart,
Try going to "My Settings" on the profile page and update the "Signature" (third down). That should work.

Cheers,
Steve

Thanks Steve, just did and in a few seconds I will find out if it worked.

Bart
Olympus OM-D EM5/Nauticam, 12-50mm & 60mm macro
Sea&Sea 110a, iTorch, GoPro3 BE

#556 glee719

glee719

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:32 PM

Phil, I use the 7-14mm so you are saying the Nauticam zoom gear for 7-14 also doesn't fit into this port?  Many thanks.

Also be aware that the ZOOM GEAR from Nauticam DOES NOT fit into this port and a gear is yet to be developed so I used the 10-18 set to 10mm prior to diving.

#557 Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:14 AM

No that is NOT what I am saying. The 7-14 gear works just fine in the 170mm port but the Sony 10-18 lens is so fat that with the gear it will not fit into the port. Same for the Ziess 12 mm for the Sony NEX cameras it is about 82mm across and the port opening is only about 72mm. The Olympus 12mm fits well and works great without adding the extension.

#558 Karl

Karl

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:31 PM

Just by a 67mm lens cap for your port and attach it to the housing - it works well and I just used the cord that came with the lens cap and tied it through the small silver rods on the bottom of the side of the housing.   This way it stays with the housing and when under water I just wrap it around the try (the cord) to keep t out of the way.

Karl

Everyone is entitled to my opinion!!

#559 Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:08 AM

Also keep in mind that most of use will add a flip adapter for a closeup lens or direct mount the C/U lens to the port which will also protect the port. 

#560 Deep6

Deep6

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:44 AM

Also keep in mind that most of use will add a flip adapter for a closeup lens or direct mount the C/U lens to the port which will also protect the port. 

That's what I do on the 70 mm port (12-50 or 60 mm).  Just have to remember to flip it open at the first of the dive :blush:

Bob

Edited by Deep6, 22 June 2013 - 08:45 AM.

Carpe carp - Seize the carp