INON colour shifting diffusers

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1168 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:47 PM

What a great idea and thanks to Alex for showcasing them during the hangout.

If I may make a suggestion though? Would it be useful if these
warming filters were available in two (or more) densities? My rationale for this is that a relatively high density warming diffuser will allow INON strobes to really dial down to maybe GN1 which would be so useful in those low light CFWAs. It's in this situation where, at present, I also carry the standard 1.5 stop diffusers.

Of course, it's sod's law that only yesterday I bought a couple of YS-250 Pros for their quality of light and ability to dial down to GN1... But they'll still do good service for WA with the NA-5D3
· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm
· INON Z-240s & Sea & Sea YS-250 Pros
· SmallHD DP4 monitor & NA-DP4. Fisheye Aquavolt 3500s & 7000s
· Zen DP-100, DP-200 & DP-230

#2 derway

derway

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1136 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:48 PM

I agree. That was a highlight of the whole hang out.

And what I want to know is, can they be made to fit the sea and sea D1? Get the quality of light and small package.
Don Erway
http://picasaweb.google.com/onederway/
http://www.pbase.com/derway

nikon n90s/ikelite housing/twin SS-200 canon G2/ikelite/DS-50/optical TTL slave
sony V3/ikelite/DS-51/Heinrich DA2 slave

#3 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8375 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:28 AM

If I may make a suggestion though? Would it be useful if these
warming filters were available in two (or more) densities? My rationale for this is that a relatively high density warming diffuser will allow INON strobes to really dial down to maybe GN1 which would be so useful in those low light CFWAs. It's in this situation where, at present, I also carry the standard 1.5 stop diffusers.

Of course, it's sod's law that only yesterday I bought a couple of YS-250 Pros for their quality of light and ability to dial down to GN1... But they'll still do good service for WA with the NA-5D3

I think it is a useful and will hopefully be a good value product. There are a lot of people out there with Z240s, Z220s and S180s etc. And this is something that will improve an aspect of the performance of their existing strobes (rather than making them buy new ones). So good on Inon, I say.

Here is the original article I wrote on this subject, for those that are interested - but I will be writing an updated one after I have done some test shots in Egypt in a couple of weeks time. The original article was about convincing people about the theory - so I think it will be good to re-write it with a focus on more practical advice (as on the whole people no-longer need to be convinced this is important).
http://www.amustard....=...news&size=s

Inon are making two versions of this filter - a transparent one and a -0.5 diffuser - both with the colour conversion filter built in. I feel most people will favour the -0.5 diffuser as this is the most appropriate for the strobes when used underwater.

I am not convinced that you need to be able to turn down the strobes more than this for normal shooting. If you strobes are too bright on their lowest setting, I suggest that you consider lowering the ISO or closing the aperture. On full frame I would usually shoot CFWA on f/13-f/18 and as such strobes don't need to be on minimum power at all.

CFWA in Canada. Strobes not on minimum power. This was shot on f/18 on DX and still could do with more depth of field. On full frame there would be less depth of field. So I wouldn't be afraid of stopping down.
Posted Image

The only time I might want less powerful strobes than this is when I don't want to see any foreground light - when using the strobes as on camera strobes when shooting off camera strobe shots. And in this case I don't really care what colour temp my on camera strobes are as I don't want to see them.

All that said - if they sell well I can see Inon offering more options in the future.

-----------------

@ Don - as these are an Inon product they won't be making them for Sea & Sea strobes. But I suspect that this might make Sea and Sea think about offering something similar in the future.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#4 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10631 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:33 PM

I'm just about to retire my ailing Z240 for the S&S YS-D1. I'm a little tired of putting filters behind the diffusers as they do break down in water after awhile. Thanks for making my choice more difficult Alex and Inon! :)

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#5 danielstassen

danielstassen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Interests:Dive, dive, and dive again.

Posted 10 June 2012 - 03:25 AM

Hi Alex,

Unfortunately, I have not been able to watch this video as my internet connection is too slow.

I was wondering how much warmer the strobes would be with those diffusers. Would they get warmer than Ikelite strobes?

Cheers

Daniel
Daniel Stassen

Marine Biologist, Pearl Farmer, and photographer at heart...

My Blog: www.dstassen.com

My equipment: Canon 7D, Nauticam ND7, Nauticam 180 degree viewfinder, lenses (canon) 100 mm, 60 mm, 10-22 mm. Twin Inon Z240 strobes, 3 x Sea&Sea YS110 alpha.