• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 etan714

etan714

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 05:27 PM

I am just starting out with U/W photography. I shoot above water as a sports photographer and am trying to sort out what route to take entering the U/W world

I will be going somewhere diveable this summer for a few weeks and want to get a setup before hand so I can practice. I have an inon d2000 strobe that works and am hoping to use it with whatever setup I go with. I am still unsure whether to put the money into a housing for my D700 or getting a P & S system like the canon g12 or a 4/3rds like the Oly Ep-1.

So my question is it possible to use the Inon D2000 as a strobe with the ikelite housings for the G12 or D700 or the Olympus or Canon housings for their respective cameras? If so how could I go about that.

I know thats a wide range of cameras and housings but I am still in the process of figuring out what I will be doing and whether I can use this strobe will influence by decision.

thanks
nate

Edited by etan714, 27 May 2012 - 05:27 PM.

#2 JimSwims

JimSwims

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 11:32 PM

The D2000 is an optically triggered strobe only, ie it uses a fibre optic cable to slave off the cameras flash. Whichever housing/camera you use
you will need a flash on the camera and the ability to attach the optic fibre to the housings front. The Ikelite housings are acrylic so attaching
the fibre optics is no issue. Check with Ikelite but I believe there is not enough room in the top of their D700 housing for the flash to pop up fully
and fire. One workaround would be an LED trigger like This One. Most of the OEM housings have provision for mounting fibre optics or there are
3rd party solutions aplenty.

Cheers,
Jim.

My photostream on Flickr My gallery on Redbubble

D90 in Nexus; 60mm, Woody's Diopter, 105mm, SubSee +5 & +10 magnifiers, 10-17mm, Kenko 1.4 TC, 10-24mm, 18-55mm & Inon Z240 strobes.

#3 etan714

etan714

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:27 PM

Thanks Jim,

So then if i get the fiber optic cable and get it attached to fore the Inon strobe should I mask the part of the housing the cameras flash would fire through( as long as the flash can fire) so there is less chance of back scatter? does that even make sense?

The D2000 is an optically triggered strobe only, ie it uses a fibre optic cable to slave off the cameras flash. Whichever housing/camera you use
you will need a flash on the camera and the ability to attach the optic fibre to the housings front. The Ikelite housings are acrylic so attaching
the fibre optics is no issue. Check with Ikelite but I believe there is not enough room in the top of their D700 housing for the flash to pop up fully
and fire. One workaround would be an LED trigger like This One. Most of the OEM housings have provision for mounting fibre optics or there are
3rd party solutions aplenty.

Cheers,
Jim.