• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MJvC

MJvC

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:55 PM

Hi Drew have have you tested to see if the 5D3 can sync at 250th otherwise this might also be a consideration as the specs say only 200th the extra 50th makes a big difference when shooting sunballs. Cant the nikon do even higher sync speeds if you use fiber optic

#2 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:11 PM

I'm waiting for a proper 5D3 housing to test all that. Hack housing has no controls except shutter! :P I should have one soonish but probably not in time for SA. Going back to your problem of not being able to sync to 1/250. I think it may be the strobes used? My Harty's fire fine @ 1/250, even though there's 1/3 to 1/2 stop drop because it's missing the window. I'll have to test. Maybe we should go look for 7 gill when I get into town.. I'll need to rent a dry suit in CPT though. My semi dry is in PSJ!
Now if those darn sards start running early, all bets are off! :)

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#3 escape

escape

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:35 PM

Hi Drew have have you tested to see if the 5D3 can sync at 250th otherwise this might also be a consideration as the specs say only 200th the extra 50th makes a big difference when shooting sunballs. Cant the nikon do even higher sync speeds if you use fiber optic

You can see banding from 1/250sec.
Tested elec sync cable and led optical trigger, 5DMK3 & Inon Z240.

1/250 sec.
7T3A7111.JPG

1/320 sec.
7T3A7105.JPG

BTW, my 7D (1.6x sensor) can sync at 1/320sec.

#4 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:00 PM

Thanks Eun Jae. I do think it varies from camera to camera. My old 5D2s both could shoot @ 1/250 without the shutter showing up. Mark's could not. It could be the S&S cables or many things. Once I have time I'll put it all to the test.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#5 escape

escape

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:35 PM

Hi Drew,
I'm not sure but maybe with more powerful strobe(longer flash duration) can be avoid visible shutter curtain on higher then 1/200sec.

Edited by escape, 29 May 2012 - 11:57 PM.

#6 MJvC

MJvC

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:42 PM

I tried my YS250's with my 5D2 and it showed up the shutter lag not quite as much as your Z240 but still there. My 5D3 should be arriving next week so I will only be able to test it then. Thanks for your Z240 post. What housing are you going with this time Drew.