• Please log in to reply
778 replies to this topic

#81 derway

derway

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1136 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:43 AM

Also it does not appear that the standard flat port is NOT included with the PT-E08 housing but is an add-on.

Too many negatives there. I guess it does not appear that the standard flat port IS included...
Don Erway
http://picasaweb.google.com/onederway/
http://www.pbase.com/derway

nikon n90s/ikelite housing/twin SS-200 canon G2/ikelite/DS-50/optical TTL slave
sony V3/ikelite/DS-51/Heinrich DA2 slave

#82 Conny3479

Conny3479

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:03 PM

Olympus today released a firmware update (v.1.2) for the E-M5 when used in underwater mode with the 12-50 power zoom lens. In the U/W wide angle mode the lens will auto zoom to 12mm and when placed in the U/W macro mode the lens zooms to 50mm. This will allow those using the lens without a gear to get to both ends of the zoom range. It does not appear from the press release that you can get into the macro mode with this update. At 50mm close focus gives you an image area of about 1:4, in a 35mm equivalent V. about 1:1 in the macro mode. Still this will allow the lens to be used in the standard Olympus port or with the Nuaticam housing in both W/A and closeup on the same dive without a gear.

I download the new firmware and noting happens wenn i switch to the underwatermode. Not in W/A or Macro mode - no zooming at all.
Is there still a little bug???

cheers,
Conny

#83 girelle

girelle

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:43 AM

The Nauticam NA-EM5 housing should start shipping this coming weekend.

YEEEESSSSSS !!!!! :):):):)

#84 Conny3479

Conny3479

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:43 AM

I download the new firmware and noting happens wenn i switch to the underwatermode. Not in W/A or Macro mode - no zooming at all.
Is there still a little bug??

I found out that you must switch to E-Zoom to make it work :-)

#85 jlyle

jlyle

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:20 AM

A little help, please. I have a standing order for a Nauticam housing for the OM-D. I've been told that the shipping date has slipped and I may not get the housing until after the 28th. Since we leave for Mexico on the 28th, I probably won't get the housing before our trip. If anyone knows of a store that will have a housing I can buy in time, I would sincerely appreciate a heads-up.
Olmpus OM-D EM-5 in a Nauticam housing with dual Sea and Sea YS D1 strobes
8mm, 12-50mm, 45mm lenses
My web page.

#86 Jock

Jock

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:22 PM

Olympus today released a firmware update (v.1.2) for the E-M5 when used in underwater mode with the 12-50 power zoom lens. ...
Phil Rudin

Phil,

Never bothered to have a look through the different scene modes - but after the firmware-update I did - only to find out that in my camera there simply isn't any underwater-mode! (Not that I would use it...) Also, in dpreview.com under specifications there is NO underwater-mode listed (review from April). Any hidden menu I need to activate? Very strange...

Jock

Edited by Jock, 14 July 2012 - 10:22 PM.

---
http://www.dive-images.de
---

Olympus OM-D EM5, Inon Z240 and Nikonos RS, Ikelite SS200

#87 Conny3479

Conny3479

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:06 AM

Phil,

Never bothered to have a look through the different scene modes - but after the firmware-update I did - only to find out that in my camera there simply isn't any underwater-mode! (Not that I would use it...) Also, in dpreview.com under specifications there is NO underwater-mode listed (review from April). Any hidden menu I need to activate? Very strange...

Jock

Hi Jock,

the underwater mode is a little bit tricky to find. When you configure your buttons you have the possility to set an underwater mode (it has a little fish symbol). You can use the F1, F2, Rec oder down button - last one i choose. So when you push the new button you can switch from wide angle to tele configuration. It does also do some setting on the WB a.s.o.. The new zoom changes only work when you switch at the lens to the E-Zoom.

cheers,
Conny

#88 Jock

Jock

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:06 AM

the underwater mode is a little bit tricky to find. ...

Aaah - the (in)famous Olympus menu! Found it, thanks

Jock

---
---

#89 tdtaylor

tdtaylor

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:03 AM

Guess I am being dense, but what advantage does UW mode provide- changed WB? Shoot Raw, so that would not be a great advantage. To date, I have lived without such a Mode- maybe I just don't know what I am missing ;-) At least I know know what the fishy and group of fishes mean.

