• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 britishseapowerman

britishseapowerman

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:27 AM

I'm headed to Guadalupe in August on the Nautilus Explorer and I am looking for any input anyone has on the setup to shoot the sharks from the cages. I have the T2i and 2 lens set ups I plan on using:

1) the Tokina 10-17mm behind the S&S NX Dome Port
2) the Canon 17-40mm behind the S&S NX Dome Port plus the 40mm Port Extension

Having researched this in depth I am concerned that I may have made a bad decision with the 17-40mm and perhaps should have went for the 10-22mm (but its not too late to correct the mistake!). I understand there will be no 'right' setup 100% of the time - but I chose this setup as I think it will give me a good mix of shots of the sharks. Any input anyone has on shooting sharks from cages would be appreciated - especially in the good viz conditions at guadalupe. Should I bite the bullet and get the 10-22mm as well????

Thanks,

#2 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:49 AM

Try to make sure that anyone who is in the cage with you is not bouncing around in excitement. A bouncing cage is a pain. Since they have 3 cages in the water, I would put myself in a far corner spot so other shooters do not get in the way of my imaging. Wear a drysuit, hood and gloves. August is a bit early for Whites at Guadalupe but you should have a good time. Unfortunately, no bacon with your eggs aboard the NE. The vis is usually pretty decent there but I do not know whether the NE has started to chum again. They stopped for awhile which brought the whites going from left to right and right to left but not coming into you head first which is always a better shot imo.
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#3 gina

gina

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:10 AM

Having researched this in depth I am concerned that I may have made a bad decision with the 17-40mm and perhaps should have went for the 10-22mm (but its not too late to correct the mistake!). I understand there will be no 'right' setup 100% of the time - but I chose this setup as I think it will give me a good mix of shots of the sharks. Any input anyone has on shooting sharks from cages would be appreciated - especially in the good viz conditions at guadalupe. Should I bite the bullet and get the 10-22mm as well????

When I was at Guadalupe I shot with a 5D (full-frame sensor) and a 16-35mm lens. It was rare that the animals were so close that I couldn't frame the shots well. When I was down 30 feet in the submersible cage the sharks were often too far away to shoot with the 16-35. All that being said, if I were to do it again I would shoot with my 16-35, but I would also bring my 15mm fisheye just for a different style of shot.

Here are my photos so you can get an idea of how that lens was shooting out there: (but please note that I was new to u/w photography at the time and those shots aren't great).

-Gina

#4 britishseapowerman

britishseapowerman

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:46 AM

When I was at Guadalupe I shot with a 5D (full-frame sensor) and a 16-35mm lens. It was rare that the animals were so close that I couldn't frame the shots well. When I was down 30 feet in the submersible cage the sharks were often too far away to shoot with the 16-35. All that being said, if I were to do it again I would shoot with my 16-35, but I would also bring my 15mm fisheye just for a different style of shot.

Here are my photos so you can get an idea of how that lens was shooting out there: (but please note that I was new to u/w photography at the time and those shots aren't great).

-Gina

Thanks - Gina - that's what I hoped to hear:) Great shots!

#5 philsokol

philsokol

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:41 PM

When I was there a couple years ago, I shot the 10-17 on my 40D and it was too wide for 90% of the shots. If I were going back today, I'd bring my Sigma 17-70 for the extra reach, so I think your 17-40 should be perfect.

Have a great trip!

Phil

Phil Sokol
Canon 5D3 and 7D, Nauticam and Subal, an assortment of strobes and too many damn lenses!
"Hey Dean! How do you work this crazy thing?!" Jerry Lewis

#6 haring

haring

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 05:56 PM

I'm headed to Guadalupe in August on the Nautilus Explorer and I am looking for any input anyone has on the setup to shoot the sharks from the cages. I have the T2i and 2 lens set ups I plan on using:

1) the Tokina 10-17mm behind the S&S NX Dome Port
2) the Canon 17-40mm behind the S&S NX Dome Port plus the 40mm Port Extension

Thanks,

Please share your photos when you are back!!!

#7 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:09 AM

When I was there a couple years ago, I shot the 10-17 on my 40D and it was too wide for 90% of the shots. If I were going back today, I'd bring my Sigma 17-70 for the extra reach, so I think your 17-40 should be perfect.

Have a great trip!

Phil

Would like to see some examples of the shots you took with the 10-17. Since they come in pretty close, surprised that the 10-17 was too wide. It's been awhile since I've been there and didn't use a 10-17 the last time so would love to see some of your examples.
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#8 Guest_patrickwilson86_*

Guest_patrickwilson86_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2012 - 05:56 AM

Like the shark itself, humans must use stealth and patience to capture their target. On countless occasions, I have watched sharks turn tail and flee as an overly excited photographer races after it with “strobes a’blazin.” More often than not, the photographer ends up with that much sought after tail photo…

Sharks are spooked by sudden bursts of motion. Their instinctive reaction is to get away from the “noise” maker. Therefore, the best approach is to remain calm, move slowly, and avoid big clouds of bubbles. A small steady stream of bubbles is less intrusive than the large explosion associated with holding your breath!