• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10595 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 03:33 AM

The annual Ocean Safari aka "Sardine Run" begins. I'm jumping on a plane to get there earlier because sardines have been seen as far North as Coffee Bay. Not too many predators though. Looks like this season is going to be all over the place. I'll try report from the ground as often as possible on here or @wpoceansafari on Twitter.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#2 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8366 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 03:36 AM

Good luck, Drew.

Just out of interest, what cameras will you be taking underwater?

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#3 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10595 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:16 PM

Finally the gang has arrived. This year the Nikon D800 is en vogue and en force the camera to have... I count 6 rigs and more to come! Did I miss the memo?
Also on call is a custom 3D rig using ionized water in a beam splitter configuration. It's a proprietary design so I'll be posting pics if they allow it.
Action has been sparse so I've oncentrated on topside stuff and testing the cameras.
Quite a few WP members on various boats, I'll try organize a get together for everyone.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#4 Brumpy

Brumpy

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:52 AM

Finally the gang has arrived. This year the Nikon D800 is en vogue and en force the camera to have... I count 6 rigs and more to come! Did I miss the memo?
Also on call is a custom 3D rig using ionized water in a beam splitter configuration. It's a proprietary design so I'll be posting pics if they allow it.
Action has been sparse so I've oncentrated on topside stuff and testing the cameras.
Quite a few WP members on various boats, I'll try organize a get together for everyone.

Drew, i am here 3 weeks now, and we got like nothing so far :-(
Saterday is my last day at sea so 3 more days, stil keeping some hope.
Allot of whales thats the only good thing, if you organize a wetpixel drink do it fast sounds fun.

Bruno
GATES EX1 housing

Sony Z1
LMI Bluefin HD housing
Vanherck Underwater Imaging

#5 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2837 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:08 PM

Good luck Brumpy, hope those last 3 days produce enough to make it worth your while and expense. Post some shots when you get back.
Steve
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#6 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10595 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:16 PM

Jeff's first day at sea and we run into a superpod delphinus capensis (long beaked common dolphin), some 1000 strong. Almost got in with a baitball but a Bryde's whale spoiled the party by eating it all in a single gulp. Then the 20 knot Wind hit and we followed 5 battling humpback with lobtailing, breaching and fun slaps with the wind. Nice first day, but many around are disappointed due to the lack of understanding of what actually happens.
As for drinks, we are meeting at the monkey at 730pm. Anyone in the area please come by to socialize.

Drew

#7 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10595 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:28 AM

Loftus got in on his first African baitfish activity, fast moving.herring that didn't stay around too long. He likes his D800 resolution.

Drew

#8 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10595 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:59 AM

Loftus had a slight brown patch moment while following some sardines when a humback breached right next to him! My heart stopped but I still took the pic!!

JJfb.jpg

Humpback breaches right next to Loftus and friend.

jjfb2.jpg

Only 1 second and many heartbeats later did the 2nd diver emerge from the wake!!!

Drew

#9 Gary.Makai

Gary.Makai

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:58 AM

which one was Jeff? Hope he got the shot!

#10 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10595 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:04 AM

Well, my campaign is over for 2012. Probably the worst year for amount of fish and predators, mostly in bad viz. That didn't stop some operators from jumping in! Will write a report soon.

Drew

#11 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4570 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:09 AM

Thanks Drew; despite the lack of underwater action, still had a great time; plan to be back - it is addictive. I plan to spend more time there hopefully next year. As for the whale breaching above, (I was the one towards the front of the whale) viz was so bad that I really only saw it as it broke the surface. Needless to say I tried bringing my camera up in time to get an over under, but only got one image that shows even part of a whale, and the rest I was covered in water. More fps on my D800 would not have made a lick of difference.
Here's the only one that shows a piece of the whale. Also does not help that my lens was cranked out to 18mm. The rest just show water over my dome. Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by loftus, 31 July 2012 - 10:10 AM.

Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.