• Please log in to reply
765 replies to this topic

#561 MarkB

MarkB

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:21 PM

I have a question concerning an earlier part of this thread about the settings of the OMD for underwater.

I am trying to set the F2 button to the flash setting (so that I can change from TTL to manual quickly) but I can't seem to find that option on the menu. However, on the Button Funtion menu, my options skip from Magnify to OFF so I don't get a choice of the Flash Mode (the lightning symbol).

Any idea of what I am doing wrong and how I can assign that function to the F2 button?

Thanks,

Mark

#562 coroander

coroander

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:01 PM

The E-M5 is very configurable, but not every function can be assigned to every button. Setting F2 to change the flash mode does not appear to be possible. You can assign flash mode to right arrow or down arrow (if <^v> is set to Direct Function.

#563 glee719

glee719

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:21 PM

Do you mean to change the flash power from 0 to some + or - compensation in the camera body?  Or do you mean to change the flash mode from "fill" to some other setting?

I don't really see the need to do that since you can change it on the strobe quite easily and keep the camera setting the same.

I have a question concerning an earlier part of this thread about the settings of the OMD for underwater.

I am trying to set the F2 button to the flash setting (so that I can change from TTL to manual quickly) but I can't seem to find that option on the menu. However, on the Button Funtion menu, my options skip from Magnify to OFF so I don't get a choice of the Flash Mode (the lightning symbol).

Any idea of what I am doing wrong and how I can assign that function to the F2 button?

Thanks,

Mark

#564 glee719

glee719

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:28 PM

I visited a shop in Taiwan and he makes customized CNC aluminum gadgets for U/W cameras.  It's a sliding mechanism instead of a flipping mechanism.  I tried both types and feel there are both with advantages and disadvantages.  At the end I picked the flip type he makes because it was < $100.  It's a very solid piece with precision.  If anyone is interested I can post a quick review on this.

That's what I do on the 70 mm port (12-50 or 60 mm).  Just have to remember to flip it open at the first of the dive :blush:

Bob

#565 MarkB

MarkB

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:02 PM

Do you mean to change the flash power from 0 to some + or - compensation in the camera body?  Or do you mean to change the flash mode from "fill" to some other setting?

I don't really see the need to do that since you can change it on the strobe quite easily and keep the camera setting the same.

I did what to change it from fill to manual. You don't need to change the settings in the camera except that when shooting the strobes manually it is better to set the camera's manual setting to the lowest power (1/64) so that it recycles quicker. When going back to TTL, you should then reset the flash setting to Fill. Using the arrow button (which I now know how to do) makes this much quicker.

#566 troporobo

troporobo

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:00 PM

I visited a shop in Taiwan and he makes customized CNC aluminum gadgets for U/W cameras.  It's a sliding mechanism instead of a flipping mechanism.  I tried both types and feel there are both with advantages and disadvantages.  At the end I picked the flip type he makes because it was < $100.  It's a very solid piece with precision.  If anyone is interested I can post a quick review on this.

I am definitely interested!  Contact details would be great too. Thanks

#567 wydeangle

wydeangle

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:34 AM

KFish's MODE DIAL COVER just fell off her nearly new E-M5 - yikes!

Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, how does it get reinstalled permanently? Superglue? Double-sided tape? Ship to Olympus under RMA (pain...)?

Tom

#568 Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:43 AM

This is a well documented problem and many have used the super glue while others have returned to Olympus for the free fix.

#569 oda

oda

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:00 AM

I did read almost all of the posts in this very interesting and informing thread. But I didn't find the answer to my question:

Actually, I want to buy the NA-EM5, now reading a lot of stuff (what to buy, what to consider). But I still don't know how I can connect my two INON S2000 strobes with my optical cables having "no end" (cut-off). It seems like there are only the Sea&Sea plugs...Or are there two tiny holes for my sort of cables?

Andreas

#570 Yako

Yako

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:30 AM

are there two tiny holes for my sort of cables?

Yes, the housing have two tiny holes. See the photo. They are between the bigger holes (Sea&Sea plugs...), but in vertical --> http://www.nauticam....sp?id=159&pid=1

Edited by Yako, 26 June 2013 - 09:32 AM.

