• Please log in to reply
765 replies to this topic

#741 Chris_Narberth

Chris_Narberth

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:39 AM

Thanks Draq.  I have the TR-DUP with the TR-DM, so two handles.  I am curious to see if it is wide enough to use comfortably the Nauticam housing.

#742 coroander

coroander

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:36 AM

Firmware version 2.0 for the E-M5 is out now. Adds small focus point selection and LOW ISO (100):

http://www.olympus.c...ameraupdate.cfm

Need to update the settings post,

http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=48625 ,

since now there's much less need to assign one of the buttons just to get a small focus point (using magnify).

Edited by coroander, 29 January 2014 - 10:51 AM.

#743 Jock

Jock

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:26 PM

Hi coroander (and others), 

just a quick hint: See my posting (#51) in the above mentioned wetpixel thread with my thoughts about low ISO and how to set the small focus pint.

Jock

p.s.: A big thank to you for all the detailed descriptions on how to set the E M5 - it was and still is a phantastic help.

---
http://www.dive-images.de
---

Olympus OM-D EM5, Inon Z240 and Nikonos RS, Ikelite SS200

#744 MarkB

MarkB

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:48 PM

I just updated my firmware and can see the extra low ISO setting but I am not sure how to access the small focus point?

Mark

#745 Deep6

Deep6

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:28 AM

Please do update the settings post.

TIA,

Bob

Carpe carp - Seize the carp

#746 markw

markw

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:45 PM

Is there a ring available for the 60mm macro that allows selection of the focus range when in the Nauticam 12-50 port? I presume a clever engineer could create something to utilise the second knob on this housing.

#747 coroander

coroander

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:12 PM

It looks quite difficult, but there are some clever people with 3D printers making gears for m43 lenses:

http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=48700

and:

http://www.thingiver...riedman/designs

Edited by coroander, 01 March 2014 - 11:20 PM.

#748 nudibranco

nudibranco

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:clear waters for WA and small critters ! Beach diving

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:23 AM

will the focus gear for the 60mm macro lens work also to zoom the 12-50mm in the nauticam 4" port??

#749 coroander

coroander

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:53 PM

You can use the focus gear for the 60mm macro in the 12-50mm port.

#750 astralmind

astralmind

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:08 AM

A bit of an odd question to ask but after reading countless reviews and forums I still can't find a clear cut honest answer on this one.

I have the possibility to grab a OM-EM5 with 12-50 kit lens, in great condition, for 675$ (locally, no shipping)

I was originally looking at the less expensive E-PL5 with its kit Zuiko 14-42 RII which I can probably find for 550$ shipped.

The housing for the EM5 is more expensive (1000 vs 750) too.

The EM5 is a step above the PL5 without a doubt however I'm a bit concerned about some of the newer features of the PL5 not being included in the M5.

Based on your knowledge, would you still consider the EM5 a worthy investment, or is it 'outdated' in some aspects ?

#751 Aleksandar

Aleksandar

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:11 PM

This would mostly be in the eye of the beholder, so to speak. Are the EPL5 features you find missing in EM5 of use to you?

I am not missing anything on my EM5 to complain about, apart maybe from perhaps focus peaking. However, this is irrelevant feature for underwater application and relates to old, manual focus lenses. Even if I was missing something, it is probably of little importance as I do not know I am missing something. :D

<°)^(Oo<

Current setup: Olympus OMD-EM5, NA-EM5 + accessories.

#752 carolinepower70808

carolinepower70808

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:09 PM

HI, 

I am looking for a bit of advice about using the EM5. I was lucky enough to find dolphins yesterday on the way back from my dive. I had about a 10 minute encounter with two bottlenose and snapped as many photos as I could. However, almost all of them were out of focus. I was shooting on Shutter Speed Priority at 80 and auto focus.  That is what I used to do with my old camera, a g12, and never had any issues. So my question is: what is the best focus setting to use for quick moving open ocean species like dolphins, mantas, and whale sharks? 

#753 Deep6

Deep6

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:12 AM

I was having the same problem shooting my niece's basketball game.  Use single focus.  Was the "out of focus" really motion blur?  I would crank the shutter speed up to at least 1/250 and bump the ISO if needed.

Carpe carp - Seize the carp

#754 markw

markw

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:42 PM

A question for those using the Olympus 60mm macro lens in manual focus mode (on an EM5).

When I turn the focus ring, the image changes to 14x the original no matter what setting I select. Once I leave it the original view returns. I am unable to achieve focus in manual mode and wondered if anyone else has experienced this and if so, how you dealt with it. Any suggestions on how to fix this frustrating issue would be most helpful.

Thanks,

Mark

Edited by markw, 04 April 2014 - 11:22 PM.

#755 frank70

frank70

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:45 AM

When u are in this mode if u rurn one off the wheels it changes see this video in german

https://www.youtube....6rXRdCXFdxiNCCp

somewhere around 24 minutes

Frank

#756 markw

markw

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:04 AM

Thanks Frank, that's very helpful. 

I didn't see that option in the manual (it's probably there somewhere).

Mark

#757 troporobo

troporobo

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:45 PM

It sounds like you have the "manual focus assist" activated.  This can be toggled on or off.  It's somewhere in the MF/AF menu but I can't remember exactly where

#758 markw

markw

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:06 AM

Thanks tropobro - I don't mind having this option if I can get to grips with how to use it. Frank's suggestion above helped - the amount of magnification can be reduced by turning the front wheel and this makes it possible to focus manually. It's also pleasing to know that the lens is functioning correctly.

Mark

#759 troporobo

troporobo

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 01:15 PM

Had a chance to look this morning - "MF Assist" is in the *A menu

#760 carolinepower70808

carolinepower70808

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:01 PM

Hi,

So I finally have time to play around with my camera and have found a few things that I would appreciate some advice with. I have the nauticam housing with a Lumix 7-14 lens, the 12-50, and a +7 bluewater diopter. 

When using the 12-50 lens, I am noticing a significant loss of sharpness especially in closer focus photos though in wider angle photos as well. Most of the macro photos were taken at f22 (iso 200, 1/250) which may explain some of the loss of sharpness. But some experimental photos at f16 didn't sharpen the photos.  While I know it is not a dedicated Marco lens, I still expected it to be sharper. Has anyone else experienced this? And more importantly, have you experienced this with the 60MM macro lens (this is next on my list of purchases). I know f22 is high but I really like the black background it produces with the nudis I have found in Roatan. 

I have also been experimenting with over/under short with the Lumix 7-14 lens and the Nauticam dome  and would like some advice as to the best settings. The photos I have taken seem to be a bit soft as well.

I am also having focusing issues with the 12-50 lens. In many of my photos, especially of a turtle I found on my last dive, the eyes or intended focus area seem to be out of focus and the adjacent area in focus. Is it best to move the focus points through the "main menu" or use the F2 button to access the "magnified box" and move that around?

Thanks for any and all advice,

Caroline