#21 Ryan

Ryan

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1055 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:34 PM

1/100 to avoid motion blur of subjects.

Thanks, I guess I just don't see the benefit of having a 2/3 f-stop shutter speed range (1/100 desired minimum to 1/160 max sync). This leaves only 1/100, 1/125, and 1/160, which is awfully close to just shooting manual exposure.

founder of Reef Photo & Video
manufacturer of Zen Domes

distributor of Nauticam in the Americas

n2theblue at reefphoto.com

#22 derway

derway

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1136 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 06:34 PM

Right, which is ANOTHER reason I am waiting for the omd - since it can run from 1/100 to 1/250, with flash sink.
Don Erway
http://picasaweb.google.com/onederway/
http://www.pbase.com/derway

nikon n90s/ikelite housing/twin SS-200 canon G2/ikelite/DS-50/optical TTL slave
sony V3/ikelite/DS-51/Heinrich DA2 slave

#23 holloways

holloways

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:22 AM

HELP ASAP..CURRENTLY ON LIVEABOARD TRIP. Only have connectivity for a couple more hours.

I have my brand new Panasonic GX1, Nauticam Housing and Sea and Sea DX1s with me and am having ALL sorts of trouble. Any ideas… HELP
• When the strobes do fire – something (? The camera??) will turn the strobes off intermittently. In other words, I have set the camera to “forced flash on” . I pop up the little camera flash to trigger the strobes and (when I’m lucky) all is well for a picture or two – then the camera (or housing?) shuts the strobes off (showing the flash symbol w/ a line through it to show the strobes are off). I have to wiggle the lever on the housing to turn the strobes back on each time they turn off. Sometimes the strobes come right back on, sometimes, not. I have to wiggle the lever on the housing – just right – or the strobe won’t come back on. I didn’t turn them off… what is happening? I can’t figure out how to get them to stop shutting off.
• About every second or third shot – they don’t fire at all. Sometimes they won’t fire for an entire dive (although I always test the strobes on the boat before I go in the water. I’ve cleaned the cables, connections, read the manuals, etc.)
• Strobe batteries - I can barely get a whole dive out of an entire set of fully charged enloope (sp) batteries.

What am I doing wrong??? Is it faulty equipment or faulty operator – or both. Help….. I’m mid trip and want the beast to work.

#24 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2297 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 07:42 PM

This sounds similar to the problem I had with my housing at first. They had to adjust the shutter release lever.

In my case I believe the shutter release button on the housing was not pushing the camera's shutter release button down far enough to shoot.

As a quick fix I put a small amount of felt on the contact point of the shutter release lever. You could use some tape. The shutter release was not pushing down the shutter release on the camera far enough.

Otherwise I would get some small screw drivers and try to adjust the lever if I was on a trip. You would have to determine if the lever is pushing down the shutter release button on the camera too far, or not far enough.

Note, shot my Nauticam GX 1 housing today in macro with no problems and 2 weeks ago in wide angle, also with no problems. This was after the shutter release button was adjusted.

Note, shot my Nauticam GX 1 housing today in macro with no problems and 2 weeks ago in wide angle, also with no problems. This was after the shutter release button was adjusted.
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#25 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2297 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 07:45 PM

I believe the GX1 will synch at the higher shutter speeds. As I understand it the on camera flash is not powerful enough to fire a full flash faster than 1/160th. If you are using the on camera flash to power an optical cable external strobe you can fire at higher synch speeds.

Though again I haven't tried it in Aperture mode.
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website