#90 Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1056 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:59 AM

This started off as a very simple update regarding the new Olympus 12-50 zoom lens. If you do the firmware update you will be able to use the 12-50 without a ZOOM GEAR by shifting from the U/W macro mode for the 50 end to the U/W wide mode to zoom the lens to 12mm. That is the reason I started talking about the U/W modes. Then jock went off on me because he "never bothered" to locate the U/W modes in his camera or to ask how to find them.

Bottom line is Olympus, unlike Panasonic has given us a way to zoom the power Zoom lens from the camera body.
Would have been nice if it opened the full zoom range and not just 12 & 50mm.

Phil Rudin

#91 chris_l

chris_l

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:03 AM

Phil,
Is this new body controlled zoom capability limited to the em-5 or can other bodies take advantage as well?
I'm specifically interested in the epl2.

Thanks

#92 Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1056 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:13 AM

I don't know if Olympus can make this firmware upgrade work with other Olympus mirrorless cameras.

Phil Rudin

#93 tdtaylor

tdtaylor

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:18 AM

If you do the firmware update you will be able to use the 12-50 without a ZOOM GEAR by shifting from the U/W macro mode for the 50 end to the U/W wide mode to zoom the lens to 12mm.

Phil Rudin

Thank you, Phil. Finally got my head around the function. Your simple explanation is the best I have seen to date- and the first I understand.

#94 RogerC

RogerC

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:02 PM

Size comparison photos.
Canon 5D mark 2 and 16-35 zoom, (no shade, guess I should have left it on for the photo)
Olympus E520 and 7-14 zoom (with shade, it's not removable)
Olympus OM-D EM-5 and 8mm lens (with shade, it's not removable)

yeah, the 8mm isn't a zoom, so it's not exactly apples to apples, but damn it's small.

in case I didn't get the linking right, they are here:

http://www.rogercarl...24217490_cWh5jD

Posted Image

Posted Image

#95 Conny3479

Conny3479

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:27 AM

Does someone know if the new port for 12-50mm has a 67mm thread to attach the macrolenses? When they start to ship the port?????

Conny

#96 Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1056 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:20 AM

If you are talking about the Olympus PT-E08 housing for the E-M5 I have attached a link to the system chart which does include a mount for the 67mm type closeup lenses. Same as for the PEN housing systems.
Also attached is a youTube video of how the port is attached and removed.

http://www.olympus.c...stem_ptep08.pdf

Phil Rudin

#97 Conny3479

Conny3479

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:26 AM

If you are talking about the Olympus PT-E08 housing for the E-M5 I have attached a link to the system chart which does include a mount for the 67mm type closeup lenses. Same as for the PEN housing systems.
Also attached is a youTube video of how the port is attached and removed.

http://www.olympus.c...stem_ptep08.pdf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRc4-fmMwvk&feature=player_embedded

Phil Rudin

and whats about the Nauticam housing??

#98 Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1056 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:15 AM

A new port is being developed that allows you to access the macro function as well as zoom the lens through the full range from 12 to 50mm.

Phil

Edited by Phil Rudin, 18 July 2012 - 11:16 AM.

#99 Jock

Jock

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:12 PM

This started off as a very simple update regarding the new Olympus 12-50 zoom lens. ... Then jock went off on me because he "never bothered" to locate the U/W modes in his camera or to ask how to find them.
Phil Rudin

????

Phil, I simply asked where to find the UW-mode! I own the camera for just more than a week and are still exploring it - huge task, btw. Normally, I never use modes like portrait, snow etc.pp. But after I read your posting about the update I tried to find UW mode. It is not in the scenes menu (as it is in P&S Olys like my old SP350) - that is why I asked. Okay, okay, maybe I should have RTFM first...

Jock

---
---

#100 tdtaylor

tdtaylor

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:23 AM

For what it is worth, I asked Nauticam about the new Panny 12-35 f2.8 coming out (getting excellent reviews ), and they were non-committal about supporting it. The response:

I have not heard of any plans, yet. We'll need to get a hold of one and evaluate it. It doesn't have nearly the magnification of the 12-50mm, so am not sure it will be that popular with u/w photographers. It's also going to be $1300 which will dampen enthusiasm for it too, I would guess.

Guess I understand. It does appear to have good close focus. Lensrentals review:

http://www.lensrenta...onic-12-35-f2-8

Also, for what it is worth, DxO came out with their modules for the OM-D and a few lenses (hadn't been looking for this- use it for my events and sports photography with my DSLRs). Quickly tried it last night, and it seems to clean up the 12-50 Raw photos fairly well. Hadn't really thought of using DxO on these photos- guess it is just value added.