8 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1730 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:26 AM

At last I've managed to get some decent shots of the UK's most poisonous fish. So for what its worth here is the detail that I was after. The venom is injected via the opercular spine and can be treated by using hot water (as hot as is bearable) for around 15 minutes or so. The heat denatures the venom. At least one cafe at the top of a local beach has a bucket handy on hot days when paddlers are most likely to get 'stung' as they tread on these fish. Divers are unlikely to have problems unless digging in sand with bare hands.
D0082067annotated.jpg

Edited by Paul Kay, 29 May 2012 - 03:27 AM.

Paul Kay, Canon EOS5D/5DII, SEACAM/S45, 15, 24L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales underseacameras & marinewildlife & paulkayphotography & welshmarinefish

#2 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:52 AM

Cool shot. Like one ever needed a reason not to wade in UK waters. :P
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#3 Cerianthus

Cerianthus

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:54 AM

Is this how they sit Paul? I did always think they would bury themselves all under the sand but flat (like flatfish) just their head sticking out
Gerard

My photo's on flickr
Crop the world ! (Using Canon 20D, 60mm, 100mm, 10-17mm FE, Ikelite)

#4 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1730 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:48 AM

Is this how they sit Paul? I did always think they would bury themselves all under the sand but flat (like flatfish) just their head sticking out

It was just about to swim off. Usually just their eyes show but this one was concerned by the port. It was a small (~5cm long) one so probably young and wary. Most people think that its the dorsal which injects the venom (apparently including anglers who get 'stung' when holding them carefully to avoid the dorsal when de-hooking them).
Paul Kay, Canon EOS5D/5DII, SEACAM/S45, 15, 24L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales underseacameras & marinewildlife & paulkayphotography & welshmarinefish

#5 JimG

JimG

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Interests:Photography - underwater and avian, natural history

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:46 PM

Good one Paul - I can never get near the little sods

Jim Greenfield - Canon 5D Mark 3/Aquatica
My Web Site

#6 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1730 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:52 PM

Good one Paul - I can never get near the little sods

Hi Jim

They are! I've been trying for a decent shot for over 20 years and have shot just 1 mediocre one. I've now got three - not as perfect as I would like but far better than anything I've previously shot.

#7 scubaspud25

scubaspud25

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:24 AM

great shot Paul

#8 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:07 PM

Great shot Paul,
i would like to add that Weever - at least here in the Mediterreanean Sea can act very aggressive if they are disturbed.
I know several persons got chased and stung after they missed them with the harpoon or teasing them.
Sure it is not right to spear fish or tease them, but they can act also aggressive seeing them self in a dome port or getting
scared of a approaching diver coming too near.
Weaver often sit in a circle buried under the sand and often they are found as groups of several individuals.
One note if somebody should get stung:
Stings from Weaver are extremely painful, i saw adults rolling on the floor crying and yelling, but the poison is not
particularly venomous and is not a sever health issue for humans except if the are allergic.
last year a woman died in Italy because of a anaphylactic shock after a weaver sting, but this is rather uncommon.
Anyway, if stung, apply hot water as soon as possible as the heat will destroy the protein base venom and
DON'T APPLY ICE as it would worsten the situation!
Chris

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#9 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1730 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:53 AM

.....Weever - at least here in the Mediterreanean Sea can act very aggressive if they are disturbed.
I know several persons got chased and stung after they missed them with the harpoon or teasing them.
Sure it is not right to spear fish or tease them, but they can act also aggressive seeing them self in a dome port or getting
scared of a approaching diver coming too near.
Weaver often sit in a circle buried under the sand and often they are found as groups of several individuals.

Chris

Chris

Are you referring to the Greater Weever (Trachinus draco)? These do occur in British and Irish waters but are rare - I've never seen one. You natural history information is interesting, but I think that the Lesser Weever is essentially a solitary fish up here.