6 replies to this topic

#1 MortenHansen

MortenHansen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:42 AM

Hi everyone!

Have been having a bit of fun with some plumbing parts, electrical tape, some tupperware-boxes and some marine-grade epoxy here is what it ended up with:

The items used to build the strobes:
Hacksaw, knife, scissors, electrical tape, sandpaper, black spray paint, black straws, epoxy, plumbing parts, cups, tupperware-boxes, male garden-hose couplings.
_MG_6822_001.JPG

The parts were cut, sanded and glued to fit, finally a good thick layer of spray-on paint was given
_MG_6825_001.JPG

Strobe with finished snoot attached, tripod with ball-adapter, large snoot for CFWA shots
_MG_7915_001.JPG

The straws are held together with electrical tape and really helped to direct the light in a nice round and constricted beam
_MG_7917_001.JPG

The snoots simply squeze over the front of my Inon strobes, making it easy to remove/replace underwater. I found that for the small snoot the hole for the plumbing pipe had to be off-center and directly above the strobe to get enough light through.
-The large snoot gives a spot with a 10-15cm diameter
-The small snoot gives a spot with a 5cm diameter
-The small snoot with garden-hose coupling inserted gives a spot of 1-2cm

This stuff is pretty easy to make, and a whole lot of fun! The shooting is, lets say challenging, spending 20-60min pr subject until I get the shot I want, with practice hopefully it will go a bit faster :P

Hope this comes in handy to some of you guys out there who wants to get some unique images without spending a lot of money :)

Test shots will come up soon,
Happy bubbles, Morten.

#2 MortenHansen

MortenHansen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:08 AM

Here are a couple of shots from my first dives with the black beasts! :P

Harlequin Shrimp from the Liberty Wreck, small snoot
_MG_6971.jpg

Waspfish from Lombok, side/back-lighted with the big snoot
_MG_7205.jpg

Snake-eel from Lombok w. small snoot
_MG_7320.jpg

Sea-urchin from Lombok w. small snoot
_MG_7341.jpg

Nembrotha Kubaryana from our house-reef, w. small snoot
_MG_7030.jpg

#3 tomachik

tomachik

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:40 PM

thanx for sharing,
could you tell us where to get the tools and the size ,thanx

#4 MortenHansen

MortenHansen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:05 AM

thanx for sharing,
could you tell us where to get the tools and the size ,thanx

Well, tools I got from the workshop in the diving-center, I think these simple tools you should be able to find in any workshop - if not, drop by your local hardware store, they will have everything you need, I even managed to find this stuff in Bali! :lol:

The sizes, I just took a few bit and pieces of plumbing parts from the shop, fitted them together and tried them out, I think Keri Wilik wrote quite a good guide on snoots and how they spread/reduce the spread of light! :)

Hope you find what you need,
Morten.

#5 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1169 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:46 AM

I love the idea of using straws to collimate the light, especially for the CFWA snoot. I use these ( http://www.wickes.co...or/invt/713032/ ) which are a perfect fit on Z-240s and intend to fit aluminium or polypropylene honeycomb ( http://www.corex-hon...om/Default.aspx ) to achieve the same as you have with the straws.

Edited by Timmoranuk, 19 June 2012 - 07:46 AM.

· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm
· INON Z-240s & Sea & Sea YS-250 Pros
· SmallHD DP4 monitor & NA-DP4. Fisheye Aquavolt 3500s & 7000s
· Zen DP-100, DP-200 & DP-230

#6 Conny3479

Conny3479

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:19 AM

Hi,
the snoots look very cool - i will try to build one. So i have one question - how did you get the connection between the flash and the tupperboxes? Did you use screws?

cheers,
Conny

#7 MortenHansen

MortenHansen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:28 PM

Well, I brought one of my strobes to the hardware store and just looked for something I could squeeze over the top of the strobe- the tupperware that I found was a little too small (a few mm), so I cut some slits in the sides of them, so that the plastic could bend outwards slightly, that did the trick! Remember that if you find something in the shape of a funnel you can simply cut it off at the diameter you want ;)
-Morten