• Please log in to reply
778 replies to this topic

#761 Draq

Draq

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:34 PM

Try using the 12-50 at no smaller than about f11 and preferably closer to f8.  Similarly, the 7-14 does best right around f8.  I haven't really evaluated this with my lens, but have heard the 12-50 is best 1-2 stops down from max aperture.  At  f22 you are well past the point where diffraction degrades the images you get.  That isn't unique to that lens.

I have not used a diopter on the 12-50 and am unfamiliar with the one you are using; could that be at least some of the problem?

I have not experienced the focus problems or excessive softness you are describing with the 12-50, so I'm not sure what to say.  It isn't widely regarded as a tack-sharp lens, but I am generally happy with it.  The 60 is a better macro lens but of course you give up that zoom flexibility.  Which is best depends on your priorities.

FWIW, my 60 does not seem to exhibit any softness or focus issues.  Perhaps post some images?

#762 Sentlon

Sentlon

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:40 PM

Is the nuticam 7" inch dome work on pana 7-14mm?
Is so, whats the outcome?

#763 Kadu

Kadu

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 04:50 PM

Hi guys i need a litle help with my new OMD EM1, i need to fire the internal flash flipped down to fire the external strobes using a fiber optic cable, and for this i need to Change the Flash Mode so that the flash will fire even when flipped down, where i can configure this on the menu of OMD EM1 ?, i am using the new AE-M1 Aquatica Housing, sorry about my poor english.

www.kadupinheiro.com
Kadu Pinheiro

#764 Aleksandar

Aleksandar

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:08 AM

Set custom function keys to underwater mode - one fish/3 fishes icon (if you use 12-50 this also zooms to far end or wide), and it will fire even when positioned down.

<°)^(Oo<

Current setup: Olympus OMD-EM5, NA-EM5 + accessories.

#765 Kadu

Kadu

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:11 PM

Tks Aleksander !!

www.kadupinheiro.com
Kadu Pinheiro

#766 markw

markw

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:28 AM

Hello all,

Thanks for the responses to the focus assist 'problem' I had with the manual focus on my Olympus 60mm macro lens.

I have used a 3D printer to print a focus gear using a file on the web that was made for the 60mm in a Nauticam housing (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:40267/#files) but there were no assembly instructions. It is not clear how the 'base' fits with the other two components (how these fit together is obvious). Has anyone tried this and if so I would be grateful for any hints on assembly? 

Mark

#767 Eismann113

Eismann113

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:53 AM

Hello dear diving-colleagues,

after one wonderful week of diving in Madeira I have recognized a tiny, almost unnoticable crack in the anodized surface of my new Nauticam housing. It is located at the inner side of the rear door just near the main O-ring and is continously in contact with saltwater while diving.

Can anyone give me a hint if this is something to worry about in terms of corrosion of the aluminium body or just to forget, as ist does not affect functionality.

Thanx in advance and have a nice weekend,

Eismann

P4251612.jpg

P4251613.jpg

#768 emapola

emapola

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:40 AM

Hello everyone, I'm buying the new diving equipment. I chose Olympus omd EM5 with Nauticam na-EM5. How do I choose brackets Nauticam Flexitray II. I ask you some advice about the buoyancy of a configuration like this:

- Olympus omd EM5
- Nauticam na EM5 + Flexitray II and right handle.
- 2 x Inon flash s2000
- 2x arms Nauticam 8 "
- 2x arms Nauticam 5 "
- 6x Nauticam Clamp
- Lens olympus 9-18
- Nauticam semi-dome port 4 "

According to what you want can be negative in the water?
How do I balance the weight? floating booms?

Thanks to all

Edited by emapola, 20 May 2014 - 06:41 AM.