Olympus OMD E-M1, Naticam housing, 2x S&S D1, Oly 60mm , 12-50mm & 12-40mm, Pana 8mm & 7-14mm

My Flickr Gallery

#571 oda

oda

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:37 AM

Great, thank you very much! Wasn't sure and didn't find sample pics with connected INON strobes...I'm looking forward to be a part of the EM5 community :)

Edited by oda, 26 June 2013 - 09:37 AM.

#572 denniscloutier

denniscloutier

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:11 AM

This is a well documented problem and many have used the super glue while others have returned to Olympus for the free fix.

Not quite free.  I just got that fixed.  Olympus originally wanted to charge me about $180, but I managed to talk them down to about $80 to fix it.  My camera was about 1 month out of warranty.  If I hadn't lost the knob I think I would have tried gluing it back on myself.

#573 oskar

oskar

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:57 PM

Speaking of  optical triggering.  Does anyone if my old YS110 (non-alpha) would work with the EM5?  

These have an early TTL / pre-flash cancellation circuit that has been known to cause problems with some cameras.   However, if i can reuse these on the housing the upgrade equation becomes much nicer

#574 jdiver

jdiver

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:31 AM

I use the old YS110 strobes with the EM5.  Works very well, but I only use it in manual, that way I can turn the camera flash down to 1/64 power for really fast recycle time.  I found the ttl t be a little inconsistent, not sure if better or worse than human error when using manual.  But I really like the fast recycle time so I prefer manual.

#575 glee719

glee719

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:39 AM

Both of my dials fell off soon afterward.  I epoxied them and almost got them stuck because I used too much and they dripped down.  I had to keep on turning the dials to keep them loose :D

I didn't bother sending it back to Olympus.  They will know that was used in a housing and then claim all warranty voided.  They are good at that.

Not quite free.  I just got that fixed.  Olympus originally wanted to charge me about $180, but I managed to talk them down to about $80 to fix it.  My camera was about 1 month out of warranty.  If I hadn't lost the knob I think I would have tried gluing it back on myself.

#576 oskar

oskar

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:31 AM

Great news!  I use them in manual today too, so that would be the prefered solution in the future

I use the old YS110 strobes with the EM5.  Works very well, but I only use it in manual, that way I can turn the camera flash down to 1/64 power for really fast recycle time.  I found the ttl t be a little inconsistent, not sure if better or worse than human error when using manual.  But I really like the fast recycle time so I prefer manual.

#577 troporobo

troporobo

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:43 PM

But I still don't know how I can connect my two INON S2000 strobes with my optical cables having "no end" (cut-off). It seems like there are only the Sea&Sea plugs...Or are there two tiny holes for my sort of cables?

I use the same strobes with the S&S style plugs. The cable ends can be easily super glued to the plugs, which I find is more secure than just sticking the cable ends into the smaller holes

#578 Conny3479

Conny3479

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:32 PM

I did read almost all of the posts in this very interesting and informing thread. But I didn't find the answer to my question:

Actually, I want to buy the NA-EM5, now reading a lot of stuff (what to buy, what to consider). But I still don't know how I can connect my two INON S2000 strobes with my optical cables having "no end" (cut-off). It seems like there are only the Sea&Sea plugs...Or are there two tiny holes for my sort of cables?

Andreas

I have 2x inon D2000 and i use the two tiny hole for my cut off cables. You don't need the plugs or any kind of glue. Just stick them into :-).

best wishes,

Conny

#579 Karl

Karl

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:05 PM

If you need plugs for Inon cables so they fi the holes in front of the internal flash you can get these ones - http://www.reefwreck...ccessories.html (4th item from the bottom of the page) - they are only about $14USD and work well, all of my friends have them on their Inon strobes and they would be more secure than just sticking them into the small holes.

Karl

Everyone is entitled to my opinion!!

#580 Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:17 PM

Or, you could buy the Olympus replacement plugs (do the same thing) for around $3.00, Reef Phoro for one has them in stock.

Phil Rudin