#769 Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1043 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:51 AM

I would try a four pack of these jumbo blocks to start about 1.7 lbs. of flotation, they should fit on your Nauticam arms with no problem. They also have a smaller version.

http://reefphoto.com...roducts_id=2321

#770 troporobo

troporobo

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 04:15 PM

It will be negative, even with four Stix floats, but not so much that handling is impaired.  I shoot the same rig on 60-80 minute dives all the time with no fatigue 

#771 f2tai

f2tai

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:15 PM

@emapola - are the arms in your selection float arms? If yes, you should be fine. If not, i'd suggest to keep 2x "normal" arms and 2x float like these

I have STIX floats on the 2x other arms too, and have found that having 4x float arms don't give me the flexibility that i want with 2x normal + 2x float as a system.

#772 tobbe

tobbe

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:50 AM

I have been using the OM-D EM5 for the last two years, and i love the rig, especially when travelling.
However i have some issues when switching to manual focus in murky waters when shooting fisheye.
I have assigned one of the Fn buttons for MF/AF that works fine. When turning the camera it will be set to infinity, that is great on the top side, but in the housing under water behind the dome it will result in images out of focus.
The thing i usually do is to focus on something two meter away just under the surface, and then switch to MF before decending.
That works if i keep the camera on during the dive, but if the camera goes into stand-by mode it will go back to infinity again.
Has anyone found a better way when using manual focus without using a focus gear?

Edited by tobbe, 31 May 2014 - 11:57 AM.

Sea&Sea MDX D-300, Tokina 10-17mm, Nikkor 60mm, Nauticam OM-D, 8mm Panasonic, 2 x Sea & Sea YS-110a

#773 coroander

coroander

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 01:41 PM

tobbe,

if you use the settings here:

http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=48625

then setting the camera to MF allows you to:

push the lever on the back to trigger autofocus, but the camera will otherwise remain in MF.

#774 coroander

coroander

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 02:30 PM

Also, i suspect your particular problem is because in:

Custom Menu -> A. AF/MF -> Reset Lens

is set to On. It needs to be set to Off to prevent the camera from resetting the focus.

#775 tobbe

tobbe

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 01:20 AM

Thanks Coroander, I will have a try with your settings!

Sea&Sea MDX D-300, Tokina 10-17mm, Nikkor 60mm, Nauticam OM-D, 8mm Panasonic, 2 x Sea & Sea YS-110a

#776 caroline.power

caroline.power

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:36 PM

Has any body heard if there are plans to.make a fisheye zoom for the EM5? I am about to purchase the 8mm fisheye but would wait for the flexibility a zoom if it is in the works.
Thanks

#777 TedJ

TedJ

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:01 PM

Very cool, Ted.  Will be watching to see how you like it.  I'm in a bit of a hold pattern still trying to figure out what to do.  My bank account is telling me to stick with the 40D a while longer but we'll see how it goes.

Mike

She really likes the rig, especially the comfort of the vacuum system.

It is a complicated camera. The menus are very obtuse and some settings don't seem to stay where you set them.
But that's what you get with the level of customization that the EM-1 allows.

The housing has a number of features like the moving of the rear O-ring to the door that are very positive.
The reduction in size from the Nikon D70/Subal is greatly appreciated, although it is bigger than the NEX-5n/Nauticam that she had for a short time.

All in all a hit!

Ted Janssen

NEX-7, Nauticam,  INON, and ULCS

#778 MagnusW

MagnusW

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:34 AM

So did anyone properly test out the 9-18mm olympus m43 lens in the nauticam 3.5 and 4.33 ports and got a good result. Diopter plus which extension ring?

What is the weight of the Zen 170mm dome port fort Nauticams olympus housing?

#779 coroander

coroander

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:46 PM

There's zero chance that good results will be obtained with the 9-18mm behind the 3.5" or 4.33" dome ports. These ports are far too curved to allow the corners to have any chance of ever being in focus.

The 9-18mm behind the 4" semi-dome (which has the same optical radius as the 6" semi-dome for the 7-14mm) with a +2 diopter looks excellent.

12mm test results behind the 4.33" dome:

http://wetpixel.com/...=51858&p=342712

Storker's 9-18mm test results behind the 4" semi-dome:

http://wetpixel.com/...=51969&p=343523

Edited by coroander, 17 June 2014 - 03:48 PM.